Why become a member? ×

Punk Britannia basses

Beedster

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1339355664' post='1687366']
For me, punk can be split into 2 parts:

Part 1 - Pistols, Clash, Buzzcocks, Damned, etc. Bands that all looked remarkably different from one another, and in fact, the band members themselves looked different from each other. All the bands looked odd maybe, but easy to tell apart.

Part 2 - GBH, Exploited, Anti Nowhere League, Discharge etc. Bands that looked very similar, with, to an outside view, a set "look".

Both parts had their great bands, and some not so good ones. For me, I prefer the earlier stuff, though have selections of both in my music collection.
[/quote]

I'm Part 1 all the way. Fresh, exciting and inventive.
The Part 2 mob in the mmost part do nothing for me. 'Anarchists' with unwritten rules........

The true glory of punk was making kids realise you don't have to be a virtuoso before you start a band and promoting a DIY ethos to getting things done outside of the established record companies.
Fanzines and home made singles are the blogs and soundclouds of today. You're probably more punk than you know ;)

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1339336053' post='1686968']
Hooky's signed Hondo II Ric copy was in a glass case in PMT in Salford not long ago, with a scary price tag.
Foxton's Ric copy was an Ibanez. Wonder if he's still got it?
[/quote]

I thought Hooky's Hondo got nicked?

[quote name='thunderider' timestamp='1339449796' post='1688793']
wasnt sid vicious taught by lemmy? the white p bass was given to him by lemmy?,rumour was lemmy got that off dee dee ramone?at the end of the day....its all just rock n roll!!
[/quote]

Lemmy TRIED to leach him, http://louderthanwar.com/an-epic-interview-with-lemmy-by-john-robb/

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1339425046' post='1688226']

The true glory of punk was making kids realise you don't have to be a virtuoso before you start a band and promoting a DIY ethos to getting things done outside of the established record companies.
Fanzines and home made singles are the blogs and soundclouds of today. You're probably more punk than you know ;)
[/quote]

Damn right.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1339506573' post='1689439']
I read a magazine interview with Hooky a few years ago where he said he donated it to a charity.I'll dig it out and confirm.
[/quote]

Sue Ryder?

A

[quote name='thunderider' timestamp='1339449796' post='1688793']
wasnt sid vicious taught by lemmy? the white p bass was given to him by lemmy?,rumour was lemmy got that off dee dee ramone?at the end of the day....its all just rock n roll!!
[/quote]

I remember reading an interview with Phil Lynott where he said he also tried (in vain) to teach Sid to play.

On the P bass rumour ....I can't see how Sid's Oly White/Rosewood Precision (via Lemmy) ever belonged to Dee Dee Ramone.
Dee Dee's only ever owned one Oly White/Rosewood P bass. It was a 60's job with a Torty shell scratch plate.
That bass was stolen with the rest of The Ramones gear in the US in 1977, it was replaced by three Oly White/Maple P's with black scratch plates.

There was also rumours going round up north back in the day that Matlock's black Ricky
and one of Jonesy's guitars were acquired via the back of one of 10cc's tour trucks.

• 1 month later...

To go off on (another) tangent, these documentaries always start with the premise that before punk it was all Glam Rock, Prog Rock etc and that punk exploded out of nowhere.

John Blaney's excellent book "A Howlin' Wind" kicks that into touch completely. Punk rock evolved from pub rock (Chilli Willi and the Red Hot Peppers, Dr Feelgood, Ian Drury etc). I never went to a glam rock, prog rock gig but saw plenty of pub rockers and then punk gigs and, with a few exceptions, they did seem to flow from one to the other.

My recollection was that by 1979 it all felt "safe" again. All the edginess that came with punk had faded away (most had signed up to major labels so no longer felt like outsiders). I could comb my hair into a DA without fear of being attacked. Instead we began to worry about power cuts, strikes, union protests, nuclear war and whatnot.

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1342685116' post='1739099']
To go off on (another) tangent, these documentaries always start with the premise that before punk it was all Glam Rock, Prog Rock etc and that punk exploded out of nowhere.

John Blaney's excellent book "A Howlin' Wind" kicks that into touch completely. Punk rock evolved from pub rock (Chilli Willi and the Red Hot Peppers, Dr Feelgood, Ian Drury etc). I never went to a glam rock, prog rock gig but saw plenty of pub rockers and then punk gigs and, with a few exceptions, they did seem to flow from one to the other.

My recollection was that by 1979 it all felt "safe" again. All the edginess that came with punk had faded away (most had signed up to major labels so no longer felt like outsiders). I could comb my hair into a DA without fear of being attacked. Instead we began to worry about power cuts, strikes, union protests, nuclear war and whatnot.
[/quote]

Did you not watch the series? The whole first part was about the Pub Rock era and bands.

And a lot of the post-punk bands like Joy Division, Gang of Four etc. were far more edgy than any of the punk bands.

Edited by BigRedX