Why become a member? ×

BB424 praise.

hamfist

Spent a fun 2 hours in Nevada Music, Portsmouth yesterday. Simply trying out loads of basses.

I'm generally a J bass type of guy, but played various Jazzes, MIA and MIM (how is it every MIM Fender I play in shops is set up like sh1t !), Geddy Lee jazz (neck too slim for me), the Schecter Stargazer (bland and boring), a couple of nice Ibanezes (SR500 and another more expensive one, with Bartolinis I think - both well made but generic in tone), a used Spector Rebop (bit dull TBH), a Yammy TRB1104 (beautifully made but again but just not exciting). Oh, and probably others too. Lastly, on a whim, I picked up a BB424X, as I'd never played one before. Even though it was just below my expected price range. The moment I started playing through the ABM500 combo I was using, I was blown away by the punch, tone and playability. There was a punch and attack that none of the others had. Instantly, it was exactly what I was looking for in a bass tone. I couldn't believe it, for such a reasonably priced bass. I owned a PJ configuration Squier a while ago, but it didn't really hit the spot, like this Yammy. Would have bought it there and then, as it was discounted pretty heavily too. However, the nut slots were too shallow and the first few frets played sharp. The rest of the bass, and the neck were perfect but I was not prepared to buy the bass in that condition. Pointed this out, but the manager was not interested in sorting it out at all. Andy, their bass guy, was very helpful, but ultimately it comes down to the manager to make decisions about any tech work that needs to be done to guitars before they are sold. So, anyway, they've ended up with losing a sale and I shall order from somewhere else today ... getting the colour I really want too ... which is the white BB424X.

Just thought I'd remind folks what a great, great bass the BB424 is. Strangely the bass guy at Nevada says they can hardly give them away. No-one even seems to try them out.

The problem is that whatever Yamaha do - they just won't ever be as cool or desirable as Fender & Co. There's not many people out there that don't care what other people think and this unfortunately makes a big part of peoples decision on what to not buy.

Guys...I have 5 Fenders, but my main giging bass is my Yam BB414 in white, it cost £220 new 3years ago & has never let me down, its not that I'm scarred to gig the Fenders, I did prior to the Yam, its the sound, range, projection, weight & the jazz like fast neck that I now can't gig without it! I'm hooked!

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1333096453' post='1597173']
I'm glad they're a bit uncool - ubelievable value for money with the prices as low as they are.
[/quote]

It's true. Makes them a real bargain for those "in the know".

Yes, although my main passion is Gibson basses, I do have a soft spot for my old, battered Yamaha BB614. It's always there for me in the office to pick up and noodle on at lunchtime, but I've gigged it too and it's no slouch. It's just so easy to play, it's not heavy, the neck is a little slimmer than I like but it's about half way between a P and a J and that's ok for me. It sounds pretty good too, the bridge pickup is surprisingly hot and keeps the neck pickup honest.

I couldn't give a monkey's if they're cool or not according to the general bass playing population. I think Yamaha BB basses (only the truly broad ones though, I'm a bit meh about the slimmer bodied BBs) are cool, so they are.

I played some MIM's too and wasnt really excited by them. I was considering ordering a BB424 online (i played one a few days back and it felt good!), doesn't it concern you buying the bass without playing that particular bass first?

Edited: Poor sentence structure haha! :D

Edited by Townes1992

[quote name='Townes1992' timestamp='1333097777' post='1597208']
I played some MIM's too and wasnt really excited by them. I was considering ordering a BB424 online (i played one a few days back and it felt good!), doesn't it concern you buying one without playing it?
[/quote]

When you live in a place like I do where the music shops are small and don't carry much (interesting) bass stuff, you kinda have no choice. At least buying new from a shop you have Distance Selling regs to protect you - you don't like it then send it back for refund. OK, it might cost you £15-20 to send it back to them but how much does it cost to traipse into town, get parked if necessary, look around, buy lunch because you're out etc etc.?

I would add that anyone who buys instruments on spec alone really ought to be able to set up instruments for themselves, even carry out minor repairs - as that is sometimes required by the nature of the exercise. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the neck is good, I can fix everything else (or know someone who can).

Edited by neepheid

My main bass is a BB415 modded by The Bass Doc to take a John East U-Retro, fitted with D'Addario Chromes, and it's just monsterous. Ridiculously easy to play with a slim J-ish neck and with almost any type of tone available via the JE, it's a superbly capable bass at not a lot of money.

My other bass is a BBG5A - that's the smaller bodied BB, a bit more like a P bass - I have put the humbucking pickups from an RBX375 in there and, although the active EQ is a wee bit weak, it sounds absolutely great & is dead quiet. Neck's a bit wider, more P like.

Yamaha don't make a bad instrument IMHO.

G.

BBs are totally epic and nothing else comes close. I know a few people who don't have one and their lives are meaningless and empty; sure, they're better musicians than me but they cry themselves to sleep every night and this could be easily remedied if they just swapped their F***ers for a Big Bad Yammy ;-)

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1333149945' post='1598287']
BBs are totally epic and nothing else comes close. I know a few people who don't have one and their lives are meaningless and empty; sure, they're better musicians than me but they cry themselves to sleep every night and this could be easily remedied if they just swapped their F***ers for a Big Bad Yammy ;-)
[/quote]

Sean, looking at your sig, you are obviously a big fan of the BB. What's your take on the difference between the different series ? worth the extra money over the 424 ?