Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried the Marshall 8x10 cabs

dmccombe7

Having spotted a few for sale recently i was curious to know if anyone had tried them.
They don't seem to stay with their owners for very long.

Any reason for sudden changes of heart and selling on quickly.
I was thinking of buying one. Cheaper option than an Ampeg for example.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1332931300' post='1594960']
I'd go for a better quality 410.
[/quote]

This. There's a Warwick WCA 600W 4ohm for sale on here at the moment
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/128411-warwick-4x10-cab/page__hl__warwick"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/128411-warwick-4x10-cab/page__hl__warwick[/url]

Very underrated cabs IMHO, and at £155 is not to be missed. :D
I have no interest in or affiliation to the seller!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1332939423' post='1595138']
This. There's a Warwick WCA 600W 4ohm for sale on here at the moment
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/128411-warwick-4x10-cab/page__hl__warwick"]http://basschat.co.u...ge__hl__warwick[/url]

Very underrated cabs IMHO, and at £155 is not to be missed. :D
I have no interest in or affiliation to the seller!
[/quote]

Had a look at that cab. Like Warwick gear in general but its collection only so not an option for me at 400+ miles away.

Will keep looking though

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1332929121' post='1594925']
Having spotted a few for sale recently i was curious to know if anyone had tried them.

[/quote]

I would guess it's the same reason that PT cut his in half.

I bought one a couple of months ago from eBay when the warehouse in Milton Keynes were knocking them out for £200. I figured for £200 it was worth a pop but wasn't overly expectant on getting a great sound.

Fortunately I have been very pleasantly surprised as I think it sounds great, although the bottom end definitely needs taming. The band absolutely love I too and much prefer my tone over the EBS Proline 410 it replaced.

I must admit it is insanely heavy though, but I am lucky to have a rehearsal space where it can be left in place. Another drawback for some could be the fact that the tweeter can only be set to On or Off, but again I've not found this a problem.

[quote name='jon_kemo' timestamp='1333006188' post='1595966']
I bought one a couple of months ago from eBay when the warehouse in Milton Keynes were knocking them out for £200. I figured for £200 it was worth a pop but wasn't overly expectant on getting a great sound.

Fortunately I have been very pleasantly surprised as I think it sounds great, although the bottom end definitely needs taming. The band absolutely love I too and much prefer my tone over the EBS Proline 410 it replaced.

I must admit it is insanely heavy though, but I am lucky to have a rehearsal space where it can be left in place. Another drawback for some could be the fact that the tweeter can only be set to On or Off, but again I've not found this a problem.
[/quote]

Thanks for that - i wanted to know if it was a usable cab and not a complete failure at these prices.

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1333116039' post='1597691']
You have both Marshall and Ampeg 8x10's :o

Do you have a large house and a road crew to do the work. :lol: :D ;)

That's a lot of cabs for one man.
I'm quite happy to store one for you. :D

thanks
Dave
[/quote]

The joy of playing in a few bands is that you can leave gear scattered across the county.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1332929121' post='1594925']

I was thinking of buying one. Cheaper option than an Ampeg for example.

Dave
[/quote]I have two Ampeg 8x10 , so I don't need anything else. About Marshall 8x10 : Some years ago , a friend of my brother use to play one big Marshall basscab , but he sold it , complaining about a boomy sound with no details . Impossible to cut trough the mix. But my brother said this was a very cheap Marshallcab from a "lowpriced" series. They have far more expensive 8x10 cabs with a thunderous sound , if Marshall is the thing you want. Good luck mate :)

[quote name='clashcityrocker' timestamp='1333276182' post='1599412']
They just seem 'too good to be true' for the price. I played thru a Marshall mb 4x10 (same speakers I presume) last year and was not impressed at all. But that's personal opinion I guess. For an extra 100 or so could get a second hand ashdown abm 8x10, lovely cabs
[/quote] You're damned right ! Ashdown ABM is the way to go. Amazing cab. Fat low end with crisp high and "cut trough mix" middle !