Why become a member? ×

well that's me not playing bass for a few days

ahpook

taking a metal file out of its packaging...

my own fault...using the wrong tool for the wrong job - a blade rather than scissors, but the scissors wouldn't cut through the cable ties holding the file in the packaging.

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='Buzz' post='177496' date='Apr 16 2008, 12:08 AM']Remember what they said in school: Always cut away from you, never towards![/quote]

i did...i'm still a little baffled how i did it.

but i did, and it'll teach me a lesson...always get girlfren to open the packaging

:)

[quote name='The Funk' post='177501' date='Apr 16 2008, 12:14 AM']Someone was telling me about a jazz gig Jack Bruce was doing in the early 60s on double bass. He was digging into the strings so hard that eventually part of his finger tore off and flew into the crowd. Could be completely bollocks but that's what I heard.[/quote]

If it's true it hasn't affected his playing ability :)

electric tape. (ie the tape electricians use not actual tape that can be electric) works a treat on gashed hands, keeps them together, lessens the pain and has the same feel as skin.

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='177505' date='Apr 16 2008, 12:19 AM']electric tape. (ie the tape electricians use not actual tape that can be electric) works a treat on gashed hands, keeps them together, lessens the pain and has the same feel as skin.[/quote]

top tip.

think i'm best off not playing for a few days - the position of it means that any slides are prolly going to tear it open.

i'm off to a friend's up in preston for a week of music and recording weekend after next...i want it to be ok for then, so caution's going to be the watchword.

betcha my new pedal arrives tomoz...

[quote name='The Funk' post='177509' date='Apr 16 2008, 12:26 AM']I agree. It was Pete Brown who told me so the chances are it could well be true.[/quote]

He does dig in Mr Bruce, still, the thought of finger/hand injuries always make me wince a bit.

[quote name='ahpook' post='177493' date='Apr 16 2008, 12:06 AM']my own fault...using the wrong tool for the wrong job - a blade rather than scissors, but the scissors wouldn't cut through the cable ties holding the file in the packaging.[/quote]
Alternative system with cable ties - get a long screwdriver, put it through the middle of the cable tie, then twist so you're stretching the cable tie. Just increase the tension in the cable tie until it breaks.

Not that you'll be doing anything so daft again, of course...

Sorry to hear that mate. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

A few years ago I had a mishap cutting cable ties with a stanley knife. I knew that I should have got a pair of cable cutters but couldn't be bothered. Nearly cost me my life. The blade slipped and entered my wrist and kept going for about three inches. Cut along side the artery, but not through it. I was on my own and it was a real gusher.
Still get all of a wobble thinking about it.

All the best

[quote name='cheddatom' post='177669' date='Apr 16 2008, 10:48 AM']See the plastic flappy thing that holds it in place when tight? You just lift that up and you can undo it.

You must be talking about something else I guess.[/quote]
They're the things I'm talking about. You need a small screwdriver to get the flap up - and it's not so easy to do that when the surplus has been cut off flush with the little boxy bit. Plus the times when I have to take cable ties off are normally when working on a motorcycle outside in the cold and rain, so I couldn't be arsed messing around with little flappy things when I can stick the screwdriver through the loop and turn and it'll be off in under a second.

[quote name='tauzero' post='177740' date='Apr 16 2008, 11:56 AM']They're the things I'm talking about. You need a small screwdriver to get the flap up - and it's not so easy to do that when the surplus has been cut off flush with the little boxy bit. Plus the times when I have to take cable ties off are normally when working on a motorcycle outside in the cold and rain, so I couldn't be arsed messing around with little flappy things when I can stick the screwdriver through the loop and turn and it'll be off in under a second.[/quote]

Right, yeh, I guess I hadn't considered the practicalities of actually undoing them when they're hard to get at. It is a bit fiddly!

[quote name='Jase' post='177516' date='Apr 16 2008, 12:32 AM']So aphook, you in need of a stitch or two?[/quote]

thankfully no.

it was still oozing blood after i got into work this morning, so i checked in with my boss and went over to univeristy college hospital for a three hour wait before spending 5 mins with a very charming aussie lady doctor :)

no stitches, but if it had been a few mill further toward my nail it would have been a lot worse i was told. phew !!

so, i've had it bandaged and was given a tetnus jab.

i mentioned i played bass and she told me i should really steer clear until next week when the flap of skin's started to heal over. this is a pain as i've got band praccy tonight and on sunday.

BUT she did put my occupation on the paperwork as 'professional musican' cos she said she like the sound of it more !!

so folks...moral of this story ?

[i]use the right tool for the right job...no matter how much of a rush you're in[/i]

Edited by ahpook

Sorry to hear about the injury, man.

I know the feeling. A week or so ago I caught an American football badly, bending my left hand little finger down (away from the others) from the force of the ball. Hurt like a slag, bruised up badly and I wasn't able to do anything with it for a while. Pretty much better now though thank God. Recording at the weekend was interesting...

this is great...

the guitarist on one of the bands is now spitting the dummy somewhat that i may not be able to make practise on sunday...

i just can't believe it. a doctor's told me not to play until it's healed, and he expects me to risk tearing my finger open.