Why become a member? ×

Using Fingers on your Plucking Hand to Mute Bass Stings

dakanoosh

Hey All!

What do you all think about using your 3rd and 4th finger on your plucking hand to mute individual strings (manly your 3rd finger on the A string and the 4th on D).
I have personally just started experimenting with this and finding it very useful, however I am worried about adding tension to my hand.

What do you all think? and can you think of any other bass players who have adopted this style?, only guys I'm aware of are Jaco and Victor Bailey.

[url="http://newspaper.li/static/e5549068229841a6745a059176d72a12.jpg"]http://newspaper.li/...59176d72a12.jpg[/url] (Link to a picture of Jaco using the style of plucking i am on about)

I find it much easier to use the thumb, as in the "Floating Thumb" technique. Great for muting 4's but especially 5 and 6 sting basses.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU[/url]

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1340993794' post='1712684']
I've found that this technique is pretty essential on a 5-string. I could never get the hang of floating thumb myself.
[/quote]

just tried the floating thumb out on my 5... definitely feels a lot more 'correct' on it...

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1340993794' post='1712684']
I've found that this technique is pretty essential on a 5-string. I could never get the hang of floating thumb myself.
[/quote]
Same here, I just had a play around on a 5 and I do all kinds of stuff and all instinctively I guess as I have never really tried to learn a technique for it.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1340994959' post='1712716']
Same here, I just had a play around on a 5 and I do all kinds of stuff and all instinctively I guess as I have never really tried to learn a technique for it.
[/quote]

I always did it instinctively too, I have only recently started actually look at techniques for muting, a student of mine asked me about muting so after search around you find theres as many techniques for muting as there is plucking!

I tend to end up using whatever is most convenient at the time - 3rd and\or 4th fingers, thumb, heel of my hand or passing cat.

I'd go as far as saying that with the possible exception of actually 'knowing where the notes are', muting is probably the most important technique going and one that is only given cursory acknowledgement as it's not at all exciting...

I can't get with the floating thumb thing, although more recently I've been trying to involve my thumb a lot more in my playing (kind of like Matt Garrison's technique but less crazy fast and without my ring finger) and it's given me more need for sharper left-hand technique when I can't be anchoring my thumb.

It's perfect acceptable to be using your 3rd and 4th fingers to mute. I use my 4th in conjunction with good muting control from my first and second fingers.

[quote name='dakanoosh' timestamp='1340994029' post='1712694']
just tried the floating thumb out on my 5... definitely feels a lot more 'correct' on it...
[/quote]

Yeah, I think some people find floating thumb easier. It just doesn't feel right to me. Different strokes for different folks I guess!

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1341007519' post='1712905']
I tend to end up using whatever is most convenient at the time - 3rd and\or 4th fingers, thumb, heel of my hand or passing cat.

I'd go as far as saying that with the possible exception of actually 'knowing where the notes are', muting is probably the most important technique going and one that is only given cursory acknowledgement as it's not at all exciting...
[/quote]

Yup, all this.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1341080713' post='1713688']
Why would you need to do this. I think the time would be better spent cleaning up your technique elsewhere.
[/quote]

muting is so important, record yourself playing without trying to mute in anyway and listen to it back... what you will hear is all your stings ringing behind what your playing, now imagine if you where recording a song in the key of C# Major for example... your basically then playing a huge clashing chord behind every note you play... never overlook the importance of muting, perfecting it will make you a much better sounding bass player.

Edited by dakanoosh

I do it all the time. You can use that muting ring/pinkie finger to pluck the string when moving from E to A, for example. Then plop your ring finger on the D string. Repeat.

When your ring finger is strong enough you'll have a nifty three-finger plucking technique thrown in for free as well.