Why become a member? ×

it's a about time for me to introduce myself!

Shonks

ok you lot!
you've seen me around on this site making a few comments here and there, selling some basses 'n stuff, so it's probably right that I should just say hello a introduce myself and talk about myself a little.

I call myself Shonks on this site but my actual nickname is Shonkers and I'm quite well known by this title. I answer to Shonks too by the way, and my real christian name is Steve.

[left]I'm 58, soon to be 59. I've been playing bass since I was 14. I've been professional since the age of 19. My first pro job was with the British fusion band Isotope. I took over from Jeff Clyne[/left]
My first TV appearance was on the Old Grey Whistle Test. It was live (and dangerous). We shared the set with 'The Tubes'.

I played with masses of celebrities and been round the world several times.
My middle career was mostly as a session guy working freelance for various producers, and worked on loads of records and TV shows for about 15 years.
I eventually moved on to production and had deals with lots of indie companies making 'club' music. I eventually got a more significant deal with EMI and publishing with Chrysalis.

I'm still in production and mainly writing and producing tracks for TV and Film for various publishers.

I still get the occasional bass session and enjoying playing pubs and clubs with various bands.

I have my own production team 'Palmgrease Productions' which work on various promising artists besides our regular TV work.
I also have my own jazz trio also called 'Palmgrease' which go out and play very occasionally just to stretch our musical muscles.

I moved from London to Essex about 10 years ago. I got married, my wife is from Brasil and I have a place there in Brasil. I've have been playing there too which has been great fun!!

So....that's me in a nutshell I guess.
If you think you know me get in touch, love to hear from you.

best to you all and thanks to the mods for this great site!!

Edited by Shonks

You seemed alright until I read the Essex bit.
Seriously though, welcome to the surface!

The wife of a friend of mine is from Brazil as well ... and ... er ... what can I say ... er ... we need less photos of basschatters on here, and more of their wives!

Keep enjoying, and please share some wisdom.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1339152143' post='1684371']
You accrued over 700 posts before introducing yourself though??? And you've been a member since October 2007?? Bit slow in coming forward I'd say :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]thanks for the stats - i've always been a little reluctant to commit! :on_the_quiet:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Shonks, you've been around for a while. One of the family, I'm sure we've swapped PM's before (can't remember what about) and you seem like a good guy. Good to talk to.
Then saw your resume. Now the great bass posing, that's not a problem.

You wrote a song for the gooners :( :( :(

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1347305022' post='1799158']
Shonks, you've been around for a while. One of the family, I'm sure we've swapped PM's before (can't remember what about) and you seem like a good guy. Good to talk to.
Then saw your resume. Now the great bass posing, that's not a problem.

You wrote a song for the gooners :( :( :(
[/quote]sorry, not sure what your getting at.......what are you saying? what's wrong with writing for the Gooners? best paid job I ever had, I produced it too. I had the whole team in Wessex Studios, it was quite a day. Of course my car was the cheapest in the car park... :lol:

[quote name='Shonks' timestamp='1347316270' post='1799371']
sorry, not sure what your getting at.......what are you saying? what's wrong with writing for the Gooners? best paid job I ever had, I produced it too. I had the whole team in Wessex Studios, it was quite a day. Of course my car was the cheapest in the car park... :lol:
[/quote]
COYS!

;)