Why become a member? ×

Love for Squire basses..?

jimmy_lazers

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1341497565' post='1720064']
Don't wish to hijack the thread but if anyone's interested in a P bass special I have one up for grabs at the moment;
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/180678-squier-precision-special-l150-collected-or-short-delivery/page__hl__squier__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]
[/quote]
That looks nice - and nice price too. I have an Indonesian 'gunmetal' silver one, lovely bass and all original Squier except the Schaller strap locks.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1341566274' post='1720947']
And after reading this trhead... I've decided tonight's gig will be done with my Korean Squier jazz.
The original pickups were a bit disappointing but the bass feels great, so I put some better pickups on it and I really like it.

Wow that does look really nice

[/quote]

Edited by rogerstodge

I owned the "unofficial" Jaco P styled jazz bass and my god I loved it to pieces but had to sell it to raise funds: I'd happily own it again but the price being the same it was when I bought it about 4 years ago, think I'll wait a whole or see what fender bring out with just a rosewood fret.

Really good basses though, especially for beginners who want a bit of quality compared to some.

BSB

I'm pretty new to Bass so when I went to PMT in Bristol to check out the possibilities the sales gur steered be away from the the expensive mols to a squire copy. He said "before you try anything els try this as you are goin to have to spend an awful lot more money to get something that will compare to it" and it was a cmfortable nice sounding bass. Mentally I still do it every time I play a new bass. Great value and a good quality experience.

I've owned one. It was great quality. My current bitsa Jazz has a really nice Squier body.

But one thing really, really bugs me.

If I wrote that I palyed a Fendre Precision, all would chortle merrily. Or Gisbon. Or Rickenbarker.

So please, spell it right. It really IS NOT Squire, it is [color=#ff0000][b]SQUIER[/b][/color].

Rant over.

+1 for a bit of french kissing with the Squier. Mines a beat up very old Korean P copy i got off of Ebay. Its meant to be a backup bass and it sits patiently at gigs tucked away behind the rig. Its completely as it was when it left the factory and sounds buttery beautiful and thick. Ugly as sin though.

By the second set i can't resist it and it comes out to play for some of the old 70s funk classics. Pleasure to play and built like a tank. I do love my Squier :)

Ive never really owned a big bucks bass - the most expensive one i ever owned was a Warwick Streamer Rockbass, or a Rockbass Corvette - I bought both for £120 and regret selling them.

BUT - I recently bought anew (first ever new guitar) Squier VM 70's FSR Jazz Bass (with the binding and block inlays) and it is by far the best bass ive owned or played. Sounds just right for everything i play, whether its thru a PA, my old Peavey TKO, my Trace SMC 150, or my Trace V-Type 4x8 Combo - doesnt matter.

I wouldnt even dream of upgrading anything, and im eyeing up the VM Tele Bass (in butterscotch please!).

Just goes to show that you dont need £1000's to get a decent sounding bass.

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1341350573' post='1717669']
Ive never owned or even tried a squire, only cos it dont say fender on the headstock... Think i may well give one a go after reading this thread,
Anyone got a lefty for sale??
[/quote]

Hi Rodge,
I thought you might like to know one has turned up on the bay-[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jazz-Left-Handed-Natural-Finish-Bass-/150852608161?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jazz-Left-Handed-Natural-Finish-Bass-/150852608161?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars[/url]

[quote name='LeftyBiskit' timestamp='1341763184' post='1723720']

Hi Rodge,
I thought you might like to know one has turned up on the bay-[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jazz-Left-Handed-Natural-Finish-Bass-/150852608161?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jazz-Left-Handed-Natural-Finish-Bass-/150852608161?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars[/url]
[/quote]

I had one of the "legendary" Jazz basses I believe, a Silver Series, that when I joined on this forum were going for nearly £400. I'd sold it before that for a 100 quid because repeated experiences demonstrated that it wasn't up to spec, especially when I started hiring Stingrays and G&Ls for the studio. So it came as some surprise when I tried out a student's Affinity P bass and it was brilliant and way way better than an 80s Fender bass that I once had. I suppose my point is that even with budget marques a received wisdom exists and potential purchasers should make their own mind up. An affinity will be coming my way as a spare soon hopefully. Followed by a Dingwall super p 5...

I managed to pick up a CV jazz on here a while ago for £200 which had been modified with some Wizard 64's. I can safely say it's probably the best £200 I've ever spent. Perfect Jaco-like bridge tone and with both pick ups together it sounds so warm and prominent, a complete all rounder. I even preferred it over a Marcus Miller jazz I had a little while ago, both for playability and tone and as such it was rendered useless and made its way out of my stable.

I would really like to get a James Johnston Jazz as they just look brilliant and with a quick cheap mod would make it sound equally as amazing.