Why become a member? ×

Novelty bass ??

Torben Hedstrøm

It's a Kramer DMZ of some description - I'm not really up on them enough to know the model numbers. Definitely not a novelty bass though, just an idea that never really took off although ally necked basses still have their adherents.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1340836354' post='1710464']
I believe Mo Foster used one of these on the theme tune to 'Minder'
[/quote]

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1340849049' post='1710560']
As used by Alan Lancaster of the Quo in the 70's.
[/quote]

Lancaster used both aluminium-necked Kramers and Travis Bean basses.

Pete Briquette of the Boomtown Rats was also a Kramer aluminium user.

However the various different series of these Kramer basses all looked and sounded very different to each other. To lump them all together is a bit like saying - Fender Basses, Phil Lynott and JJ Burnel used them, when the OP was showing a Jazz bass.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1340878293' post='1710817']
always wanted one of them old TB or kramer ally necked thingys, bass or guitar, don't mind.
Never got one when they were cheap in the 90s though, and now they're all vintage and collectable and expensive
:(
[/quote]

Yep, this one is about £600...

[quote name='Torben Hedstrøm' timestamp='1340886172' post='1711015']
Yep, this one is about £600...
[/quote]

If it hasn't been modified and the wooden neck inserts aren't coming away from the aluminium then depending on how much wear there is (once again impossible to see from the tiny photographs posted) that's about at the top end of the right price range ATM.

Confession time! I swapped my Olly White 64 Precision for one of these back in about 1981......Well it was new and shiny..and sounded like the Slapy thing I was after at the time. I kept it for about 6 months and the bloke who got the Precision has still got it........MMM!......sometimes you learn the hard way!!! For me, it wasn't a keeper!!

Edited by Blartfactor10

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1340849049' post='1710560']
As used by Alan Lancaster of the Quo in the 70's.
[/quote]

Yeh, it looked too big for him! I thought his sound went real downhill when he stopped using his Mustangs- became very harsh & didn't blend well when he went to Kramer & Tarvis Bean- in my opinion of course!! I liked & still do like the old Quo sound- don't like change ..... :rolleyes: boomtish.

Nice looking bass though & different.