Why become a member? ×

Fender Aerodyne opinions??

highwayone

My opinion is that I want one; and I'm also of the opinion that I have a good taste in basses. Make of that what you will.

Is there overly much to choose? Am unsure. The body and styling, but nothing major I wouldn't imagine.

Edited by Gust0o

I have had 2 aerodynes, (1 export 1 non-export), and both were fantastic basses. I seriously regret selling them, and I will be buying one in the near future when I can afford to. They look gorgeous, sound amazing and are very light :)

If you get the chance to buy one, take it I say :)

I wanted one last year but there weren't any around (2nd hand) once I saved up the money.
I tried one in Guitar Guitar in Brum (nice helpful people in the shop BTW) my only criticism was that the set up was awful , but then only the US delux
models were set up nicely.
Set up can fixed without too much trouble. Nice bass.

I had one with Fralins in and it was great. I wasn't that keen on the stained fretboard, though, it made it look a bit cheap. There were a couple of weird things too that you ought to know, the bridge is in a routed recess of its own so it would difficult to fit a replacement bridge without doing some woodwork however the bridge is way more substantial than the classic Fender bent bit o' tin. The other thing is depending on the height at which you string it, it can prove to be uncomfortable to play with a pick; you get the upper shoulder of the body digging in to your forearm. Very minor things and shouldn't bother most people. I ended up selling mine because someone bugged me about it so much and ended up offering me what I'd paid so it was job done. I would never say never again about any Japanese Fender, they rock.

My Aerodyne J is superb. Bought to sell on as it was at too low a price, couldn't bring myself to do so, so the neck's now off and defretted to justify keeping! It's the 'export' version, which I have to say looks to me a whole lot sleeker without the scratchplate. Lovely feel to play and a monstrous 'fat' jazz tone.

I have just got a non-export J in gunmetal blue. It looks fantastic and sounds even better. The P/J combination is brilliant.

I think the export version is lighter, but only available in black, and is rumoured to show every single finger mark. It does have the rather groovy Strat type recessed jack socket, where mine has the standard Jazz one on the control plate.

Buy one

this one is yummy if it had a maple fingerboard I'd be all over it.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Aerodyne-jazz-Bass-japanese-import-Candy-Apple-Red-/330720239648?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4d00766020"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Aerodyne-jazz-Bass-japanese-import-Candy-Apple-Red-/330720239648?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4d00766020[/url]

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1335400381' post='1630638']
this one is yummy if it had a maple fingerboard I'd be all over it.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Aerodyne-jazz-Bass-japanese-import-Candy-Apple-Red-/330720239648?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4d00766020"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4d00766020[/url]
[/quote]

That's the colour I had. Very nice indeed.

I had one of the non-export ones for a while because I wanted a P/J type bass. Very well put together and good looking but I always felt it wasn't[i] quite[/i] what I was after. Replaced it with an Overwater Classic Jazz which I am happier with but that's purely down to personal taste.

I had a lovely looking Precision Aero - couldn't help but love it for it's looks, but spent a long time trying to convince myself that it sounded as good as it looked. And eventually had to accept that it didn't. At least, on the P pickup it certainly didn't sound as good as any half decent US or Jap Pbass I've played. Still kinda miss it though...

Edited by alhbass

Try one standing first and play moving around, they are a bit like ricks, in that that the body contour resembles a kitchen worktop, if your a real skinny guy, they are great, but if you get fed properly, you will miss the smooth cut outs of the precision and jazz basses