Why become a member? ×

NBD - A birthday present to myself

Jellyfish

So here's my new Ibanez Prestige 4005E, courtesy of a very friendly Basschatter from further south! It was my birthday yesterday, and he generously agreed to meet up half-way at fairly short notice. I rushed home and opened it up and, wow, what a bass. I've been after a decent Ibanez for a long long while as I prefer the neck and string spacing on these. I didn't have to try it before I bought it to know how good it was and it is certainly the nicest bass i've played to date. It has a great range of sounds and feels really easy to play.[b]My only gripe with it is the knobs, they're a bit ugly! And finding replacement ones that aren't so unattractive is quite difficult, so if anyone 'knows a guy' lemme know! [/b]

[b]Some beautiful grain in the neck![/b]

Presents made to self are always the best, I approve!

That is one sexy mother///// bass! That a wenge fretboard over the bubinga neck is beautiful and I am glad you didn't go for the model with the gold hardware as it looks so 80's whereas this one is spot on, well done. Yeah lots of sounds with that preamp and the ability to go passive too makes it a great all rounder, and those "tortellini" :D pickups are very powerful.

Enjoy, I want one too now.

[quote name='ChristopherGilbert' timestamp='1340441306' post='1704409']
So here's my new Ibanez Prestige 4005E, courtesy of a very friendly Basschatter from further south! It was my birthday yesterday, and he generously agreed to meet up half-way at fairly short notice. I rushed home and opened it up and, wow, what a bass. I've been after a decent Ibanez for a long long while as I prefer the neck and string spacing on these. I didn't have to try it before I bought it to know how good it was and it is certainly the nicest bass i've played to date. It has a great range of sounds and feels really easy to play.[b]My only gripe with it is the knobs, they're a bit ugly! And finding replacement ones that aren't so unattractive is quite difficult, so if anyone 'knows a guy' lemme know! [/b]
[/quote]

That's a great looking bass. Very envious :)

Sorry to hear about your unsightly knobs though

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1340441651' post='1704414']
Congrats Chris! Awesome score dude, I'm glad you've found the right bass (eventially!)!

Has the G&L sold then?

Happy Birthday too!
[/quote]

It certainly did! :D

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1340447392' post='1704516']
Now [b]that[/b] is one nice looking bass.
Any idea how it compares to the SR505?
[/quote]

Without sounding too biased, it does blow the 505 out the water. The 505 is a great bass, but I was trying it out a few months back and the B string on it was something that stopped me from considering it. But then this bass has shown me that a well-made, 34" scale bass can have a killer B string!

Thanks for the tips about the knobs guys, i'll certainly check them all out.

Wow, wish I had one of those!! ;)

Glad you're enjoying it Chris. Yeah, the knobs are a bit pants but that's fairly common even for high end basses in my experience. But why do they put crummy 10p knobs on a £1500 instrument? Who knows. (I'm looking at you, Spector!)

Edited by aldude

[quote name='aldude' timestamp='1340574478' post='1706548']
Wow, wish I had one of those!! ;)

Glad you're enjoying it Chris. Yeah, the knobs are a bit pants but that's fairly common even for high end basses in my experience. But why do they put crummy 10p knobs on a £1500 instrument? Who knows. (I'm looking at you, Spector!)
[/quote]

Oh I don't know :(. And they are seeming quite difficult to take off.