Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot V-Type Bass Head?

Golder7

[quote name='ped' post='183137' date='Apr 22 2008, 08:01 PM']Aha thanks Merton. Interesting. I was about to upload the schematics and manuals for my pre-amp too.

Does this head have the single gain stage?[/quote]
Yep, single gain stage on the V-Type stuff, none of your fancy overdrive channels, we just have to turn up the gain :)

May be selling the carpeted 4x12. Depends on what a couple of local guys are up to with my V6 and 2x15 cab.
The 4x12 is rated at 800w, has a horn and a high frequency dial. There is a metal grill under the front grill cloth.
It is superclean and flightcased, so I would expect to get £550 inc delivery.
doesn't hurt so much if you factor in the "cheap as free" deal you got on the head....

But if you want a great cab just to get on with, Andy67 is offing his Ashdown 8x10 - and your amp will make that puppy sing!

[quote name='Thornybank' post='183598' date='Apr 23 2008, 10:53 AM']May be selling the carpeted 4x12. Depends on what a couple of local guys are up to with my V6 and 2x15 cab.
The 4x12 is rated at 800w, has a horn and a high frequency dial. There is a metal grill under the front grill cloth.
It is superclean and flightcased, so I would expect to get £550 inc delivery.
doesn't hurt so much if you factor in the "cheap as free" deal you got on the head....

But if you want a great cab just to get on with, Andy67 is offing his Ashdown 8x10 - and your amp will make that puppy sing![/quote]
decissions decissions lol! i was looking for something a little cheaper than that unfortunately, which saddens me lots! as for the 8x10 that would be a bit too big and heavy for me... im starting to sound rather picky arent i? lol oops

I am not a big fan of compact boxes....
...but Rumour6 has a 2x12 EBS neo thingie that is great!, so waht do I know?!?!

The weeAShdown boxes don't have the space fill authority I prefer.

The orig Ashdown ABM 500 cab (300w qxq5) was fantastic with the V8 and the V6.
Best 1x15 since the big Trace boxes.

From my stable, the Trace 1510 (1x15 + 1x10) is no bigger than a 4x10 and might do it for you as a one-box solution.
That's only £300.... Or a Trace 4x10 + horn.... £275.

Or if you want the end-all, how about a Trace 15+18 full flight box (face off, wheels and handles)?
OMIGOD!!! Plenti-full-y ranged and snippish at £250.

Lotsa thots.

[quote name='Thornybank' post='183976' date='Apr 23 2008, 05:48 PM']I am not a big fan of compact boxes....
...but Rumour6 has a 2x12 EBS neo thingie that is great!, so waht do I know?!?!

The weeAShdown boxes don't have the space fill authority I prefer.

The orig Ashdown ABM 500 cab (300w qxq5) was fantastic with the V8 and the V6.
Best 1x15 since the big Trace boxes.

From my stable, the Trace 1510 (1x15 + 1x10) is no bigger than a 4x10 and might do it for you as a one-box solution.
That's only £300.... Or a Trace 4x10 + horn.... £275.

Or if you want the end-all, how about a Trace 15+18 full flight box (face off, wheels and handles)?
OMIGOD!!! Plenti-full-y ranged and snippish at £250.

Lotsa thots.[/quote]hmm i think i would be more partial to a trace cab... is the 1510 just got x1 10" speaker, unusual! and is it 4ohm? if so it sounds rather good to me. though i cant find any info/pics of it anywhere. i would like the 4x10 but as they`re 8Ohm i know id end up buying a 15" to go under... and i really shouldnt! lol any chance i could get some pics?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so i have the amp head now and i can tell you on the back it says... MODEL No. - 5001 and SERIAL No. - T0130.00399 . They look like 9s but i suppose could be 4s. I will be able to post pictures in a couple of days. Does anyone know if there is any site which tells you about the serial / model numbers to give me a bit more information? It also says on one of the boards inside the build date was 17.03.97

So yeah any info will again be greatly receivde! :)

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

hello everyone, its been a while since i last posted, been a bit busy! however, i now have pictures of the amp, including a few of inside. so once more if there is any info on it i shall be very grateful. also i maybe selling this very soon so any figure would also be helpful. thankyou!

Steve
[attachment=8951:DSC00109__Large_.JPG]
[attachment=8952:DSC00110__Large_.JPG]
[attachment=8953:DSC00111__Large_.JPG]
[attachment=8954:DSC00112__Large_.JPG]
[attachment=8955:DSC00117__Large_.JPG]
[attachment=8956:P5050002__Large_.JPG]
[attachment=8957:P5050003__Large_.JPG]
[attachment=8958:P5050004__Large_.JPG]

I'm not sure how much more information is about really. The manual for the preamp is available [url="http://www.britishaudioservice.com/trace_operateinstru.shtml"]here.[/url] As for the date it was produced, the serial indicates March '99. The dates on the circuit board appear to be on the power amp section - I can only assume that Trace used the power section of an already existing amp, as the v types weren't announced until Jan '98.

Value is probably in the region of £350, give or take a bit.

[quote name='Musky' post='205893' date='May 25 2008, 11:37 AM']I'm not sure how much more information is about really. The manual for the preamp is available [url="http://www.britishaudioservice.com/trace_operateinstru.shtml"]here.[/url] As for the date it was produced, the serial indicates March '99. The dates on the circuit board appear to be on the power amp section - I can only assume that Trace used the power section of an already existing amp, as the v types weren't announced until Jan '98.

Value is probably in the region of £350, give or take a bit.[/quote]
This V-Type was around 1994-1998 actually, it's the precursor to the V4/V8 and I remember seeing literature about them when buying my first real bass amp c.1995 :)

I sold one of these for £370 about 2 years ago which was about £100 more than I was expecting.

[quote name='Merton' post='206811' date='May 26 2008, 08:41 PM']This V-Type was around 1994-1998 actually, it's the precursor to the V4/V8 and I remember seeing literature about them when buying my first real bass amp c.1995 :)

I sold one of these for £370 about 2 years ago which was about £100 more than I was expecting.[/quote]

Ahh... mystery solved then.

They must've been introduced in the US later then - I was going by a press release on harmony central. :huh:

[quote name='nick' post='209238' date='May 29 2008, 11:01 PM']Just bought green carpet one myself, with the 1248 (4 x 12) cab.

Looking forward to giving it a blast at next rehearsal. :huh:[/quote]
Oooh, you got the one on ebay? Good work! That will sound MONSTER, the 4x12 cab is a heavy bugger but sounds feckin great :)

[quote name='Merton' post='209724' date='May 30 2008, 04:22 PM']Oooh, you got the one on ebay? Good work! That will sound MONSTER, the 4x12 cab is a heavy bugger but sounds feckin great :huh:[/quote]

Yeah, I got that one. £450 for the amp & the 4 x 12 cab didn't seem too bad a price + it's local to me. :huh:

Been after a valve or similar amp with a bit of welly for a while.
Band is getting louder & though I love the tone, I don't want to thrash my lovely old 17 watt(!) WEM head - need a bit of headroom. Originally had my sights set on a Bassman, but at the moment they're unfortunately outside my budget, with addition of a decent cab.

Never tried a 4 x 12 cab, so not sure what to expect - always used 1x15's before. Picking it up tomorrow, & will give it a road-test prior to next rehearsal.
Guess if amp/cab or both are not my cup of tea, I should be able to recoup cost if I sell it on. Hopefully, I will like it....

Can imagine it being a heavy buggar. One thing I may have to consider purchasing next, is a pair of these. Would be nice to find some in dark green to match! :)
[attachment=9214:hernia_trunks.jpg]

Edited by nick

[quote name='Merton' post='209724' date='May 30 2008, 04:22 PM']That will sound MONSTER, the 4x12 cab is a heavy bugger but sounds feckin great :huh:[/quote]

It does & it is! :)

Love the 4x12 - certainly chucks the sound out. More growl than 15's I'm used to, but still solid in the low end. Amp is cracking too.
Well pleased :huh: