Why become a member? ×

Fender 50s Precision (MIM)

sixdegrees

I've been looking for a black/maple P bass for a while with a budget of up to 700 quid.

I've just been offered a 50s P in black/maple (complete with the bloody awful anodised pick guard) for 340.

I'd describe the condition as 'ex-demo'.

Trouble is, I have concerns over the slotted truss rod, wider neck, vintage radius...the scratch plate I can live with!

So, does anyone have experience of these basses? To me, it sounds better than a standard MIM and the finish is superb. But I still have reservations.

Someone help me out!

For £350???? They usually go for around the 400 to 430 mark on here.

That bloody awful scratchplate would cost about 50 to buy on it`s own :D I have heard nothing but good things about these and I played one a while back in a shop and was impressed.

But I would say that with a 700 budget you could get a used US 2008+ model for around the same money.

Jez

Edited by jezzaboy

340 actually! And, I kid you not, the guy selling it thinks it's a Standard MIM with a replacement plate. So I could probably knock him down claiming that I want to get the 'original' one back on it.

Edit - and only spending half my budget means the other half can be spent on women.

Edited by sixdegrees

I play one, and absolutely love it. Compared it to a standard MIM and 2 MIAs in the shop, and to my ears it was the best sounding; the MIM sounded dreadful, and the MIAs were far too clanky and 'modern' for my taste in a Precision (although this is strange as looking under the scratchplate reveals US pickups...) I also love the neck, and I'm a fan of the jazz profile! It's chunky, but thin front to back, not too dissimilar to a Stingray neck. Very comfy. I have put a black scratchplate on mine though... :rolleyes: but mine's the honey blonde colour, and with the gold it just looked like, well, babysick.

The slotted truss rod isn't too much hassle really, but I've had quite a few Fenders with this style of nut, so I'm well practised in making an adjustment without taking the bass to pieces.

I had one, and the build quality was excellent, as was the sound, and playability. The wider neck took a couple of days to get used to, but from then on no worries. To be honest, at £340 I`d just buy it. If you don`t like it you will easily be able to sell it on on here for that, or even a bit more.

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1332858727' post='1594049']
340 actually! And, I kid you not, the guy selling it thinks it's a Standard MIM with a replacement plate. So I could probably knock him down claiming that I want to get the 'original' one back on it.

Edit - and only spending half my budget means the other half can be spent on women.
[/quote]
The 1&3/4" nut + the vintage style frets are what make these so good to play IMO, at that price buy it quick :o you can't go wrong.

If you want some serious advise - don't waste the other half on women :rolleyes: just get another bass or a cab, something you can rely on :o :happy: :D

Got it!

It was a nervous nights sleep after deciding I definitely wanted it (I thought it might have gone having been advertised since before Christmas). But even knocked another tenner off the price, which went towards a set of strap locks.

Now for a quick wipe over and a tweak with a screwdriver and it's off to rehearsal tonight!

Cheers for all the comments guys.

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1332943644' post='1595233']
Got it!

It was a nervous nights sleep after deciding I definitely wanted it (I thought it might have gone having been advertised since before Christmas). But even knocked another tenner off the price, which went towards a set of strap locks.

Now for a quick wipe over and a tweak with a screwdriver and it's off to rehearsal tonight!

Cheers for all the comments guys.
[/quote]

Nice one, make sure and give us an update to your thoughts after the rehearsal.

Well done, £340 is a great price! I tried one in the old Sound Control up here in Glasgow and it was fantastic, great sound, lovely quality and I really loved the chunky neck. I ordered the black one that was showing as 'in stock' online, only to get an email back telling me it was out of stock and wouldn't be back in for a couple of months. I cancelled the order and subsequently built a bitsa Jazz, and I still regret not having a little patience and waiting longer for a cracking bass :(

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1332857457' post='1594015']
I've been looking for a black/maple P bass for a while with a budget of up to 700 quid.

I've just been offered a 50s P in black/maple (complete with the bloody awful anodised pick guard) for 340.

I'd describe the condition as 'ex-demo'.

Trouble is, I have concerns over the slotted truss rod, wider neck, vintage radius...the scratch plate I can live with!

So, does anyone have experience of these basses? To me, it sounds better than a standard MIM and the finish is superb. But I still have reservations.

Someone help me out!
[/quote]
Lovin' the pickguard, boss.... don't alter it.

Keep it as it is and you'll get a lot more than your £340 for it if and when you decide to sell. That is a steal.

Try and get used to it, tho'... it'll reward you in time. Great basses, those.

Edited by mckendrick

Just for the record, I paid 330 for it.

Took it to rehearsal tonight and...BUTTER! Only on the odd string-skipping riff (Keep the Faith, Money) did I notice the width of the neck. It really cuts through too. I used the tone control wide open for most of the evening but rolled it off for the motown/bluesy stuff. I found that this is such a versatile bass. One pick up, one tone control - perfect. And none of the annoying tinny 'clang' I've experienced with other Maple FB Precisions.

I'll have to report back in a couple of weeks as I'm playing a gig this weekend where stab vests take priority over shiny new basses...