Why become a member? ×

What do you think of this MIJ Precision?

solo4652

Concur with the rest that it is a genuine MIJ 'fotoflame' finish bass. My first Fender was a MIJ blue fotoflame, and it was stunning to look at, so much so that I now regret parting with it.

I can't comment much on it playing-wise, as I was but an ignorant teenager when I played it. However, the one that I had suffered from cracks to the lacquer, around the bridge and the plate at the base of the neck IIRC. Purely cosmetic, didn't affect the bass itself.

if a blue fotoflame came up for £340, I'd definitely take it up.

At £340 I'm sure it's great value for money and we all know CIJ Fenders are fantastic. I've had a few and they are hands down better than all bar one US Fender I've had.

Personally the foto flame is a turn off but tats subjective.

Looks to me very much as noted above. I sold one of these for £425 in May 2011.

As far as I've learned they were made across the transition from MIJ to CIJ from 1995 to 1998 tho' I'm open to correction on that.

From that period.... if it's MIJ it will have a U, N or V prefix, CIJ will have an A or an O prefix.

Hope this helps.

Edited by mckendrick

Do they not normally have more than that written on the headstock? I'd want to see a serial number (although that still wouldn't be conclusive) before being more convinced.

The two downsides to the CIJ models are the wood used in the body and the lack of thru body stringing. The body may well be made of basswood, which is more susceptible to dings and knocks as it is a softer wood. Also, all of the non string thru Fenders that I've played didn't have the same clank and rumble that a full-on US made one had.

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1332428292' post='1588231']
Do they not normally have more than that written on the headstock?
[/quote]
They have a facsimilie of the '62 Spag logo. Just 'Fender' and 'Precision Bass'.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1332429565' post='1588271']
Not all CIJ basses are basswood.
[/quote]

OPB 51 SD - Ash
PB 57 - Basswood
PB 57 US - Alder
PB 62 - Basswood
PB 62 US - Alder
PB 62 VSP - Alder
PB 70 - Basswood
PB 70 ASH - Ash
PB 70 US ASH - Ash

Fender Japan website states PB 70 is alder, but it it isn't..., it's basswood.

Hope this helps.

Edited by mckendrick

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1332447627' post='1588629']
Seller says serial number is S028XXX.
[/quote]
That'll be 1995 - one of the first photoflames.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1332321668' post='1586467']
....It's been offered to me for £340 including gigbag. It's miles away from me, so I'm buying it without seeing it. Worth a punt?
[/quote]
At the price... bite his hand off.

Edited by mckendrick

Thank you everybody for your help and advice. I've bought it.

The plan is that it will be the back-up to my main gigging bass which is an Ibanez Blazer. I have a mint 2008 USA P which is too valuable to have lying around unused (I prefer the tone of the Ibanez), and too valuable to risk getting damaged at pub gigs as a back-up for the Ibanez. So, it may well be that I'll sell the USA P. Black/white/maple if anybody's interested...

Steve

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1332560128' post='1590126']
That'll change. Mark my words.
[/quote]

Well - we'll see! The Blazer has already taken over from my USA P and my USA G&L L2000. If the Fotoflame is as good or better than the Blazer - especially in the mids tone - I'll be very happy indeed.

[quote name='tallmanmax' timestamp='1332538732' post='1589908']
May well be interested in the badass for my MIJ 62 Precision. It's got Hipshot HB3 tuners fitted and a decent bridge seems to be a logical step as far as up-grading goes.
[/quote]

I get the bass on Tuesday. if I decide to sell the Badass, I'll certainly let you know.

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1332599002' post='1590516']
Do Badass bridges actually make any difference?
[/quote]
I suppose it's a matter of taste. They certainly don't make a Jazz Bass sound more like a Jazz Bass. They offer mildly more sustain and some say a more 'level' sound across the Hz band. I always take them off pre-owned Fenders and replace with an OEM type. I find quite a number of Japanese and 'standard' Fender basses have this mod. I'm sure some players find the characteristics of the Badass valuable but I've never found that to be the case [b][i]for me[/i][/b] in live or recording stuations with the bands I play in.

Folks,

I got the bass this morning. It was in a bit of a state, but a few hours of scrubbing, cleaning and fumigating have made it much more presentable. Doesn't smell like a rugby changing room now. I've removed the badass and replaced it with the original bridge. New set of strings and then the fun started with a setup. Out came the neck shim that was there to compensate for the the thicker baseplate of the Badass. Adjusting the truss-rod's a real pain because you have to take the neck off each time. You can't even get to the adjuster by taking off the pickguard. Neck off, tweak truss-rod, neck on, tune up, neck off...

Anyway, it's sounding good. I'm surprised at the trebly tone, even with half-wounds on. Through the practice amp it sounds appreciably more jazz-like (compared to the Ibanez) than I was expecting. Band practice tonight - we'll see how we get on.

Thanks to everybody for your help and advice with this,

Steve

[quote name='tallmanmax' timestamp='1332538732' post='1589908']
May well be interested in the badass for my MIJ 62 Precision. It's got Hipshot HB3 tuners fitted and a decent bridge seems to be a logical step as far as up-grading goes.
[/quote]

Pm'd you. Badass 2 now for sale if you want it.

[quote name='Kempy535' timestamp='1332316443' post='1586391']
Nope they based loosely on the 60's style re issues. So truss rod s adjusted from the bottom of the neck
[/quote]
I adjusted the neck of a MIJ last night for a friend. Truss is semi-visible at bass of neck, so you have to loosen the strings, loosen the neck til you can lift it enough from the body to access the truss, which on this one was a screwdriver job. Luckily one quarter-turn did the job. Otherwise, tighten, tighten strings, wait, check, loosen neck etc etc.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1332493282' post='1588969']
Thank you everybody for your help and advice. I've bought it.

The plan is that it will be the back-up to my main gigging bass which is an Ibanez Blazer. I have a mint 2008 USA P which is too valuable to have lying around unused (I prefer the tone of the Ibanez), and too valuable to risk getting damaged at pub gigs as a back-up for the Ibanez. So, it may well be that I'll sell the USA P. Black/white/maple if anybody's interested...

Steve
[/quote]

Do you have some pictures of your American P as I may be interested.

Cheers
Rowley

[quote name='Rowley Birkin QC' timestamp='1333318482' post='1600114']
Do you have some pictures of your American P as I may be interested.

Cheers
Rowley
[/quote]

Here you go:

[attachment=104013:001.JPG]

Plenty more photos available

Steve

Edited by solo4652