Why become a member? ×

Silly question.

bobodhi

Hi all, when I'm looking at some electric basses, I sometimes see a rubber/wooden block below the strings. It's often called a thumbrest, well for the life of me I can't figure that out, how can it be a thumbrest if it's 'below' the strings. Cheers, all.

It was originally intended for the fingers, using the thumb to pluck the strings, and is called a 'tug bar'. Fnarr. That's what Leo intended, but of course he wasn't a bass player himself. It got moved to the bass side in 1974 or thereabouts when it became a 'thumb rest'.

It was eventually discarded altogether on later models, along with the bridge and pickup covers (ashtrays), all generally regarded as being a waste of bloody time!

Covers and thumb rest are [i]de rigeur[/i] on vintage instruments though, and add to their value. I'm not fussed, myself. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1340653667' post='1707702']Covers and thumb rest are [i]de rigeur[/i] on vintage instruments though, and add to their value. I'm not fussed, myself. :)[/quote]
Always the first things I took off a bass, and chucked in the bin.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1340653667' post='1707702']
It was originally intended for the fingers, using the thumb to pluck the strings, and is called a 'tug bar'. Fnarr. That's what Leo intended, but of course he wasn't a bass player himself. It got moved to the bass side in 1974 or thereabouts when it became a 'thumb rest'.
[/quote]

This. As great as his design was, he wasn't a bass player, and as such he got a couple of details wrong. This was one of them.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1340654505' post='1707724']
....As great as his design was, he wasn't a bass player, and as such he got a couple of details wrong. This was one of them.
[/quote]

Most electric bass players started out using their thumbs.

Leo Fender also put a strap button on the back of the head stock, because that's where guitar players put their straps. What else was he going to do?

His designs were right for the time but players moved on and found different ways to use his instruments.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1340666027' post='1707977']
Leo Fender also put a strap button on the back of the head stock, because that's where guitar players put their straps. What else was he going to do?
[/quote]

Did that not work? I've wondered about this.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1340672027' post='1708038']
Did that not work? I've wondered about this.
[/quote]

It would work, the bass would also balance better.

On the downside though, your bass won't be as manouverable (IME at least from experience with acoustic guitars, they just kinda stick in the position they're in, more prone to laying horizontal too) and you have the extra weight on the neck (and basses are heavier than acoustic guitars). If you move about whilst playing, they're both considerations.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1340666027' post='1707977']
Leo Fender also put a strap button on the back of the head stock, because that's where guitar players put their straps.[/quote]

And also so that the bass could be played in a near-vertical position, thus easing the transition to electric bass for traditional 'doghouse' upright bass players. It wasn't ideal though, and was discontinued some time in the early 70s.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1340674992' post='1708043']
It would work, the bass would also balance better.....
[/quote]
This is a bit OT, but I think most people would find the balance significantly [i]worse[/i] when using the headstock button. I used to think it would be better, but then I tried it with a particularly neck-divey bass. With the strap tied to a string round the headstock the bass became so unbalanced that given half a chance the body would drop to the floor and the headstock would try and punch me in the side of the face. Not something I'd recommend! :D
There's a reason why lots of acoustic players (on guitar or bass) do this but very few electric players - the body of an acoustic is rather lighter than that of a solidbody.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1340674992' post='1708043']
It would work, the bass would also balance better.

On the downside though, your bass won't be as manouverable (IME at least from experience with acoustic guitars, they just kinda stick in the position they're in, more prone to laying horizontal too) and you have the extra weight on the neck (and basses are heavier than acoustic guitars). If you move about whilst playing, they're both considerations.
[/quote]

Thanks :) That's how I have my Ashbory, BTW - almost vertical.

Edited by alyctes

I have been playing bass guitar for about 35yrs, I always wanted to know how you used that bit of wood as a thumb rest too. Thanks for clearing that up, I will sleep very easy tonight now I know. Really thanks

Ta very glad
BIGd

[quote name='bobodhi' timestamp='1340826957' post='1710263']
LOL, good to know that Leo didn't know s**t about basses...[/quote]

When he made the first P-Bass, there wasn't much s**t [i]to[/i] know about electric basses! :lol:
I reckon he got most of it right in the first place.
The current standard USA P is still essentially the same as Leo's 57 version.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1340828274' post='1710284']
I have been playing bass guitar for about 35yrs, I always wanted to know how you used that bit of wood as a thumb rest too. Thanks for clearing that up, I will sleep very easy tonight now I know. Really thanks

Ta very glad
BIGd
[/quote]

LOL, my pleasure.. thank god for the internet, when i started guitar you'd walk into the local shop and ask something like and wait for the riducule to start so... you learned not to ask.