Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot V-Type Bass Head?

Golder7

Hello there!

I have recently come into possession of a Trace Elliot V-Type Bass head. I was wondering if anyone had any information on the amp? Like is it any good? What cabs would be best for it? Maybe even a modern day equivalent? How much might it be worth?

I dont think its terribly old, and all i know about it is its 280W into 4Ohms, has a valve pre-amp and some switches and a pull Mid knob... so not alot!

So any info or help would be much appreciated :)

Steve

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='181012' date='Apr 20 2008, 01:50 PM']is it one of them green carpeted ones?

got any pics? :)[/quote]
it is yeah, i only have a live pic... pretty bad one at that...
[attachment=7946:Tace_V_Type.JPG]

[quote name='Golder7' post='181032' date='Apr 20 2008, 02:20 PM']unfortunately i dont have it. im getting it off a friend in a week or two, was really just wondering if it was any good and worth £100?[/quote]

look at the reviews of the preamp

[url="http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=114&type=preamp"]http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=114&type=preamp[/url]

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='ahpook' post='181033' date='Apr 20 2008, 02:24 PM']look at the reviews of the preamp

[url="http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=114&type=preamp"]http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=114&type=preamp[/url][/quote]
Wow ok, sounds very good!Do you happen to know of what kind of budget cabs to go for? £400 max

[quote name='Golder7' post='181597' date='Apr 21 2008, 10:19 AM']wow this is all good news to me :) does anyone happen to know what cabs would sound best with it?[/quote]

The 1999/2000 brochure shows it with matching 1248H 4x12-inch and a 1528 2x15-inch, both in matching green carpet. There was also a matching 1084, 8x10-inch.

Personally I think it would be great with a BFC. :huh:

I used an Ashdown MAG410T with mine or a TE 1153. Personally I didn't like the Ashdown with it but the 1x15 was nice. My current rig is any combination of 1x15, 2x15, 4x8, 8x8, 4x8 and 1x15...

But any speakers will be OK, just make sure they make the sound you want!

hmm i like the sound of the 4x12 or even the 2x15! sounds fun! so next question, anyone any idea where i might find such a beast? and if i found one a reasonable/expected price of one? p.s. really thankful for the info guys!

Hi Golder,

I have never played one of the hybrid V-types but I have an all valve V type which I think has the same pre-amp? If it has 7 valves in it then it is the same anyway...

Mine is called the V4 because it has the V pre and 4 power valves. Kiwi has a V8, with 8 power valves. Always wants more, that boy. I have never heard a sweeter sounding amplifier in all my dayz.

Regarding cabinets, they come up every now and then on eBay to match this head. I am always looking for a cloth grilled and vinyl sided cab to match my V type so I will keep an eye out for your perfect cab too.

[quote name='ped' post='183014' date='Apr 22 2008, 06:10 PM']Hi Golder,

I have never played one of the hybrid V-types but I have an all valve V type which I think has the same pre-amp? If it has 7 valves in it then it is the same anyway...

Mine is called the V4 because it has the V pre and 4 power valves. Kiwi has a V8, with 8 power valves. Always wants more, that boy. I have never heard a sweeter sounding amplifier in all my dayz.

Regarding cabinets, they come up every now and then on eBay to match this head. I am always looking for a cloth grilled and vinyl sided cab to match my V type so I will keep an eye out for your perfect cab too.[/quote]
The V4 / V8 preamp is a different beasty altogether, redesigned for that series. The V-Type series is a dual 12AX7 preamp.

yeah i believe this beast to be the v-type 300H. As i was saying previously i havent yet got it. I know my friend has had it for about 4 years now, and hasn`t replaced the valves. if i where to do so does anyone know a good place to get them (internet) and it takes x2 12AX7`s?

If it's been looked after the valves will probably be fine. Preamp valves tend to have a longer life than power amp valves. If not, not sure the best place to go coz I got all mine in trades on here! Watford Valves have a good reputation tho...

I'll reiterate, £100 for this is a fookin steal, do make sure you get it coz you won't regret it!

shamfull sell about to occur...

my v4 beastie works exceptionally well with my ashdown mag810, of whcih, I am selling for £200 I bought it in January ans is still under guarantee..

hey ped! bet you were timing me?? lol :)

andy