Why become a member? ×

TINITUS

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1352981278' post='1870025']
oh damn, really? i was always told i needed my ears syringed to improve my hearing.....
[/quote]

Can't comment on that, but I had my ears syringed to remove a build up of wax, by the way, your ears need wax to stop infections etc,
and the 'trauma' of having water forced into my ears, set the 'tinitus' off!

I don't suffer from tinnitus myself but have known many who do. A trick I learned from a journalist, who traveled a lot and rarely got a good nights sleep, due to having to sleep in noisy city centre hotels a lot, may help. He used to set his travel radio to play the white noise between channels which blocked out all other noise and allowed him to sleep in the noisiest of hotel rooms. I've tried it myself, from time to time, and it does the trick and is non obtrusive (it just sounds like sitting on a beach near the sea).
It should also mask the irritating tinnitus frequencies which prevent you from sleeping and you don't need it on loud to do the trick.

[quote name='bode' timestamp='1353025638' post='1870820']
Every time they mention tinnitus on TV, they talk about a loud whooshing noise, not a whining noise. I'm listening to my WHEEEEE noise right now, I've got two notes, one of them too high to guess the note. I also heard that these whining noises are your body's natural sound...think of all those moving parts in your body, they can't be silent can they?
[/quote]
[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1353033252' post='1870850']
One of the things about those anechoic chambers is apparently being able to hear the blood swooshing about in your brain, and the pulse of it all changing as you think about different stuff.
[/quote]

These could both apply to me! I had Tinnitus before I started playing, only mild. I didn't start out in really loud bands, we had 100watt amps back then lol. My real problems came after doing the big gigs with massive backlines. No one thought about ear protection then! I've had a burst eardrum and am now partly deaf. I do have special ear protection now.
I guess I've had it so long now I just ignore it most of the time. :gas: :rolleyes:

I've got it in my left ear, brought on by standin next to my Trace rig back in the '80s. I can hear it right now, a very high-pitched hiss, not too loud at the moment though it can be annoyingly loud. I don't gig any more but it worsens after I've had a session on my telecaster in front of the Fender Bassman. Also, I need to watch the music volume in the car, as well. I'd hate it to be worse than it is but I think you learn to zone it out if it's not too severe.

£150 to much? man that is a shed load of money and you can deffo protect for cheaper, I guess its down to what you want to hear and how well you hear it, and i'm NO expert on that for sure but i'll can tell you one thing, £20 or £150 I wish i'd bloody done it years ago because I suffer from tinitus and its not nice to live with, you deal with it because you really don't have a choice, but man theres sometimes I really wish I didn't have to! protect, protect, protect, lol :happy:

[quote name='Roger Evans' timestamp='1353268591' post='1873108']
Got it meself in both ears. Some days worse than others but I've learned to live with it. If I'd known better when I was younger I'd have been more careful. Same goes for a lot of things!
[/quote]

I've had it from birth. gotten worse the last few years. I really wish i didn't have it, and was able to hear like everyone else. but then, bad hearing runs in my family.

Been using the Alphin Musician Pro Ear Plugs for about 4 years now.

On my second set as I kept losing the different filters and the ear pieces themselves stretch and eventually dont fit in your ears anymore.

So glad I started wearing them. The key chain they give has especially been a blessing if I ever go to a last minute gig or club, they are always on hand.

The only trouble I now have is I am starting to sing in a few bands, so wearing ears plugs is extremely difficult when trying to do a harmony.

No major problems (yet!) few short bursts of a high frequency then disappears after 10-15 seconds.

Edited by pendingrequests

Been in a lot of "loud" bands and listen to some really "loud" music but my ears are still fine. Usually have an earphone in one ear at work playing for about 6 hours a day at least each day I work, but only softly.
I wear earplugs when I'm rehearsing and at gigs, so that maybe explains it.
You dudes do realise it's not just "ear bleeding" bands that cause damage, right? As I'm seeing a pattern.
Could be something as simple as a balloon bursting near your ear, or an Ambulances siren. The trauma doesn't have to be prolonged to get it, although it doesn't help either. :-P

Don't think the big difference is paying out £150 against £20 for earplugs, it's how soon you start using them, lets be honest the vast majority of people start using them when the damage is already done , I know I did, I now use Alpine safe pro and find them excellent, certainly got no intention of shelling out hundreds of pounds.

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1353284784' post='1873335']

Could be something as simple as a balloon bursting near your ear, or an Ambulances siren. The trauma doesn't have to be prolonged to get it, although it doesn't help either. :-P
[/quote]
I'm no expert but as I understand it it's prolonged exposure to loud sounds that messes your hearing up not short sharp lound bangs.
I've also heard of people getting tinitus from bangs on the head

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1353319211' post='1873473']
I'm no expert but as I understand it it's prolonged exposure to loud sounds that messes your hearing up not short sharp lound bangs.
[/quote]

As I said in an earlier post, I've always been careful and looked after my hearing, until that fateful day I had my ears syringed!
Any type of 'trauma' can cause Tinitus!

[quote name='Gordon Thudmaster May' timestamp='1337158257' post='1656238']
[b]Do you suffer from Tinitus?[/b]
[b]If so does this affect your playing?[/b]
[b]Are there any ways of easing the problem?[/b]
[b]The 'Whistling' in my ears is driving me potty![/b]
[/quote]
yup. Had it nearly 30 years.

It's not an exact science, but my advise would be the opposite of some previous posts - don't ignore it.

If you listen to it your brain may be able to tune it out, eventually. It will take time, and you won't always be in a situation where you can just stop everything to listen to it.

Also you may be able to tune it. I tried tuning mine to A, but I've ended up with a D several octaves above treble clef. It's sometimes useful to have a sense of relative pitch.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1353319211' post='1873473']
[/quote]

Any form of trauma can cause it. My friend got it real bad because he stood near a cymbal when a very loud drummer hit it. He used earplugs all the time until that one smack. Put him out for a couple of days with hearing like he was under water and after it cleared he's suffered from a loud "wheeeeeee" noise ever since.
Get's louder the louder the noises in the vicinity.
Another has never been exposed to loud volumes in their life but pissed around with a balloon. Popped in their ear, complained about a loud "wheeee" noise ever since. Keeps em awake some nights.
Doesn't need to be over time, any form of trauma can cause it. It's about the amount of damage done, not how long it has been exposed.

Years ago in music college we got several drummers to whack their snare drum and got a very high-end sound pressure monitor to gauge the level from 6ft in front, and to each side. We didn't ask them to hit it as loud as possible, just at normal gig volume. The quietest came in at just over 130dB, the loudest 152dB. That's enough to damage your hearing in one fell swoop, so prolonged ear bashing next to cymbals and the rest of the kit will definitely do it. Didnt Tony Levin say he'd been using earplugs for decades but still had tinnitus and quite a bit of hearing damage? Not sure how much of the latter is due to age as you naturally lose the top end anyway.

[quote name='bode' timestamp='1353025638' post='1870820']
Every time they mention tinnitus on TV, they talk about a loud whooshing noise, not a whining noise. I'm listening to my WHEEEEE noise right now, I've got two notes, one of them too high to guess the note. I also heard that these whining noises are your body's natural sound...think of all those moving parts in your body, they can't be silent can they?
[/quote]

Same here! Now I've got that wonderful "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" in my ears. :(
Hearing aids a good for reducing it.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1337171936' post='1656542']
A bit more info from splugz.co.uk with regard to musicians specifically:

[url="http://www.splugz.co.uk/musicians-earplugs/"]http://www.splugz.co...cians-earplugs/[/url]

FYI only, I stress again that I'm not associated with Splugz Ltd in any way. :)

Edit: Cheapest I've found is on the Bay, £7.99 free p+p:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/er20s-musicians-high-fi-earplugs-case-er-20s-ER20s-/221004063868?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Access_RL&hash=item3374de647c#ht_760wt_954"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/er20s-musicians-high-fi-earplugs-case-er-20s-ER20s-/221004063868?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Access_RL&hash=item3374de647c#ht_760wt_954[/url]
[/quote]thanks for the link, just bought some, was at a place Friday and the volume was amazingly loud