Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Alabama Shakes

Chris Horton

Mention has been made of the bass player's facial contortions and that he's only playing 3 notes.

Well, 3 notes is all he needs to play and his face tells me he truly loves those 3 notes.

I've been trawling youtube listening to these guys and they just get better. Must buy the CD.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1335528027' post='1632638']
...I reckon the bass player was pulling the faces because he probably came from country and western music and isn't used to playing such a busy bassline...
[/quote]

:lol: Someone really should start a 'bass-face' thread.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1335528027' post='1632638']
I'm not a big fan of Southern rock but I thought they were great, one of the best acts on Jools for while.

I reckon the bass player was pulling the faces because he probably came from country and western music and isn't used to playing such a busy bassline. ;) :P
[/quote]

I wouldn't call what they're doing Southern rock. I view it much more as retro-soul. On the other hand, Duane Allman is the best representative of Southern rock that I can think of. He was directly involved with some of the best soul music of the 60s--the Muscle Shoals sound. So, the lines can be blurred.

[quote name='Austin7' timestamp='1335529358' post='1632677']
I wouldn't call what they're doing Southern rock. I view it much more as retro-soul. On the other hand, Duane Allman is the best representative of Southern rock that I can think of. He was directly involved with some of the best soul music of the 60s--the Muscle Shoals sound. So, the lines can be blurred.
[/quote]

Fair enough, I thought I saw something on the BBC website that labelled them Southern Rock..... maybe I dreamed it! It's pretty soulful stuff for sure.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1335535321' post='1632805']
Fair enough, I thought I saw something on the BBC website that labelled them Southern Rock..... maybe I dreamed it! It's pretty soulful stuff for sure.
[/quote]

It can be hard to label people. Ginger Baker insisted he was a jazz drummer, not a rock drummer, for instance. Many other examples could be given. In the case of the Alabama Shakes, what I'm hearing is essentially soul music. But if someone wants to label them Southern rock, that's perfectly understandable. From what I've read about them, that lead guitarist had a specific vision for them to take old soul music and interpret it their own way. I think that singer may actually be a rocker at heart. But when she sings, it comes out as soul music, in my opinion. As someone who has been around Southern rock all my life, I just tend to think of it as something quite a bit different from what they're doing. One thing is that in Southern rock songs there is a tendency for the drummer to play behind the beat. Another distinctive part of Southern rock is its blues rock sound. Also, it can have a very faint country influence. But to me it is far from being country or soul music. This is just my personal spin on it, not like something I would be able to prove by using any kind of formal method or anything like that. I'm going by feel, not necessarily pure logic per se. Also, when I use the term Southern rock, I'm referring to the Allman Brothers and that sort of thing rather than contemporary music.

Edited by Austin7

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1335557628' post='1633252']
...yet another band I dont get :(
[/quote]

Each to his own and all that though, innit? For example, I don't like ...er, Chas 'n' Dave.*

[size=1]* I do really, they're freakin' [i]awesome![/i][/size]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335559948' post='1633283']
Each to his own and all that though, innit? For example, I don't like ...er, Chas 'n' Dave.*

[size=1]* I do really, they're freakin' [i]awesome![/i][/size]
[/quote]

Quite! I don't like mushrooms. Honest, I hate them, really detest them, loathe them, the mere thought of them sends me...

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1335560873' post='1633306']
Quite! I don't like mushrooms. Honest, I hate them, really detest them, loathe them, the mere thought of them sends me...
[/quote]

I used to work with a woman who had a phobia to mushrooms , it was the ridges underneath the top which gave her the creeps

Edited by thunderbird13

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1335557628' post='1633252']
Well that was dissapointing - after all the rave reviews I found their album on Spotify, lasted about 5 tracks then had to turn it off - yet another band I dont get

There's your answer
[/quote][quote name='Stu-khag' timestamp='1335559154' post='1633274']
6music have been championing them for a little while[/quote]

Once the Beeb get hold of the hip and happening thang then it's the kiss of death.

At the moment I'm veering towards T-bird 13's side of the fence - shouty woman and what's with the kitchen sponge under the bass strings :huh: . Pseuds corner or what?

OTOH I did rather like Carolina Chocolate Drops. :)

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1335560873' post='1633306']

[/quote]

You do have to be careful with mushrooms .

If you have too many you fond have mushroom for anything else :)

Its bad i know ,I'm sorry , I just could not hold myself back :)

Didnt see them on JH, but have just heard a track played on R2. I wanted to like it, but it didnt quite leap up and bite me. I think I'll have to reserve judgement until I hear some more..

Edit. It might have been 6Music not R2. I dont even know what I'm listening to half the time!

Edited by seashell