Why become a member? ×

Is this a good deal?

alstocko

I currently own a Marcus Miller Fender Jazz (white) and have been talking about trading my bass for a lakland skyline JO 5.
I have been looking to move to 5 string for a while, but after doing some research, these basses seem cheaper than mine... (so cash would be involved in the trade)
I have been hoping to progress in quality of bass every time I get a new one (I'm a music student) but is this a step backwards/sidewards?
Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Alec

Thanks for the reply,
Unfortunately I haven't and as it's in Somerset and I'm in Hull it doesn't look likely...
I've listened to tonnes of laklands sound clips on their website, and it sounds brilliant. With the extra money I could afford to but a decent active preamp in it (if I want to) or some other pickups (again if I want to).
Thanks

isn't there a music store nearby that stores stocks laklands? although it's not the very same instrument as the one you consider buying, trying one should give you a better idea of whether you'd like it better than your MM than would listening to online soundclips, i suppose?

Edited by pumkinkin

Sorry, I should have been clearer :-) what would be a great preamp for you? and what pickups would be to your taste? Plus are you sure your MM is worth more? There is a MM on here for £650 including hard case, and a JO for the same money....

Edited by markstuk

Ahh ok, that's one sweet deal for that bass!
I've seen them on here for 750 for the last 6 months so just assumed that it was.
I've always like bartolonis but the covers don't really work on the standard jazzes for me. John east makes some sweet preamps.
I would just buy one of those for my MM, but I've been meaning to move to 5 strings for a while...

Loving the intense debate while I was at rehearsals ;)
Firstly, I bought the MM because I played one in NYC and loved the neck, I was lucky in the fact that the one I ordered had a similar neck. This may be blasphemy, but I'm not a fan of the bridge pickup placement or the pickup itself. The whole thing is way too bright for me. I was young naive, and had some money to buy a bass with.
I want a five string because I play a tonne of session stuff that needs that low end, and I see this bass as a good option as I'm working towards being a session player, playing groove based jazz funk and gospel, not a virtuoso.
Any more thoughts?

Edited by alstocko

The JO is a fine bass. American Laklands are better than the Asian ones, IMHO, but this doesn't mean they aren't really well put together.

I wouldn't have thought there's any difference in value. If anything I'd think the JO was potentially worth more (unless the MM has been modded with something like a John East pre-amp - these are seriously good by the way).

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1338066329' post='1669305']
The JO is a fine bass. American Laklands are better than the Asian ones, IMHO, but this doesn't mean they aren't really well put together.

I wouldn't have thought there's any difference in value. If anything I'd think the JO was potentially worth more (unless the MM has been modded with something like a John East pre-amp - these are seriously good by the way).
[/quote]

I think the US and Skylines can vary majorly - i personally prefer my skyline to the US one. Still feels better than most of the fenders i've tried :) imo of course!
If you're not happy with the MM i would trade. Laklands have brilliant necks - not sure on the width of the JO5, but my DJ4 has a lovely thin one.
Trade, then if you find its not for you - trade it again. :)

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1338067079' post='1669323']
I think the US and Skylines can vary majorly - i personally prefer my skyline to the US one. Still feels better than most of the fenders i've tried :) imo of course!
If you're not happy with the MM i would trade. Laklands have brilliant necks - not sure on the width of the JO5, but my DJ4 has a lovely thin one.
Trade, then if you find its not for you - trade it again. :)
[/quote]

It's definitely a personal choice on US vs Korean/Indonesian Laklands. Personally I think the US ones blow the Asian ones away, way nicer to play & much better fit & finish than any of the far eastern ones I've owned.

I don't think they are worth twice the price but you pays your money & makes your choice :)

Nut width on the DJ & JO 5 should be the same. I must admit that, having owned both in 4 string format, I would have said the DJ has a slinkier feel to it than the JO. Could be neck profile or that dinky little body that just makes the whole bass feel smaller :)

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1338053088' post='1669084']
Not a fan of the Marcus tone, the preamp isn't great, and the pickups are a bit out of my taste.
On the plus side the neck is a beaut...
[/quote]

I'd go further and say the preamp is junk, to my ears the bass sounds much better with the preamp bypassed and run passive. I run mine passive through an outboard Sadowsky preamp (and also my other Fenders), it really adds warmth and fatness without losing clarity.

I'm sitting on the fence whether to say your bass is worth more or not. because the Marcus Miller bass has only recently gone up to the £1000 mark, where as the lakland JO 5 started at this price a few years back. . . .

If your the picky type and compare where they are made, hmmmm bit of a difference but I'd still choose lakland over any standard MIM or MIA Fender but your bass is great and it seems the ball is in your court so fire away :)

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1338550801' post='1676150']
To all those interested, I went through with the trade and I've ended up wih a beautiful bass which I prefer to my Marcus Miller already, so a big win!
[/quote]

Congrats!

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1338856919' post='1680225']
Aha! Abit late posting but really glad you ended up with a bass you seem to love and cherish more than your Fender :)
[/quote]

I was a bit naive thinking that mine was worth more. I've found a bass that I could've easily paid several thousand for with a tone to die for. This is how a jazz should sound like!

I hardly notice the scale length as I only play this at the moment. It had its first big tonight with the Jazz-drum and bass trio (tracks will be up here after we go to the studios)

Thanks to all for the help. I can see myself sticking with this bass for life!