Why become a member? ×

A good cab for a 5 string bass?

topcat3355

I'm looking to get a good bass cab preferably under £500 that hits that 30Hz (I've heard the arguments for using EQ to reduce power consumption etc) and was thinking about combining this HARTKE cab:
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Hartke-Hydrive-115-Bass-Cabinet/9VV
With a pair of 10's? probably the swr goliath series

How loud do you want to go? Do you mean you already own the Hartke cab? If you don't then I'd check out a Barefaced cab. In my opinion, the super 12 would beat 2 Hartke cabs hands down.

2 cabs are good but 1 good cab is better.

Hi topcat3355,

On the Barefaced Bass front have a read through Alex's very good Tech Info for more food for thought:
[url="http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information.htm[/url]

Also I believe that the amplified output from low B string to our human ears means we hear the harmonic notes more than the fundamental note so the need for a 30Hz cab is not as critical as you may think... There's some great info on here about all that if you search through, I tried but couldn't find anything immediately so please shoot me down if I'm wrong!

All the best,
Jon

My Markbass 104HF can handle a low A with ease, and they sometimes go for £500 or less used. It says on the specs that it 'goes down to' 30Hz which is about a low B ... but as above it doesnt actually matter so much! I've got a low A out of a 60Hz cab and it sounded fine!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1339891059' post='1696063']
My Markbass 104HF can handle a low A with ease, and they sometimes go for £500 or less used. It says on the specs that it 'goes down to' 30Hz which is about a low B ... but as above it doesnt actually matter so much! I've got a low A out of a 60Hz cab and it sounded fine!
[/quote]

Majority of what we hear isn't the true fundamental, it's more second and thrid harmonics, that are well within the range of any decent cab. You'll hear just about any note in the range fine with pretty much any cab.

A cab probably has the ability to produce 30hz but 30hz when it's full pelt, and keeping up wioth the mids. Not likely.

The answer to the OP's question is really, what ever takes your fancy mate.

BUT! if you really do need that super dooper low end, because you are relying on the cab for all the bass sounds ina room, and the music really does need a power true bottom(synthy dubstep stuff a la' Our Helical Mind) then barefaced is the only cheap and viable option, but you also have to have the power to push that low end too. the maths suggest you need a good 1000watt power amp into a big twin to get decent SPL out of lower than 50hz or so.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1339893144' post='1696083']
Majority of what we hear isn't the true fundamental, it's more second and thrid harmonics, that are well within the range of any decent cab. You'll hear just about any note in the range fine with pretty much any cab.

A cab probably has the ability to produce 30hz but 30hz when it's full pelt, and keeping up wioth the mids. Not likely.

The answer to the OP's question is really, what ever takes your fancy mate.

BUT! if you really do need that super dooper low end, because you are relying on the cab for all the bass sounds ina room, and the music really does need a power true bottom(synthy dubstep stuff a la' Our Helical Mind) then barefaced is the only cheap and viable option, but you also have to have the power to push that low end too. the maths suggest you need a good 1000watt power amp into a big twin to get decent SPL out of lower than 50hz or so.
[/quote]

This.

The way I read the frequency range specs are that the lower the number, the more BASS you get out of the cab! I often have to turn the lows down a little bit because mine throws out so much!

[quote name='Gwilym' timestamp='1339907579' post='1696118']
and if that Hartke cab really does this:

Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 17 kHz

I'll sell all my bass gear on here for £1 :D
[/quote]

It'll still reproduce it, as will a lot of other cabs... Just VERY little. And you wouldn't be able to hear it anyway!

If you think about it a low B fundamental is 31hz, so as I understand(I'm no acoustic engineer) then the second harmonic would be 62hz so and this is what we hear more (closer to the midranger, more than the fundamental anyway) so any cab that has the ability to pump 60hz at a decent SPL that will keep up with the mids of the cab will be good for a low B. A lot of decent cabs out there will do this anyway.

What also helps is having a decent bass with a decent Low B, nice tention, more midrange etc. All helps inm getting that low B out there.

The best B I've heard was on Shep's old Roscoe through his rig. Was immense.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1339893550' post='1696085']

This.

The way I read the frequency range specs are that the lower the number, the more BASS you get out of the cab! I often have to turn the lows down a little bit because mine throws out so much!
[/quote]

+1 i have to do this with my 610, downtuned to c the other day and the lows were making me a bit sick! Markbass heads push out the lows more and more as the volume goes up!

Andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1339923665' post='1696220']
Markbass heads push out the lows more and more as the volume goes up!
[/quote]

Yeah!

I've nearly fallen over onstage before because my feet vibrated to the point where I couldn't feel them anymore :lol: