Why become a member? ×

Looking for a new lightweight rig, any suggestions please

police squad

As the title says.
I'm fairly set on mark bass traveller 2x10 and 1x15
but its the amp head.
A while back I tried a gallien Kruger head. small and very light with drive knob, which let you dial in a lovely edge.
I love the edge you can get on valve ampegs.
I read about this GK and just read reliability issues.

so, where next.
Orange bass terror? Mark bass little rocker, some sort of Genz Benz?

I don't want to use any outboard pedals, just my bass, amp and cab.

I gig in a police tribute band and do a few deps. But also my other pub actually has my wife playing bass and I play guitar, hence the reason we want to go lightweight. It's for when she goes out depping.

For the past 10 years we've been using Hartke HA3500 and 4x10 or 1x15 cabs and we've been very happy.

But I'm just about to blow 3K on a lightweight QSC PA system and lightening the bass gear is next.
If I could reduced the weight of my guitar cab i would but as of yet I've not tried.

your thoughts and comments are appreciated

Well I`ve got the GK MB500, had it since December last year, and do 3 hour rehearsals, 2 hour gigs, and not had a problem with it. Apparently there were issues with the previous incarnation, the MB2 - 500, but these are reported to have been addressed with the new MB500.

Had an Orange Terror - great amp, really loud, dial in some great break up, or massive driven filth, but the eq isn`t the most versatile.

Had a TC Electronics Classic 450. Great amp. On-board compressor is great, and the Tubetone control allows anything from crystal clean when off, through valve-type breakup, to pure driven filth.

Had an Ampeg PF500. Tonally, my fave out of the lot, but it wasn`t right for one of my bands. Little bit heavier than the others, though still fits in an over-shoulder bag easily. Nice on-board compressor.

For pure versatility, out of the above I`d choose the TC Classic 450.
For personal preference on tone, the Ampeg.
But I`ve gone GK as it fits my punk covers band the best, and it`s half the size and weight of a laptop, so fits in my leads box.

I was advised to try the Genz Benz Streamliner 600. That too is meant to be very versatile. Genz get a lot of love on here, got to be worth checking out.

I had those cabs and was very pleased with them. Traded them for barefaced and just couldn't get along with the barefaced kit. So I switched to bergantino and literally couldn't be happier.
Along the way I started with a little mark 2, then a Genz shuttle 3 and a 9.
An ibanez promethean and finally a momark tube 800.
I finally feel like I've reached the perfect compromise between weight and tone. I found the Genz just wasnt quite 'me' and the eq didn't quite work for me. The little mark was fantastic and the momark is a very similar amp to be fair.
I also had a lot of time with the orange terror 500, and it was like stepping back in time with the fluffy, wooly sound that broke up early and very limited eq. Not my bag at all.
Give me a mark bass every time. And tbh if I ever shift the berg cabs on its mark bass I'll go back to.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1332584492' post='1590243']
Well I`ve got the GK MB500, had it since December last year, and do 3 hour rehearsals, 2 hour gigs, and not had a problem with it. Apparently there were issues with the previous incarnation, the MB2 - 500, but these are reported to have been addressed with the new MB500.

Had an Orange Terror - great amp, really loud, dial in some great break up, or massive driven filth, but the eq isn`t the most versatile.

Had a TC Electronics Classic 450. Great amp. On-board compressor is great, and the Tubetone control allows anything from crystal clean when off, through valve-type breakup, to pure driven filth.

Had an Ampeg PF500. Tonally, my fave out of the lot, but it wasn`t right for one of my bands. Little bit heavier than the others, though still fits in an over-shoulder bag easily. Nice on-board compressor.

For pure versatility, out of the above I`d choose the TC Classic 450.
For personal preference on tone, the Ampeg.
But I`ve gone GK as it fits my punk covers band the best, and it`s half the size and weight of a laptop, so fits in my leads box.

I was advised to try the Genz Benz Streamliner 600. That too is meant to be very versatile. Genz get a lot of love on here, got to be worth checking out.
[/quote]

Lozz, how do I know that's it's a mk3 MB500. Gak have the mb500 for £415

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1332596537' post='1590459']
what do you use JT?
[/quote]

I have Thunderfunk, SWR, Aguilar and Bergantino.
I would have thought AG GS112'x2 would be a good start for bass cabs. Light enough, IMO and
great lows. Shame I sold some recently.

Or you could look at TC..very pokey for the weight, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick update.
I wanted to try the pf500 and the MB500 side by side through mark cabs.
I did.
ampeg wins hands down on tone.
it's a little heavier, but that sound really suits my playing.
I once recoreded a promotional track for my amp company (I used to make valve guitars amps with a friend of mine)
with Chris Tsangarides (Gary moore, malmsteen, judas priest and anyone in between) and he plugged my trusty old P bass into
an ampeg valve di box. Every since then I've wanted to go Ampeg.

It's appears the best price for the cabs is Thomann.
115 TP and 210TP
cheers chaps

[quote name='GRAHAM SG1' timestamp='1332707495' post='1592011']
My Ampeg PF500 amp and Barefaced Super Twelve T is dynamite, perfect match for me and lightweight :)
[/quote]

That little rig looks amazing!

Yeah, surely 2 2x10's or 2 1x15's would be best?

Of course it's all personal preference, of course; but the old "10s for sparkle 15s for bass" is proper out of the window. The best tone comes from matching speaker sizes! But you say you were happy with the Hartke 4x10/1x15 rig so by all means carry on!

Truckstop

[size=6][sup]Any good to you..? [sup][url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/172021-markbass-std102hf-std115hf-neodymium-lightweight-cabs-for-sale-l540-the-pair/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/172021-markbass-std102hf-std115hf-neodymium-lightweight-cabs-for-sale-l540-the-pair/[/url][/sup][/sup][/size]

Help!!!

don't we mix 10s and 15s anymore.

what's changed and when,
(I've obviously spent too long playing guitars)

JT, yes, ampeg into mark bass. It did sound incredible and you've met my wife, she's got short arms so we want the smaller cabs , that way she can lift them about on her own.

I thought the mix of the 2 sizes is good.
please, more info

[quote name='police squad' timestamp='1333627782' post='1604475']
Help!!!

don't we mix 10s and 15s anymore.

what's changed and when,
(I've obviously spent too long playing guitars)

JT, yes, ampeg into mark bass. It did sound incredible and you've met my wife, she's got short arms so we want the smaller cabs , that way she can lift them about on her own.

I thought the mix of the 2 sizes is good.
please, more info
[/quote]

Nothing wrong with a1x15 and 2x10 mix at all, M. Best sound I had on playback was
115 and 210 and I recall it being pretty decent at the time as well... so not all nostalgia gloss..
I just got fed up breaking my car trying to fit it in..plus it was quite a carry as well.

Lot of mumbo jumbo mentioned here about certain stuff and then re-cycled over and over.
You have good ears and if you think the cabs work together, then enough said.
Tbh, you can't really check out what credentials people might purport to have or not when spouting the speil...so don't worry about it.
It is all opinions and we like the sound of our own voices..in print..!!

If you want to know what is what..talk to G at Courtfield.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1333633439' post='1604576']
Tbh, you can't really check out what credentials people might purport to have or not when spouting the speil...so don't worry about it.
[/quote]

True, although there's not really much anyone can say on this thread is there JT? unless it's backed up with a diploma in identifying the best bass amp for the job! :D

[quote name='StraightSix' timestamp='1333634594' post='1604593']
Let's reverse the question - why do you thing mixing speaker sizes is good...?
[/quote]

always done it in the past with good results.
I'm not an anorak when it comes to my bass sound but some of the best sounds I've heard at my level, (I'm a pub and club player) have been with 15s and 10s.
I find 15s too middley sounding and 10s lack a little thump.
I'm trying to get the best of both worlds without back breaking consequences.

The thing is...some people might say don't mix ..but not many makers actually adhere to this and make a range of cabs featuring different size chassis..
Others say you can't determine what a particular speaker might sound like as chassis spec has moved on...bla bla..but then in the same breath say don't mix.
Also, do cab makers produce a cab purely on spec...?? doubt it..they might do it on paper and then demo the results.
You can bet they will bin the project if on paper it should sound great, but it actually sucks in demo...HOPEFULLY..!!!

You aren't going to walk out of the shops with a great gtr, amp or cab of paper unless you are a idiot, without your ears have given it final approval.
Anyway, not really concerned about an argument for and against.
If it sounds good to you M, then it probably is.