Why become a member? ×

What do you think of this MIJ Precision?

solo4652

Folks,

I've got my eye on this, which the seller says is a 1996 MIJ P. It has a Badass bridge, but the original is included in the sale. Apparently it's in good condition with only minor cosmetic scratches. Googling throws up little information about this flame finish.

Do the Fender experts think it's a genuine MIJ P? Any thoughts about what it's worth?

(Photo now removed)

Steve

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1332274840' post='1586021']
More photos: [url="http://s1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb442/solo4652/"]http://s1206.photobu...bb442/solo4652/[/url]
[/quote]
Looks right enough, I'd guess £350 if you're lucky - up to £500ish if it's really good & what you want, they're quite often on ebay.

If the price is right I wouldn't let that go out of my sight, it is a great looking bass, MIJ is also reknown for quality and attention to details in terms of manufacturing, I have had a play on one of these about 4 years ago, and it played and sounded great, though I must admit to you, expect a heavy bass as the one I tried felt like a 11lb'er to me.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1332280753' post='1586184']
Quick question lads: isn't the truss rod access normally up at the headstock?
[/quote]

I've no idea, but fotoflame instruments came with the same effect on the neck - they were noted for having markings that were supposed to look like McD's Hamburglar on the back. It might be worth checking into the neck a bit more. It's not a problem if it's another MIJ neck, and might even be a bonus if the finish on the neck is given to cracking as well, but a cheapo neck would obviously seriously devalue the bass.

Edit: Actually there's a couple of guitars on [url="http://xhefriguitars.com/page7.html"]this page[/url] that don't have fotoflame necks, so maybe it's nothing to worry about.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Kempy535' timestamp='1332329253' post='1586637']
Id buy it at that. You can sell the bad ass on and buy a replacement bridge. Well worth the money
[/quote]

It comes with the original bridge so, yes - I could recoup some of the cost by selling the Badass bridge. Very tempting...

[quote name='Kempy535' timestamp='1332343797' post='1586989']
Get in bought :) I really like the foto flame Strat I have its an excellent guitar. A Jap made P bass for £300 (after selling the badass) what's not to like :D
[/quote]

You're being very helpful and very unhelpful at the same time! :blink:

Edited by solo4652