Why become a member? ×

would anyone buy home built effects? (pictures added!)

LukeFRC

So I went and splashed all my bass fund on a ring for the young lady (she said yes, yay!) and just wondering how I can start saving up for both a wedding and the preamp for my wick I want to get.
Well someone had a wanted ad looking for a delay pedal, which reminded me I have one somewhere that I can sell, and then thought I stuck home built clones of a Sovtek Green Big muff, a EH Small clone and a Caitlinbread SFT in the same enclosure.

All home built, two on vero board, the small clone on printed board (with bigger input and output caps) any way, it works but is home made.
was just thinking and I hardly use the thing, well the SFT is great but rarely use it (laziness really)
Is that something someones ever going to want to buy? either the whole thing or the boards and pots and switches ready to go in their own enclosures? Or just home built randomness that no one will want?

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1337621149' post='1662960']
How much for the sft?
[/quote]
[quote name='dood' timestamp='1337621419' post='1662967']
^^^^ there's your answer! :)
[/quote]

ahh... and the problem is... (and why this isn't in the sale section) how much is this stuff worth? All 3 are in one enclosure and I'm guessing folk will will want the circuit on it's own (with pots, knobs and a SDPT or whatever it's called switch) will need enclosure and jacks and LED

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1337622159' post='1662979']
Ahhh! I see! - Hmm! I've no idea!
[/quote]
yeah, would be way easier if they were all in own boxes. As it is they are a little bit of a project. I suppose I could offer to get enclosures and the parts for them but then wouldn't be able to let them go as cheaply... [quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1337621945' post='1662976']
Yup, I'd be tempted by the muff for the right price, drop me A PM. As long as they work people will buy them.
[/quote] the muff as a circuit and bits, it works but wouldn't be in a box so would need an enclosure and a few parts to finish the true bypass circuit....

BTW I'm not PMing anyone back yet but making a mental note of who got there first in terms of dibs.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1337622608' post='1662989']
yeah, would be way easier if they were all in own boxes. As it is they are a little bit of a project. I suppose I could offer to get enclosures and the parts for them but then wouldn't be able to let them go as cheaply... the muff as a circuit and bits, it works but wouldn't be in a box so would need an enclosure and a few parts to finish the true bypass circuit....

BTW I'm not PMing anyone back yet but making a mental note of who got there first in terms of dibs.
[/quote]

Not wanting to turn this into a sale thread but that's no problem for me, got a drilled and enclosure and loads of jacks lying around.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1337625957' post='1663078']
I'd happily buy home made fx from a BCer if I had the funds. I'm also getting wed, in July.
[/quote]

but how much funds do you think you might need? Off the top of my head i pull the figure of say 35 posted.... too much, too little?

I'd work out how much the parts cost & then add on how long it took you to make. It cost me about £15 for parts (maybe more) to make my looper/mixer pedal. So if I made one for someone, I'd probably sell it for £30-40 depending on what case I used.

I want to make a gated fuzz (was thinking about modding the cheapo distortion I have), but I need to actually learn how to read a schematic first.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1337630877' post='1663241']
I'd work out how much the parts cost & then add on how long it took you to make. It cost me about £15 for parts (maybe more) to make my looper/mixer pedal. So if I made one for someone, I'd probably sell it for £30-40 depending on what case I used.

I want to make a gated fuzz (was thinking about modding the cheapo distortion I have), but I need to actually learn how to read a schematic first.
[/quote]

okay, that sounds like a plan.
To be honest if I get back the parts cost I'll be happy. I think the chorus is pretty sweet small clone but tweaked for bass.
The Pi will obviously be the cheapest but sounds pretty good. I need to turn rewire a pot as it is backwards at the mo.
The SFT clone is an awesome bit of kit.... I'll work it all out this week,
first dibs SFT for Ant and for muff for bobbass4k

Good evening, Luke, and congratulations...

I don't know if this will help, but I had to replace the pre-amp in an active bass recently, and bought this...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110848701884&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_4247wt_694"]http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110848701884&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_4247wt_694[/url]

...all pre-cabled with pots, just drop in and connect battery and jack. Works a treat. It is probably ([i]ha ha[/i]...) not as top-notch as the 'boutique' pre-amps, but cost little, and sounds fine to me. Other configurations are available, I think, such as 3-band.
Just a thought; could tide you over until the finances improve somewhat..? I certainly have no regrets.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1337638747' post='1663445']
My advice. Just live together! :)
[/quote] ah, but we are both people who love Jesus so thats not really our culture!
[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1337638110' post='1663438']
Good evening, Luke, and congratulations...

I don't know if this will help, but I had to replace the pre-amp in an active bass recently, and bought this...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110848701884&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_4247wt_694"]http://cgi.ebay.fr/w...9#ht_4247wt_694[/url]

...all pre-cabled with pots, just drop in and connect battery and jack. Works a treat. It is probably ([i]ha ha[/i]...) not as top-notch as the 'boutique' pre-amps, but cost little, and sounds fine to me. Other configurations are available, I think, such as 3-band.
Just a thought; could tide you over until the finances improve somewhat..? I certainly have no regrets.
[/quote] thanks. Interestingly that uses the same bass Eq point as the warwick 2 band. How do you find it? it's got a fair bit of low mids in there I'm guessing.
I've actually got the original warwick 2 band which is fine and I guess 'boutique' in terms of quality. I'm playing with the idea of 'upgrading' to something with slightly different EQ points and a bit more flexibility- I'm thinking of sticking an ACG in there- which would be very different. I think if I went with something more traditional I would either stick with the one I have, or try the U retro. I have the luxury of having an amp with the best EQ selection I have used at very useful frequencies and then to use this... which errs me towards trying the ACG.
[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1337632344' post='1663285']
Hey, I'll buy the small clone off you once I get some money, I need that Kurt Cobain sound for the 'ol 6-string.. :D
[/quote] first dibs for you then. It's got a much bigger cap on the input and I think slightly bigger on the output so it lets through a bit more bass than normal, also got speed and depth knobs and you can push it to do lots of odd phasing stuff at the extreme depth settings. Pretty cool :) Are you really in the US though?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1337639791' post='1663460']...How do you find it?...
[/quote]
Luke...

I can't really answer that, simple though your question is, as...
1 - I'm old, which means my 'absolute' hearing is not as fresh as 40-odd years ago.
2 - It went into a Douglas 6-string fretless; not exactly 'boutique' in the first place, and not to be compared to a Sadowsky or MM.
3 - We play covers; our youngest plays it and uses extremely 'ordinary' solid bass tone, simply 'classic', which fits perfectly with our set.
4 - Amp..? Hiwatt DR203, 200w 4 x KT88, into a 4 x 10 Ampeg, or 2 x 15 Fender Bassman, or both. With that, any half-decent bass sounds good. Decent basses sound excellent, and ours are decent. Low mids..? In spades, but all the rest too...
5 - I'm a drummer. What would I know about basses..?
No, I'm not being completely flippant here, it sounds as if you've got a much clearer idea of the sounds you are wanting than we have. It was just a thought, but if you can use the original pre-amp still, there's no need.
Never mind; stand easy, as you were... :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1337640643' post='1663476']
Luke...

I can't really answer that, simple though your question is, as...
1 - I'm old, which means my 'absolute' hearing is not as fresh as 40-odd years ago.
2 - It went into a Douglas 6-string fretless; not exactly 'boutique' in the first place, and not to be compared to a Sadowsky or MM.
3 - We play covers; our youngest plays it and uses extremely 'ordinary' solid bass tone, simply 'classic', which fits perfectly with our set.
4 - Amp..? Hiwatt DR203, 200w 4 x KT88, into a 4 x 10 Ampeg, or 2 x 15 Fender Bassman, or both. With that, any half-decent bass sounds good. Decent basses sound excellent, and ours are decent. Low mids..? In spades, but all the rest too...
5 - I'm a drummer. What would I know about basses..?
No, I'm not being completely flippant here, it sounds as if you've got a much clearer idea of the sounds you are wanting than we have. It was just a thought, but if you can use the original pre-amp still, there's no need.
Never mind; stand easy, as you were... :)
[/quote]
It looks like a decent bit of kit, and I think looks like the Eq points are similar to the warwick. And I imagine works a treat with what it's in, and what's it plugged into. If anything I imagine that having the bass point there would sound good through that amp/cab set up :)
BTW most of this x is better than x stuff is rubbish. If it works it works no mater what it says on it. If was as clever as John East and could design my own filter based preamp to run off 9v I would build my own. I can't and don't mind giving ACG my money. but clones like my ones here are, well they're not bad.
Case in point- the z.vex woolly mammoth- rep £375 all hand painted case and that.... the circuit has about 7 components on it and would take about £1 to make on vero (the box/pots and switches a bit more) it was when I saw that I decided to sell the Line 6 pedal board I had at the time and make the three effects I am talking about in the thread.
They sound a damn sight better than the bass pod, thats for sure! :)

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1337640447' post='1663471']
I'm sure he wouldn't mind . He's a decent enough bloke. I don't recall him ever telling folk to waste guitar money on buying shiny things for each other. ;)
[/quote]
I wish. She got a shiny thing.

I didn't. should I feel disappointed about that?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1337639791' post='1663460']
first dibs for you then. It's got a much bigger cap on the input and I think slightly bigger on the output so it lets through a bit more bass than normal, also got speed and depth knobs and you can push it to do lots of odd phasing stuff at the extreme depth settings. Pretty cool :) Are you really in the US though?
[/quote]
I'll pay shipping if you put a listing up on ebay when I'm ready! :) (in other words, when I'm not broke)

Edited by lxxwj

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1337644100' post='1663502']
I'll pay shipping if you put a listing up on ebay when I'm ready! :) (in other words, when I'm not broke)
[/quote]
nah ill sell it via basschat.
Isn't everything cheap in the USA anyway?