Why become a member? ×

MXR M80 Distortion Question

TomWIC

Hi all,

I currently use a Boss ODB-3 for distortion but never have really managed to find the high-gain grunch I want for solo parts (think Jeordie White/Twiggy when he played with Nine Inch Nails a few years ago).

I was thinking of getting the MXR M80 but as I use a SansAmp BDDI already, I'd only be using it for the distortion. So, would this be a complete waste of money as I wouldn't be utilising half of the pedal?

And while I'm at it, if anyone can recommend an alternative, please do so :)

Yeah, I did read that a while back, annoyingly that was his sound in his first run with Marilyn Manson - when he used Thunderbirds and an Ampeg rig. Unfortunately, I have no idea what he used with Nine Inch Nails.

In my opinion the M80's distortion sounds good at settings of less than 50% wet and gain, just to add a little grit and boost to your clean tone, I see that as its real purpose and use. I wouldn't use it as a proper high gain distortion, tried many times as it would be great to save space on my board but always went back to something else.

Edited by 1976fenderhead

Try RAT or You Dirty Rat, with no modifications they are quite brutal. I do have M80, but I think the distortion is not that good, more likely one sound wonder and I don't like it. Same and better can be done with RAT. I do use M80, but it only sends the clean sound to mixing console.

I'd also add that the Sansamp and M80 are two completely different beasts with their own characters. They actually sound really great if you run them in parallel, not series :) you'd need a way of mixing the two outputs though, such as a passive mixer / mixer pedal.

I used to run mine like this:

GTR > sansamp in - sansamp out > mixer in A>
Sansamp Parallel out > M80 in - M80 out > mixer in B >

Output of mixer to amp etc.

This is cool as it does allow you to eq your clean sound via the sansamp. Then add more 'wet' on the M80 balance control and use it's 3 band eq to shape only the distortion part of the signal.

Then when you're bored of all the faffing, acquire an Ampeg BSP :)

[quote name='1976fenderhead' timestamp='1337941581' post='1667647']
In my opinion the M80's distortion sounds good at settings of less than 50% wet and gain, just to add a little grit and boost to your clean tone, I see that as its real purpose and use.
[/quote]

Big +1. I personally don't like its sound on its own, but put it in a band mix and it sounds brilliant. I chose the M-80 over the Sansamp because I wanted a mid control, great piece of kit.

[quote name='pahaeno' timestamp='1337941768' post='1667651']
Try RAT or You Dirty Rat, with no modifications they are quite brutal. I do have M80, but I think the distortion is not that good, more likely one sound wonder and I don't like it. Same and better can be done with RAT. I do use M80, but it only sends the clean sound to mixing console.
[/quote]

Just looked up the Turbo RAT on YouTube and it sounds great, thanks :)

I use an M-80 for distortion in front of my GK 700RB, it sounds great but I'm a bit fed up of having too many knobs to twiddle - between the Active EQ on the bass, 3-band EQ on the pedal and 4-band EQ on my amp, I never know what to adjust first!

Trying to get hold of something simple and gritty like an EBS Metaldrive or EHx Bass Blogger to keep things more straightforward...

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1338133554' post='1669945']
personally, i got rid of the m-80 as i didn't like that 'bees-in-a tin' quality. been looking for the perfect one for a while, and thinking of getting a rat-tail.

but, having seen the demo of the FEA dual-band-distortion (currently out of stock), i'm holding out for that.
[/quote]

Thanks for selling me your M80! :yarr: I personally use it to add a bit of grit to my main tone (gain minimum, blend at 11 o' clock). I wouldn't really use it as a distortion, but it might just work.

[quote name='Pollinator95' timestamp='1338135361' post='1669960']
Thanks for selling me your M80! :yarr: I personally use it to add a bit of grit to my main tone (gain minimum, blend at 11 o' clock). I wouldn't really use it as a distortion, but it might just work.
[/quote]
ha ! i'm not dissing the pedal itself, as it is definitely up there with the sans-amp. but neither provided my distortion to a satisfactory level. ( i have a very clean amp )

for the DI capability it's great. nice to hear you're getting better use than i did. :)

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1338133554' post='1669945']
personally, i got rid of the m-80 as i didn't like that 'bees-in-a tin' quality. been looking for the perfect one for a while, and thinking of getting a rat-tail.

but, having seen the demo of the FEA dual-band-distortion (currently out of stock), i'm holding out for that.
[/quote]

+1 on the FEA Dual Band Distortion... It takes some time to get the hang of how all the features work but once you understand it, you can achieve some really nice tone shaping for overdrive/distortion.

[quote name='mistermark' timestamp='1338560450' post='1676389']
+1 on the FEA Dual Band Distortion... It takes some time to get the hang of how all the features work but once you understand it, you can achieve some really nice tone shaping for overdrive/distortion.
[/quote]
i have one of the new builds winging it's way over right now !!!! :) :) :)

can't wait (although i'll be clobbered by hmrc, no doubt).

i'll report on it when it arrives.

[quote name='HotelEcho' timestamp='1338648630' post='1677650']
Does anyone know if it's possible to modify the M-80 so the DI out is before the effect, rather than after? So it could be used for a clean DI and a distortion in front of an amp at the same time?
[/quote]
i thught it had a parralel out ? but it's a long time since i had one.. a sound engineer should have a di with jack input for that.

[quote name='TomWIC' timestamp='1337939873' post='1667615']
Hi all,

I currently use a Boss ODB-3 for distortion but never have really managed to find the high-gain grunch I want for solo parts (think Jeordie White/Twiggy when he played with Nine Inch Nails a few years ago).

I was thinking of getting the MXR M80 but as I use a SansAmp BDDI already, I'd only be using it for the distortion. So, would this be a complete waste of money as I wouldn't be utilising half of the pedal?

And while I'm at it, if anyone can recommend an alternative, please do so :)
[/quote]

The distortion on the M80 is thicker than an OBD-3, but I don't think it offers much of a tonal difference to make it worthwhile if you're not interested in the DI/preamp side of it.

I recently got an OKKO Basstard and if thick fat distortion is your thing, this one can do it (with the aded bonus that very low gain is great too). It also has two switches, one for an extra "oomph" (the gain of this extra "channel" is adjusted separately), which I find pretty cool.

[quote name='TomWIC' timestamp='1337941355' post='1667644']
Yeah, I did read that a while back, annoyingly that was his sound in his first run with Marilyn Manson - when he used Thunderbirds and an Ampeg rig. Unfortunately, I have no idea what he used with Nine Inch Nails.
[/quote]

Fender Precision Deluxe (with the P pickup and an MM style at the neck) and occasionally a Stingray too. Not sure on backline used live off the top of my head. The studio recordings are generally Trent Reznor playing the P Special or Ray recorded direct with whatever processing generally done with plugins, I think, although some of the tones are very 'driven SVT' to my ears.

A quick Google will probably help you - there's a lot of very geeky NIN fans out there, bound to be some good info on what was used live if his live tone is what you want to replicate.

Edit: a cursory Google tells me SansAmp PSA pre amp with NIN, Mesa 400+ with A Perfect Circle, and always Ampeg SVT810 cabs.

Edited by mike257