Why become a member? ×

Gumtree

far0n

Got a cab advertised on Gumtree and it was only on for a couple of hours or so before someone enquired. However the second message I got from the same chap has asked for my name and email address.....as gumtree conversations hide your details. Any body else find this as suspicious as me ? Maybe I'm just being paranoid but the person seems more interested in knowing who I am rather than what I'm selling.

[quote name='far0n' timestamp='1340830807' post='1710346']
Got a cab advertised on Gumtree and it was only on for a couple of hours or so before someone enquired. However the second message I got from the same chap has asked for my name and email address.....as gumtree conversations hide your details. Any body else find this as suspicious as me ? Maybe I'm just being paranoid but the person seems more interested in knowing who I am rather than what I'm selling.
[/quote]

Yes I had a few emails like that from a couple of people after I advertised on gumtree. Seemed weird so I ignored them.

This is one of them - [b][i]'Thanks for the response,kindly get back to me with your email address and your full name and finally your last asking price so as to know whom am dealing with for further discussion....

Hope to hear from you soon...'[/i][/b]

Edited by gjones

Now [b]that[/b]. Sigh.

Hadn't heard about a scam like this before. If this indeed is new, I'm afraid it's gonna be very effective and with lots of potential, as stage 2 is the interesting bit.
It should however last only for a very short period.

That said, some people [b]still[/b] fall for the Nigeria scams, so who knows...

I'm selling a PA System on Gumtree at the mo. Well it's basically sold, I've received a deposit and he's coming back tomorrow with the rest of the cash.

Selling for £260 I received this from another idiot

[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]Hi will pick up if i can have it at 100, what's your last price?[/size][/font][font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[size=4]I told him he could have it for £20...................haven't heard from him since[/size] :lol:[/size][/font]

I was selling some none music related stuff on Gumtree last month
received a message asking for my mobile number which i ignored & carried on communicating on e-bay.

Eventually after a few messages was passed i rang him from work & agreed a time & date. Although i was suspicious because of his name, he turned up & was one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet & paid full asking price.

Sometimes although people come across as a little dodge, we are all (Buyers & sellers) very jaded nowadays.

I'm advertising a watch on Gumtree, and it's only attracted scams. People don't negotiate the price, offering the full amount straight away. They then say they've paid by PayPal and the funds will be released when proof of postage is sent to PayPal.

[color=#222222]
[color=#222222][size=3][b]Emanuel Osi[/b][/size][/color]
Jun 17 (11 days ago) [/color]
[center] [/center]
[center][color=#444444][size=2][b][/b][/size][/color][/center]
[color=#777777]to me[/color]

[color=#222222]Thanks for the response, i agreed with the condition of the guitar , i will offer you £190 to keep any other offers off, if my offer is granted kindly get back to me now with your Name and PayPal email address so as to make the payment asap, due to nature of my job i will not be able to come and inspect it but my agent will do so on my behalf, i will like you to send me your home address and so that we can arrange for pick up scheduling as i will like the item to be picked,so NO SHIPPING.[/color]

[color=#222222]Please get back to me now so as to make the payment asap.
Regards

[/color]

This???

Edited by TheGreek

Usually a Scam, I agree. I get correspondence like that all the time while I'm trying to sell my 1972 Buick Skylark GS. Funny thing is, they'll say they want to buy the car right away, without even seeing it. So I kindly reply to them with an email stating that their IP# has now been logged and forwarded to the proper authorities. :D