Why become a member? ×

I'm in a Band!!

seashell

Thanks again everyone. :)

You're right Monckyman, I'll have to put earplugs on my shopping list now.

And I'm going to treat myself to a skull ring (that's a skull-shaped ring for your finger, discreet, before you start getting any ideas!! :lol: )
No seriously, I really am. I've always wanted one and I think it is 'de rigour' for an actual band member. And less extreme than getting a tattoo! :lol:

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1341390798' post='1718021']
Thanks once again for all your great comments and encouragement. I'll keep you posted with any major developments :)
Next rehearsal is Monday .... :)
[/quote]

Nice one Seashell. Enjoy. BTW isn't a major development when you go from C minor to Eb?

Oh Wow!

I am [u]so[/u] pleased for you Shell :party:

You're about to embark on an absolutely fantastic musical adventure - playing with other musicians massively accelerates musical ability.

I still have fond memories of the first band I ever played in some 30 years ago and, although they were rubbish, it helped shaped me into the musician I am today (shut yer gobs you lot in the cheap seats... <_< ).

Even if it comes to nothing, it is a damn sight easier moving from band to band than it is moving from 'nothing' to a band - so a 'win' whichever way you look at it. :)

I've got access to three 'plug n play' nights over here that I can guarantee a 'slot' in if you guys ever want to perform in front of a live audience before hitting Wembley Stadium. :D

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1341508680' post='1720301']

Even if it comes to nothing, it is a damn sight easier moving from band to band than it is moving from 'nothing' to a band - so a 'win' whichever way you look at it. :)

[/quote]

Cheers for those kind words ian, especially the above. I was thinking exactly along those lines. Also huge thanks for the invite to your plug and play nights, but I really dont think we're ready to get out of the Black Country yet!

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1341327208' post='1717097']
We are but days away from a moan about guitarists and volume ;)
[/quote]

My gigs are for the cats and chickens, but I am already having volume wars with OH who is on lead guitar! LOL!

Then there is the timing I am the rhythm section, I keep time (well) he needs to stick with me, not expect me to bend to his vague time signature that bears a passing resemblance to 4/4 ;)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1341519493' post='1720512']
Also huge thanks for the invite to your plug and play nights, but I really dont think we're ready to get out of the Black Country yet!
[/quote]

I didn't mean next week ya daft git. :)
There will be spaces if or when you and your pale, ricket ridden mates from the Black Country step blinkingly out of the workhouse into the sunshine... :P

They're not actually all my plug n play nights - I've come to an 'arrangement' with them insofar as I tell them what I want and they give me it.
I'm unsure whether it's my charm, wit and sophistication that gets me this deal or if they're just worried I might play a bass solo at them... :rolleyes:

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1341520540' post='1720541']
My gigs are for the cats and chickens, but I am already having volume wars with OH who is on lead guitar! LOL!

Then there is the timing I am the rhythm section, I keep time (well) he needs to stick with me, not expect me to bend to his vague time signature that bears a passing resemblance to 4/4 ;)
[/quote]

[size=4]Ah.[/size]
[size=4]The old 3.85/4 time signature... ;)[/size]

Thanks again guys. I don't know if I should reveal the band name and location yet...
There is a gig pencilled in for mid August. At a pub the Black Country but I don't think I'll be publicising it. I fear we are going to be a bit amateurish.

@ Sarah - I wish they [b]would[/b] listen to me! In fact I wish they would all listen to each other. Some of it sounds like an audible mexican wave at the moment!! :lol:

Nevertheless I am still hugely enjoying it. Feeling a lot more confident about everything now. If I can cope with this lot, I can cope with anything. :lol:

• 3 months later...

I had an email today from my son's drum teacher saying his mate is looking for a bassist and thinks I'd be a good fit. He must be desperate. I took my bass along to a drum lesson and played a grade 3 piece with him. Not sure if I've got the necessary experience and bottle but I've got the gear so I might have a go even if I start off playing root notes or something. Dunno. I want to get into a band at some stage but maybe after just 9 months playing its a tad optimistic?

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1351281335' post='1849776']
I had an email today from my son's drum teacher saying his mate is looking for a bassist and thinks I'd be a good fit. He must be desperate. I took my bass along to a drum lesson and played a grade 3 piece with him. Not sure if I've got the necessary experience and bottle but I've got the gear so I might have a go even if I start off playing root notes or something. Dunno. I want to get into a band at some stage but maybe after just 9 months playing its a tad optimistic?
[/quote]

You'd be fine :P

As you know, I joined my band after 2 months.... Now THAT was a tad optimistic but it has made me a more focused player!!

Mr Ace will help you with any songs you are struggling with.

I have started pulling faces at songs whose basslines are suited to mainly root notes now!!

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1351281335' post='1849776']
[/quote]

Gizzit a go, I joined a band after three months, started gigging after seven and it definately helped that I was able to develop confidence and stage presence while I was developing my playing.