Why become a member? ×

hartke lh1000 without hydrive?

clashcityrocker

Hi all,finally got my hands on a hartke lh1000,next is the 410 hydrive to go with it but firstly just wanted people opinions on using this amp with different makes of cab,was thinking maybe a markbass 6x10 for instance. I have been told the killer sound from the hartke head is a lot to do with the awesomeness of the hydrive cabs.
Any advice would be great
Thanks Si

The Hydrive cabs are brilliant, so much so that I sold my LH1000 but kept the cab. I played a LH500 through an Ampeg 810 last weekend (festival back line) and that was pretty beefy but not as refined or detailed as the same head through a hydrive. I rate the cabs more than the heads.

Having said that though, the LH heads are so simple it's genius. They have masses and masses of clean headroom and go loud loud loud! - The LH is brilliant and I can't see it not be good paired with any cabinet. 6x10? Yeah! Awesome! I have the Kilo, which features the same pair of 500W bridgeable modules to 1000W and run it in to Hartke 4.5XL cabinets. They are just incredible and leave no doubt as to what the rig is capable of!

[quote name='clashcityrocker' timestamp='1333963974' post='1608692']
Hi all,finally got my hands on a hartke lh1000,next is the 410 hydrive to go with it but firstly just wanted people opinions on using this amp with different makes of cab,was thinking maybe a markbass 6x10 for instance. I have been told the killer sound from the hartke head is a lot to do with the awesomeness of the hydrive cabs.
Any advice would be great
Thanks Si
[/quote]

not sure on the price of a markbass6x10 but have you considered possibly a pair of hydrive 410's ? i have one at present and it is awesome and was thinking of going for an extra hydrive1x15 but now im leaning more towards getting a second 410

I had a Hydrive 410 for a bit, but found it too "tight" on the lows. I like a bit of boom and flap down there (oo-err missus) and the Hydrive didn`t give that. Great sounding cab for what it does though, just not for me. So if you like very tight punchy lows, it would be a great choice.

I must admit I hated the LH series heads. I had a shot of one of my mates LH1000 and just thought it turned everything into a wooly mess. Selling an amp as powerful as that with no "flat" setting? Er, no. Which is why I'm so glad I didn't wait the 4 years for the Kilo as it's got that same FMV tonestack in it which can't be defeated. Come on!! Sort it out Larry!!

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1334047979' post='1609937']
I must admit I hated the LH series heads. I had a shot of one of my mates LH1000 and just thought it turned everything into a wooly mess. Selling an amp as powerful as that with no "flat" setting? Er, no. Which is why I'm so glad I didn't wait the 4 years for the Kilo as it's got that same FMV tonestack in it which can't be defeated. Come on!! Sort it out Larry!!
[/quote]

Wooly mess? What cab were you using? I find my LH500 to be wonderfully clear!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1334159566' post='1611821']
Wooly mess? What cab were you using? I find my LH500 to be wonderfully clear!
[/quote]

I was using my own cabs as in my sig which I tend to run with the tweeters full on. I used it with my Buzzard and Hamer 12 string. The amp was a total pile of poop. I couldn't get anything detailed or usable out of it at all. Now consider what I've just said. The Buzzard could well be described as being "lean bottomed" in terms of sound. It's probably the most brutal 4 string bass I've ever played. I might have been playing in a sludge band. I couldn't get rid of the 60Hz and 250Hz crap. I then tried the Hamer which is so amazingly brutal you could level buildings with it. Well even that got turned into mush. On each occasion when I tried to sort it out it literally went scooped and very, very wiry.

I wondered if it was just me and went to my mate's rehearsals. He was using an 8 string with a couple of ampeg cabs. It was actually even worse. I don't know why anyone would ever use them (aside from them being cheap) especially if you want articulation. If you want a passive type Motown sound, this is your beast as it has amazing headroom. For me though, I just didn't like it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering getting a LH1000 head to replace my ABM EVO III mainly for the extra headroom and simplicity.

I'm just tentative to pull the trigger on one as I'll be using it with 2x 8ohm Ashodwn MAG cabs (2x10 + 1x15) and not sure if it'll play nicely with them and can't afford to replace the cabs.

Any thoughts?

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1335127083' post='1626191']
I'm considering getting a LH1000 head to replace my ABM EVO III mainly for the extra headroom and simplicity.

I'm just tentative to pull the trigger on one as I'll be using it with 2x 8ohm Ashodwn MAG cabs (2x10 + 1x15) and not sure if it'll play nicely with them and can't afford to replace the cabs.
[/quote]

They don't even play nicely with each other, so nice play probably won't be an issue, aside from them not playing nice leads to one or other of them dying (followed by the other one dying if you turn up to compensate). Sell the 2x10, use the money to load the 15" with a Kappalite 3015, and put some knobbly foam in there. Any resemblance between the preceding suggestion and real life events are entirely intentional.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1335127613' post='1626200']
They don't even play nicely with each other, so nice play probably won't be an issue, aside from them not playing nice leads to one or other of them dying (followed by the other one dying if you turn up to compensate). Sell the 2x10, use the money to load the 15" with a Kappalite 3015, and put some knobbly foam in there. Any resemblance between the preceding suggestion and real life events are entirely intentional.
[/quote]

Bless 'em, I can't put them through that.

I'm using the LH500 a AK115 cab. The LH1000 head is a good head. The HyDrive cabs are good , but a bit too bright sounding for my liking. If needed more power than the LH500 head, the LH1000 would be the head of choice for myself.
[IMG]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u426/roadrex/LH500/DSC_0954-1.jpg[/IMG]