Why become a member? ×

Traded: Shuker JJ Burnel Purple P Bass: Traded

I recently acquired this of Dan Webb on this very forum. It's a Shuker JJ Burnel Signature P Bass that has been finished in a gorgeous metallic purple with pearloid pickguard, rather than the usual black livery. Build quality is superb and the satin finish neck is one of the nicest I've played.

The bass is absolutely superb and in mint condition. It weighs in at 10lbs and plays beautifully (currently fit with a set of Flatwounds).

Jon is currently making a vintage white and a black pickguard as personally I think it will look better with one or the other. It also comes with a Protection Racket gigbag (superb piece of kit).

I intended to keep this bass but a serious mishap with my Mountain Bike has added a considerable amount of expense I wasn't expecting!

I'm looking for £860 (or £830 without gigbag) for this, but would consider trading down value-wise for an Epiphone Jack Casady with the balance being paid in cash. I may consider a US Fender P Bass, 51 or Sting P Bass or Fender Jazz plus cash my way too.

Here is the spec:

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Width at nut 44mm
[color=#000000]3 piece basswood and english white ash body[/color]
[color=#000000]40mm thickness[/color]
[color=#000000]polyester basecoat, black colour, wet look lacquer top coat.[/color]
[color=#000000]laminated Phenolic scratchplate[/color]
[color=#000000]custom wound P pickups (slightly overwound)[/color]
[color=#000000]Gotoh bridge, chrome[/color]
[color=#000000]straplocks[/color]
[color=#000000]copper can shielding[/color]
[color=#000000]wide band tone cut[/color]
[color=#000000]maple neck[/color]
[color=#000000]maple f/board, black front and side dots[/color]
[color=#000000]Or rosewood board, white fron and side dots[/color]
[color=#000000]jumbo fretwire[/color]
[color=#000000]two way adjustable truss rod, neck heel end adjustable[/color]
[color=#000000]dual carbon fibre neck reinforcement[/color]
[color=#000000]Gotoh tuners[/color]
[color=#000000]brass nut[/color]
[color=#000000]satin finish on neck[/color]
[color=#000000]individually signed and numbered[/color][/font][/size]

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1336937483' post='1653029']
What is wide band tone cut?
[/quote]

It apparently takes a little more treble off than the original tone pot on JJ's bass. To my ears though it gives more tonal variation than a normal P Bass tone circuit

It's not my colour but that's a steal, i'd go for the black pickguard same as you. I've stood front row at a Stranglers concert and those basses have insane output, it's like being inside your heart and listening to it after your body's just drank 10 cans of red bull...vivid imagination

Edited by Schnozzalee

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1337787946' post='1665492']
Did you say in the OP that Jon is making a black pickguard for this?
[/quote]

That's right. he's making 2; a black one and a vintage white one. The black one is finished and the vintage white one should be done by the end of this week :)

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1338042798' post='1668942']
I should've taken you up on your offer ;)
[/quote]

You should have mate because instead I bought a very very nice Shuker PJ custom off Gibett123

Edited by deanbean502

Just out of interest. Do you know if it's a refin? I can't imagine Jon doing a SigJJB in non black, since that would make it not sig, wouldn't it?

And do you mind if I ask how much Jon is charging for the scratchplate? My JJ will be finished end of June, and I'd like an alternate plate too.

Edited by GremlinAndy

Hi Andy

Jon charged £25 each for the pickguards.

The bass is a standard spec JJ Burnel P bass but was built from new for Dan in a custom colour. As it's not black, Jon and Dan agree dto not put the JJ Burnel signature on the headstock.

To be honest, the more I play this, the more I'm falling in love with it :)

Ah I see, that's how they got round it! Well that's even better that it's a Shuker finish and not a refin! It's a beaut,

I dunno if it'll help, but mine is costing almost twice the asking price of this one! If I'd had the opportunity I could have saved quite a wedge by buying this one.

I saw JJ a the O2 in Sheff a couple of months ago. ...And although I'm not really a Stranglers fan, JJs sound was *PHENOMINAL* using Jons built P's ! I'm not suprised you're having second thoughts!

Hi Barrie. God Save the Queen :)

Weight is 10lbs (maybe 10lbs 1oz)

Not sure who made the pickup as all the Shuker website says is "custom wound pickup". I have a feeling it's Seymour Duncan but I could have made that up.

Pickguards are included in the price as I'd have no use for them.

:)