Why become a member? ×

Fodera Monarch Deluxe - London / Orkney (?) craigslist

Fodera Monarch Deluxe - Once in a Lifetime Opportunity - £1750

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/msg/2903255707.html

Any comments / further knowledge on this one?

Ask as I've now received 25 messages in 12 days via Talkbass from a guy in the USA who wants a Fodera but doesn't seem to think that 'if it looks too good to be true, then it probably is' - asking me if I could check the bank accounts, telephone number [07873879928 - instantly evasive], if I had a friend in Orkney etc. etc. etc. (!!!!)

Seller claims to live in Orkney, calls himself both Vincent Huber & Arunas Vaitkevicius and seems to have bank accounts in Notting Hill Gate and Stratford. No PayPal, bank-transfer only. No collection (if anybody was planning a trip to Orkney!)

Photos and description apparently lifted form Fodera site ages ago: a bit of a give away when he says .... "although I have owned and played the bass for several years now, Vinny, Joey and I (the three partners / owners here at Fodera) all feel that if one of our instruments is not being played, it should be passed on to someone else...."

Chap in the USA seems to think that this bass is now sold and aks if I can find the person (possibly here) who bought it ............ ?!

Discuss

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1334819761' post='1621639']
The 'Orkney' thing is a well-known technique designed to discourage viewing before purchase. It's a scam.
[/quote]

Time to call on the more northern members of the brotherhood!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1334819761' post='1621639']
The 'Orkney' thing is a well-known technique designed to discourage viewing before purchase. It's a scam.
[/quote]
[quote name='loudandclear' timestamp='1334820090' post='1621645']
+1 - its a scam
[/quote]
[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1334830638' post='1621894']
If that bass is actually in Orkney and actually in the possession of the multi-monikered, multi-accounted, land line shy, website plagiarising Craiglister then I'll eat one of my basses with no aid from condiments.
[/quote]
[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1334838258' post='1622111']
well if anyone wants to pay for the flight/train-boat from Edinburgh I wouldn't mind a holiday in orkney, and ill bring the bass back to the mainland :)
[/quote]

Thanks / as expected: collated and to be forwarded. Latest Q:-

[i]Is there any way to secure the money into the bank and tell them about this bass and if this is fraud they can refund the money and sent this guy to the court ?[/i]

!!!!!!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1334848396' post='1622323']
.... he's not getting it's a fraud is he? [/quote] ....it appears not; I just hope he doesn't act upon the IBAN/BIC details he's been given; he seems to think that as these have been verified as genuine (via some website check) then it means it's a bona fide deal.....

[quote name='eubassix' timestamp='1334847728' post='1622300']
Thanks / as expected: collated and to be forwarded. Latest Q:-

[i]Is there any way to secure the money into the bank and tell them about this bass and if this is fraud they can refund the money and sent this guy to the court ?[/i]

!!!!!!
[/quote]

Just a hunch, but when you travel on the bus, does the nutter always sit down next to you?

Not sure what you've done to deserve it.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1334861997' post='1622634']
Just a hunch, but when you travel on the bus, does the nutter always sit down next to you?
Not sure what you've done to deserve it.
[/quote]
Not generally, but there have been a few.
I thought it would be a couple of quick checks which is OK, but wasn't anticipating 28 messages in 12 days and some of the things I was being asked about or to do. Quiet since Thursday (!).

I went to America to collect a bass once to be sure it wasn't a scam, and have also made trips to scotland and other places. Aside from everything, its always nice to meet new people. However, on various occasions the Shetland/orkney location has appeared and I have suggested that since I have family there, I may as well collect in person. The fact that every time I suggest this I never hear a reply means that this is best avoided. Either that or theres a bunch of serious bassists there with serious gear who all suddenely decide they don't want to sell their exotic basses after all.

• 2 weeks later...

Back last year I spotted a Martin D-45 for £900 on London Craigslist and Gumtree. Further enquiries revealed guitar in Orkney, not London. Fine, said I, I'll hop up and have a looka nd give you cash if all ok. Never heard FA after that.

Some of these c****s are well dumb.