Why become a member? ×

Pierce Brosnan & David Hasselhoff Guilty of Being in Their 50s

Austin7

[url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2129622/Coachella-2012-David-Hasselhoff-59-Pierce-Brosnan-58-try-hip-Coachella-festival.html?ito=feeds-newsxml"]http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml[/url]

Have Pierce Brosnan and David Hasselhoff completely gone mad? Both were spotted at a music festival evidently trying to look "hip" and attempting to actually listen to rock music at the advanced ages of 58 and 59. Why weren't these men at an old folks home playing checkers and complaining about wrinkles and bad backs? Thank God the "Daily Mail" has brought the world this incredible story.

Frankly, the 'story' is pretty much on a par with much of the Mail's online output. Most of their headlines can be assembled by combining some random phrases from the following list:

BFF
Curvy
Yummy-mummy
Bikini Body
Heartbreak
Courtney
Break-up
Ex
Shock
New
Old
Current
Beach
Flaunt
Baby
Shows off
Baby-bump
Bare
Dares (to)
Weeps
Snubs
In hiding
Peter
Under-dressed
Peter Andre

I detect no age-ism. Just a desperation to find a hook for some pictures of some 'Celebs' and some rather vacuous 'young people'. [i]All[/i] of whom are wearing ghastly clothes that fit only where they touch.

Coachella festival my arse. More stories about single Mums bilking the state. It's what the Mail is for.

And this thread should be in Off-topic. I don't expect to have to come trekking all the way out to bloody GBD for my dose of outrage, if you [i]don't [/i]mind. (Mutter, mumble, grumble)

Edited by skankdelvar

Yer typical Mail headline consists of a ludicrous question - "Is Lettuce Turning Our Teens Into Satanists?" - which can be very simply answered by one word: 'No', but instead is followed by 500 words of reactionary drivel. Arseholes! And let us never forget that this is The Paper That Supported Hitler.

Why I am here? Why am I posting articles from British publications that I know little about? In the wrong section, too, not in Off Topic where it belongs. I say this with complete sincerity: because spending even one more minute on TB might have caused me to go berserk.

[quote name='Panamonte' timestamp='1334444600' post='1616375']
Yer typical Mail headline ...And let us never forget that this is The Paper That Supported Hitler.[/quote]

I don't know why the Mail gets so much stick for this. Pretty much every other paper (apart from the Morning Star) thought Herr Hitler was a splendid chap, as did swathes of the aristocracy and David Lloyd George. George Formby performed for the Fuhrer as did Jessie Matthews.

Just so Austin7 doesn't feel left out, we should also remember Walt Disney, Avery Brundage, Charles Lindbergh, the bloke from IBM whose name I always forget, Grandad Bush, Ginger Rogers, Walter Brennan and millions of mid-Westerners who turned out for the Bund (those tasty bratwurst, eh?).

And before any Candians here start patting themselves on the back, their team threw the old Heil Hitler at the '36 Olympics. Same year the town of Halifax (NS) hung out swastikas for a visiting U-boat.

And General Franco. And Maurice Chevalier. And Stalin (for about a year). Hirohito, the Pope, Pierre Laval and Juan Peron. And my mate's Grandad from Penkridge.

Everybody loved Hitler, so why the Mail hate?

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1334446325' post='1616400']
Everybody loved Hitler, so why the Mail hate?
[/quote]

You're absolutely right, Skank - I just have an abiding dislike of the Mail and it amuses me to dredge up the political leanings of its proprietor 80 years ago to use as a stick to beat it with now - let's face it, it's a snappy phrase.

If anything I think the paper's influence is more pernicious now than it was then, when - as you rightly say - there were plenty of members of the British establishment who were equally strong proponents of appeasement.

This has really veered wildly off topic hasn't it?

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1334446573' post='1616406']
I'd have expected better from Ginger Rogers:-(
[/quote]

Didn't we all? There she was, gliding across the floor with Fred Astaire and all the time she was thinking "That cow-lick of hair, that tiny 'tache, those blue eyes. Be still, my beating heart."

Juan Antonio Samaranch (president of the Olympics 1980-2001) was a Spanish fascist. Harry Corbett (creator of Sooty) was a member of the youth wing of the British Union of Fascists.

And this was the Irish Army uniform up until about 1940:

See - everyone was at it.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

On the plus side, Tingha and Tucker the TV Koalas were both committed Communists until the events of the Prague Spring of 1968, when they repudiated the party and withdrew from public life.

[color=#696969][size=3]1967 - Before The Fall[/size][/color]

[color=#ffffff][size=3].[/size][/color]

Edited by skankdelvar