Why become a member? ×

What would you do?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1334830563' post='1621893']
I can't say that it would bother me. I paid for all the recording and production cost for my bands last single because I had the money available and it was something I wanted to do. The band are grateful and the agreement is that all money from selling the CDs and downloads goes to me until the costs have been covered - a deal that we are all happy with.

I've been in too many bands where the only legacy has been a handful of poorly recorded tracks on compact cassette and for this band I want a more permanent records of the music that I am involved with.

I ought to qualify my original post by saying that I don't actually need any more basses and if I was to buy another one it would most likely cost more than £5k, so for me the money would be better spent on other things for the band.
[/quote]

I for one would love to know what beast of a bass you would end up splurging on :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1334831606' post='1621926']
Hmm, already got the bass I want, but I've got big GAS for an Ampeg 8 X 10 and SVT CL, so that would do it nicely! :D
[/quote]

Would you use the rest to pay for a roadie then? :P

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1334830644' post='1621895']
I for one would love to know what beast of a bass you would end up splurging on :)
[/quote]

It would be another Gus, based on the current list prices it would definitely be over £5k. It's spec would depend on what kind of music I was playing at the time of ordering, so either another fretted 5-string taking my favourite features of the two I already have and combining them with a few extras, or a fretless 5-string fitted with an ACG EQ01 preamp and carbon fibre fingerboard.

I'd get my driving license, a car, and insurance. Though if we had to buy bass gear, it would be:

A Squier VM Jazz (Natural/Black/Maple), Squier CV 50's Precision, Musicman Stingray 5 (White/Black/Maple), Barefaced Super 12, A Micro Head (Genz Streamliner, Markbass, Ashdown etc...) along with a Boss Tuner, Sansamp VT Deluxe, Line 6 Relay G50 with extra transmitters, octave, and get all my basses a really good setup, along with fixing my Ibanez. If there's any left over i'd get some more fun pedals (Synth, Source Audio BEF/BEF Pro with Hot Hand, etc...)

That's what i'd do (assuming we're allowed to buy used, of course).

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1334831936' post='1621938']
It would be another Gus, based on the current list prices it would definitely be over £5k. It's spec would depend on what kind of music I was playing at the time of ordering, so either another fretted 5-string taking my favourite features of the two I already have and combining them with a few extras, or a fretless 5-string fitted with an ACG EQ01 preamp and carbon fibre fingerboard.
[/quote]

A Gus is definitely on my "to try" list at somepoint. Didn't realise they were that expensive!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1334836610' post='1622075']
A Gus is definitely on my "to try" list at somepoint. Didn't realise they were that expensive!
[/quote]

Unfortunately they have taken quite a steep price hike in recent years. They are very labour intensive to make - Simon Farmer reckons about 150 man hours for the standard models. Luckily for me, mine were all date from when they were considerably cheaper...

Five grand can buy a heck of a lot of bass (sadly less than half of a new Fodera though!) - but not much when it comes to holidays of a lifetime, cars or houses. Which is quite depressing but at the same time rather cool.

Buying basses is a far less expensive habit than cars, for example. Which can only be good news. :D

If someone gave me £5000 and there would be no comebacks, I'd quite like to try a couple of Rickenbackers - just to see if I really could get on with one. It would also be really cool do have a "Wayne's World" moment. After a while noodling around on a bass in a music shop, turn round and flash your wad saying "I'll take it! Do you accept cash my man?". :lol:

[i][size=2](Edited for being an idiot)[/size][/i]

Edited by Conan

Two Matamp rigs. Much more complicated things to make than woo solid body basses so worth putting the money into.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1334830563' post='1621893']
I ought to qualify my original post by saying that I don't actually need any more basses and if I was to buy another one it would most likely cost more than £5k, so for me the money would be better spent on other things for the band.
[/quote]

You should totally invest it in having us make aluminium necks.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1334846614' post='1622286']
"I'll take it! Do you [i]except[/i] cash my man?". :lol:
[/quote]

Aaargh

Edited by Mr. Foxen