Why become a member? ×

Mag 300 with 1 2 x 10 cab enough for pubs and clubs?

JayPH

Lads, is this kind of rig going to be ok for pubs and small club venues?

Also is this good value?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashdown-Mag300-Half-Stack-/180828120831#vi-content"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashdown-Mag300-Half-Stack-/180828120831#vi-content[/url]

Cheers

J

I'd say close but no cigar.

Aside from whether the sound is what you want, the amp can do 300w into 4 ohms... which is ok in itself but the cab is the restrictive element at 4 ohms.
That means to be loud enough for loudish gigs you have to run the amp high and that cab isn't going to do too well... or leave you any room for up scaling to a another second cab.

If you can get away with just the 210 and the amp then ok..but that, IMO is debatable, so you would need the option of running 2 cabs..to handle the power..at 8ohms each.

My thinking would be amp ok at 300 into 4ohms ( just ) but you need a cab or cabs capable of taking that. Also, not sure this amp will have any useable headroom so you'll run it hard and then maybe have to suffer the only tone that will work at that volume...
All in all, a no from me and look elsewhere. Consider 500w into 4 ohms as you can always use the extra headroom but turn down if need be..

I play pub gigs with a 210 combo (350w into 4ohms) and it's plenty loud enough.

I wouldn't however buy this head and cab. Firstly they seem a bit mismatched and second you can't add another cab, hence negating the flexibility and purpose of having a head and cab...sort of :)

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1334925858' post='1623562']
....Lads, is this kind of rig going to be ok for pubs and small club venues?....
[/quote]

How loud are you going to play?

Others play through 300 watts and a 210 cab but they might be quieter than you. I wouldn't play pub gigs with 1 cab unless it was a 212 or 410. But then I might be louder than you.

I suspect the 4 ohm rating of the cab in the seller's blurb may be incorrect. It doesn't really make much sense to produce a 4 ohm 2x10 if none of your amps can run at 2 ohms.

Edit: A quick Google reveals that everyone selling it says it's 4 ohm and it's not listed on the Ashdown site

Edited by DirkThrust

In terms of volume I reckon it will be loud enough, but with 300 watts into a cab that handles 250, will you be able to have it loud enough using the tone you want I think is another important question. If lots of deep low-end is required, I reckon that may be pushing it a bit.

As above, how loud are you intending to play? Heavy handed drummer and 2 guitars with valve half-stacks would most likely mean you`ll be lost. Couple the amp with a 4 ohm 410 or 212, much more air being pushed, especially if the cabs can handle 500 watts or more, plus a high sensitivity rating.

Cheers everyone. I was only looking at this because I thought I would be able to add another 2 x 10 if necessary I didn't think about the power requirements ...duh!

I'll go and try some before I buy. Goin to PMT in Manchester on Tuesday so I'll try some there. I do need to be quite loud to compete with 2 guitars, drums amd singer. I would probably get away with the rig I linked to but pointless really if it's going to be struggling.

Is there an idiots guide to power considerations for heads/cabs anyone could point me to? Is it safe to say I need a 500w amp?

Cheers

J

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1334944290' post='1623966']
I do need to be quite loud to compete with 2 guitars, drums amd singer.

Is there an idiots guide to power considerations for heads/cabs anyone could point me to? Is it safe to say I need a 500w amp?

Cheers

J
[/quote]

I've played small pub gigs with a MAG250 1x15 combo, which is about the same order of loudness as what you're looking at but anywhere bigger it'll struggle and as it seems that you can't add another cab to that setup I would look for something you can add to.

Ashdown have an 8 ohm MAG 2x10 in their range which I would expect somewhere like PMT to have in stock. 500watts is better than 300 but the main factor determining your volume will be speaker cone area and efficiency and EQ settings.

Something else to consider is how loud you are going to be able to play in your average pub. Guitar heros love turning their Marshalls up to ear bleeding levels in band practice but most pubs I've played in the first words the landlord usually utters are "can you turn down please" so maybe it won't be as much of a problem as you think. It depends on the venues you'll be playing.

Edited by DirkThrust

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334944539' post='1623974']
Some bits of info here:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/3730-gain-power-and-volume-a-confusing-menage-a-trois/"]http://basschat.co.u...menage-a-trois/[/url]
[/quote]
Cheers for that mate
[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1334947096' post='1624021']
If you intend to try the rig..then make sure the 210 cab is 8ohm... that will protect the cab to a degree and stop the amp running too much power into it...but then you will almost certainly need another cab at 8ohms to compete.
[/quote]
I see. That's probably the way i will go to keep the initial cost down. I can always add another cab if need be. cheers

[quote name='DirkThrust' timestamp='1334958340' post='1624190']
I've played small pub gigs with a MAG250 1x15 combo, which is about the same order of loudness as what you're looking at but anywhere bigger it'll struggle and as it seems that you can't add another cab to that setup I would look for something you can add to.

Ashdown have an 8 ohm MAG 2x10 in their range which I would expect somewhere like PMT to have in stock. 500watts is better than 300 but the main factor determining your volume will be speaker cone area and efficiency and EQ settings.

Something else to consider is how loud you are going to be able to play in your average pub. Guitar heros love turning their Marshalls up to ear bleeding levels in band practice but most pubs I've played in the first words the landlord usually utters are "can you turn down please" so maybe it won't be as much of a problem as you think. It depends on the venues you'll be playing.
[/quote]
Yes, most pubs i go in don't have it too loud. I think one 2 x 10 might do for most places we will be playing. That is if we get a new drummer. apparantly he has left the band. I thought it was a strop but isnt looking good. Bands ey!

[quote name='clashcityrocker' timestamp='1334933174' post='1623719']
I would agree,more likely it will be fine for some gigs but there will come a time when its restricting you. Not to be cheeky but I am selling my abm 575w combo and 2x10, listening to offers..... Anyway I think for the size similarities,500 would be safer,and the abm is thought to be quite abit better than mag
[/quote]

Would prefer a head and cabs but might be interested if the price is right. Going to take icastles advice and try one when i go to pmt next week to see if i like the ashdown sound. Will talk to you next week.

cheers

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1334963950' post='1624283']

Would prefer a head and cabs but might be interested if the price is right. Going to take icastles advice and try one when i go to pmt next week to see if i like the ashdown sound. Will talk to you next week.

cheers
[/quote]
No worries,I have actually made a head box so it is a head and cab atm but can easily become a combo again. Let me know
Si

Edited by clashcityrocker