Why become a member? ×

drinking at rehearsals

thunderbird13

It's not a case of telling people how to behave. It's a case of having respect for your fellow musicians. People just seem to think they can behave as they want and ignore the effects it has on other people.

Sacking someone from a band is something no one really wants to do and this sort of thing can fester for a while before either someone gets sacked or gives up and leaves.

Which is essentially where the OP is coming from.

If the band regularly drink at rehearsals then obviously it's not the band for me or the OP. The problem happens when either no one speaks up or they're ignored. And what does regularly mean?

And NO we don't all live in huge cities with bands around every corner. I drive 20mins to my rehearsal to play music, if I wanted to hang out with my mates drinking then I would walk 5mins to the pub.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1333976911' post='1608998']
And NO we don't all live in huge cities with bands around every corner... ...I drive 20mins to my rehearsal to play music, if I wanted to hang out with my mates drinking then I would walk 5mins to the pub.
[/quote]

I live in SE London and it's a two-and-a-half hour round trip for me to rehearse. I have a couple of beers during rehearsal - as does most of the band. This was the way of things before I joined them, so who am I to rock the boat?

Had they been totally down on booze I would have respected that too - I can take it or leave it. It's just not that big a deal.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1333976911' post='1608998']
It's not a case of telling people how to behave. It's a case of having respect for your fellow musicians. People just seem to think they can behave as they want and ignore the effects it has on other people.
[/quote]

I agree. The OP should get blind drunk, out of respect for his band mates.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1333977351' post='1609011']

I live in SE London and it's a two-and-a-half hour round trip for me to rehearse. I have a couple of beers during rehearsal - as does most of the band. This was the way of things before I joined them, so who am I to rock the boat?

Had they been totally down on booze I would have respected that too - I can take it or leave it. It's just not that big a deal.
[/quote]

And to be fair to the OP he joined a band who rehearsed then went down the pub. They now want to change that and he's not happy with the situation. In his (and my) experience things rapidly go down hill after that.

Personally if the band's not gigging I would have left well before then anyway.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1333978787' post='1609043']
Personally if the band's not gigging I would have left well before then anyway.
[/quote]

Me too. But then I've never regarded rehearsal as an opportunity for a 'social'. Believe it or not I have met so-called 'musicians' who like to rehearse regularly but [i]never[/i] gig because they really hate it! Work that one out... :blink:

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1333980228' post='1609062']
There are far more people in bands because they like to be able to tell people they're in a band than are in bands because they like to perform.
[/quote]

Eh? :unsure: Do you actually have any statistics or facts to back up this wild assumption? :D

Mainly anecdotal but I was in a large band of 70+ musicians. It was hard to get them to commit to one concert a year. I've played in at least 3 bands that never got to gigging 'standard' according to the band leader. Another band the guys only wanted to play gigs less than 30mins from home and one band where they only wanted to play once every couple of months.

My brother has had similar experiences including a songwriter who had written songs, got a band together to play them, then spent 3 months worth of weekly practices changing each song.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1333980228' post='1609062']
There are far more people in bands because they like to be able to tell people they're in a band than are in bands because they like to perform.
[/quote]

Unfortunately I`ve been in bands with a good few people like that. Want to be able to tell people down the local that they`re in a band, so as to make themselves look a big fish in a small pond. The majority of the time, even if these people do play live, invariably it`s something local, to their own mates, as again, big fish syndrome crops up - what a hero they are to their lesser friends!

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1333984159' post='1609163']
Mainly anecdotal but I was in a large band of 70+ musicians. It was hard to get them to commit to one concert a year. I've played in at least 3 bands that never got to gigging 'standard' according to the band leader. Another band the guys only wanted to play gigs less than 30mins from home and one band where they only wanted to play once every couple of months.

My brother has had similar experiences including a songwriter who had written songs, got a band together to play them, then spent 3 months worth of weekly practices changing each song.
[/quote]

yeah unfortunatley thats my experience as well I dont know if its because there are a large number of people who dont want to gig so statistically you are going to come across them more often OR because these sorts of bands have an ever changing lineup as people join get frustrated and them leave and so there are more vacancies . FWIW I really dont get sitting around playing cover versions just for the sake of it BUT for some people that seems to be what they want :blink:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1333977351' post='1609011']
I live in SE London and it's a two-and-a-half hour round trip for me to rehearse.
[/quote]

Thats part of the problem for me - this band is very local and also I can leave my gear in the rehearsal space. That makes such a difference otherwise I'd have to carry all my gear across London into work and then carry it to rehearsal and then back home afterwards. I used to do that and get home about 1 am after a midweek rehearsal but as I go further into my 40's this just doesn have any appeal anymore ! :)

Increasingly its looking like I'll let this band do what they want and if it starts to affect my enjoyment I'll start to look for another band and look a rehearsals with my current band as a social thing rather than a musical thing

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1333985573' post='1609191']
But, Lozz, [i]it's whatever makes people happy :)[/i][/quote]

Quite the plus one.

Most of us are in hobby bands. Some people take their hobbies less seriously than others, which is probably a sign of good mental health.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1333984159' post='1609163']
Mainly anecdotal but I was in a large band of 70+ musicians.
[/quote]
Blimey - sounds more like an orchestra. :lol:

Seriously though, these discussions really only serve to reinforce that there are many reasons and motivations for playing music. None are 'right' and none are 'wrong'.

The issues arise when a group of differently-motivated people form a band and things are likely to be more harmonious if all members have the same general likes/dislikes and motivation - whether that be bedroom rehearsals only, playing major tours or just playing one cover and all getting rat-arsed.

What is wrong is to insist that rehearsals have to be 'task-orientated' or that no one must drink alcohol or . . . well anything really. it's entirely up to the band members what they do and how they behave. If they can't get along then it'll fall apart and they'll go their separate ways. That's life.

I'm surprised this thread has run to 5 pages to be honest. :rolleyes:

Discussions where people have polar opposite views always go on for pages. Especially when people have strong views of the way things are supposed to be done based on their experiences.

If you're getting paid it's not a hobby and if you expect to get paid you will never get much if you treat it like a hobby. At some point the band becomes a business.

Yes there are many reasons why people play in bands. BUT I played in a band for 12 years that gradually evolved into something I didn't sign up to in the beginning. We had regular meetings to discuss "the direction of the band" and "the way forward" but people would nod and agree to things that they didn't actually agree to and then do nothing.

Essentially you need to speak up and if they don't listen, or if you don't agree with the drinking then you end up leaving which is a shame becuase I think a lot of bands fold due to "changing attitudes". But again that's life.

The older you get and the more you experience it, the more you come to recognise it before it becomes a problem and do something about it.

• 2 weeks later...

that took some reading made me want a beer,as for drinking at rehearsal,tea coffee ect is fine,as you get older and gig for real cash the shows have to be good,so sober I think is best,plus drink driving is a big no no...( this is from a guy who would turn up at a rehearsal and gigs totaly plastered befor a note was played.) :)

Rehearsals are a chore so i need to achieve something.
You can probably gauge the keenest of the band by the numbers of rehearsals that are committed to

Gigs that use pads are ok but can be transitional by nature as you never know who will be on the gig from one date to the next.

I am currently in two minds between wanting a band where I just turn up on the gig and let it happen or trying to head off all little unwanted twists & turns from other members who think their direction is more important than yours or others.

What I really object to is that despite agreement on certains things AFTER discussion, an agenda start to appear from nowhere and adopted ..by default.. as group diection.