Why become a member? ×

South West meeting Sun nov 18th 12-4. Venue now also confirmed see #135

0175westwood29

There is a great place in Bournemouth which would be ideal for a bash. Its a rehearsal rooms, very nice and fully equipped. Its also next door to a huge music shop with some great basses. All refreshments on site. I think we need a minimum of about 20 guaranteed from Basschat to make it interesting for them.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1339344139' post='1687120']
There is a great place in Bournemouth which would be ideal for a bash. Its a rehearsal rooms, very nice and fully equipped. Its also next door to a huge music shop with some great basses. All refreshments on site. I think we need a minimum of about 20 guaranteed from Basschat to make it interesting for them.
[/quote]
sounds great but last time i checked Bournemouth aint in the South West!

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1339357638' post='1687421']

sounds great but last time i checked Bournemouth aint in the South West!
[/quote]

Pedant warning...

According to postcode district maps Dorset is officially south west :-)

It's a huge area though, and I understand what you mean. I organised a south west bash couple of years ago, but ended up calling it Dorset bass bash as Devon and Cornwall found it too far!

BottomE, if you're up for getting more details on costs, availability, etc I'm happy to help with organising.

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1339360793' post='1687516']
Pedant warning...

According to postcode district maps Dorset is officially south west :-)

It's a huge area though, and I understand what you mean. I organised a south west bash couple of years ago, but ended up calling it Dorset bass bash as Devon and Cornwall found it too far!

BottomE, if you're up for getting more details on costs, availability, etc I'm happy to help with organising.
[/quote]

Good for you.

The venue should be excellent. It has a recording studio and 6 fully equipped rehearsal rooms, free parking and on-site catering. Its on a very small industrial estate close to lots of shops. Next door is a huge music shop with many beautiful basses to satisfy GAS.

I don't know what you think about timing. The first question is finding a date. Summer would be cool. What about a date in late July?

Costs - i would look to get the rooms for free (can but ask). Refreshments would be cheap - tea coffee etc.

Events - during the day it would be nice to have a couple of workshops running though i have no idea what? Not thinking transcendental meditation but something bass/music related of course.

Band - i could organise some drummers/keys/guitarists to come down to be a sort of house band to play along with.

Dancing Girls?

Let me know your thoughts.

Workshop on dancing girls is mandatory.

See if any local shops/distributor reps will donate some "bits" for a prize draw, either to cover costs or donate to BC.
Shop that would are happy to provide some instruments/back line to demo?
Local tech or luthier for "set up and instrument care" workshop?
Any local virtuoso or working bass players who could do master class, q&a?
House band would be great, maybe with a prearranged set list with chord charts. A prize draw could pay for the bands time.

I found that you need to give people as much notice as poss, and try a Sunday, as Saturdays tend to be "gigging day" for a lot of people.

Just some suggestions.
John

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1339740001' post='1693466']
reckon id make the trip for a day session!
[/quote]

im good for a day trip if its a bit of a distance to go!

good idea on the band aswell! and if we could get a few people to bring there rigs and pedals etc! then be pretty fun day!

andy

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1339741327' post='1693477']
and if we could get a few people to bring there rigs and pedals etc! then be pretty fun day!
[/quote]

Best part of a get together when people bring their rigs and guitars. Great chance to see, hear and play gear that you've not seen or heard before. Also if you've got something you're looking to sell or trade bring em along.

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1339741706' post='1693482']
I'd be interested to showcase my Fretbuzz :-)
[/quote]

Sounds good.....I'd also be interested in your Harley's! ;-)

Thanks for the posts chaps

I will be at the music shop on Saturday so will start the idea off and see what they come back with.

A saturday towards the end of August start of September might be something to aim for.

I'll see how they feel and post back on thread.

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1339743203' post='1693493']

Best part of a get together when people bring their rigs and guitars. Great chance to see, hear and play gear that you've not seen or heard before. Also if you've got something you're looking to sell or trade bring em along.

Sounds good.....I'd also be interested in your Harley's! ;-)
[/quote]

I'll ride down on my chop or Fatboy if there is a crap bass I can noodle on :-)

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1339764791' post='1693962']
I organised all the Yorkshire Bass bashes so would be prepared to pitch in if required?
[/quote]
Thats really nice of you. Don't really know where to start TBH. I think we are going to need some commitment and an idea of numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

News is that it got a kind of half-hearted response from the place that i thought would be ideal :unsure:

For them, the timing seems to be the issue as they have take a lot on recently.

What kind of date would suit most people do you think? Obviously a weekend. Saturday or Sunday? Early or later in the day?

Cheers

Jerry