Why become a member? ×

2x10 cab

Ou7shined

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1331638671' post='1576211']
That's not bad at all when you think about it mate, the MarkBass 102P Cab lists about £650, so you've built something for a lot less, that's likely a lot better, looks a lot cooler and it's all yer own.
Reckon you should get your logo on it and make it official :)

Eude
[/quote]

I suppose so. It would be cool to A/B it with an original one eh.

Sheesh, I can't wait to let you guys hear this at the next bash. :D

I might drop Dave line about the logo.
He has a mate who made him up some temporary gel logos to go on his early cabs for trade fairs etc. It would be good for a laugh.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1331674864' post='1577122']
Awesome looking cab.
[/quote]

[quote name='gilmour' timestamp='1331682697' post='1577282']
Looks very good, much better than some of the commercial made cabs available on here.
[/quote]

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1331712236' post='1577402']
That just looks superb Rich, yet another string to your very talented bow.

As always well described and quality pics.
[/quote]

Thanks again guys. :)

Out of curiosity, I decided to stick it on the scales last night.
The original Traveller 102P is quoted on the website as being 15kg. My monstrous behemoth with all it's extra bracing and battens along every joint weighs in at a colossal...

*drum roll*

... 15.8kg. Nae bad eh. :D

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1331721066' post='1577549']
Thanks again guys. :)

Out of curiosity, I decided to stick it on the scales last night.
The original Traveller 102P is quoted on the website as being 15kg. My monstrous behemoth with all it's extra bracing and battens along every joint weighs in at a colossal...

*drum roll*

... 15.8kg. Nae bad eh. :D
[/quote]

That's nice and manageable matey.
Anything over 40lbs (old money) becomes a ball ache to move around a lot, so that's comfortably under the achey ball limit.
Good work that man!

The drivers you used must be a lot lighter, as you have a fair bit of extra kit on there compared to the MarkBass as far as I can see.

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1331721239' post='1577556']
That's nice and manageable matey.
Anything over 40lbs (old money) becomes a ball ache to move around a lot, so that's comfortably under the achey ball limit.
Good work that man!

The drivers you used must be a lot lighter, as you have a fair bit of extra kit on there compared to the MarkBass as far as I can see.

Eude
[/quote]

They really are incredibly light. In my hands there wasn't a hell of a lot of difference between one 2510 and the tweeter. I can't find the overall weight of either online but if you look at their specs [url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIAPT80&browsemode=manufacturer"]Eminence APT80 Supertweeter[/url] vs [url="http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIDLIT2510&browsemode=manufacturer"]Eminence Deltalite II 2510[/url] you'll see that the tweeter's magnet is actually heavier. :o

Let's hear it for... [size=5]Neodymium[/size].

To be fair it will take some time to feed into the supply chain, but I suspect speaker prices won't come down as fast as they went up.. It's petrol all over again.. How can a price rise in crude oil immediately affect the prices of petrol actually in the filling station..? And if it does, why does a price reduction in crude oil not immediately lower the price of petrol in the filling station?

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1331901211' post='1580617']
So Rich, how does this sound compared to your big ass STD 104 HF?
Would two of these be a match for it?...

Eude
[/quote]

Two of these would certainly rip the nuts off my 4x10 but I don't have an amp that'll go down to 2 ohms to try it.

It would be interesting to see what happens 1 on 1 though.

I'll put my neck on the line here and say that I think my cab is probably the more articulate of the two (I feel like a heretic saying that).... maybe its just the honeymoon period talking... maybe not.

I haven't actually A/B'd them yet... something I could try this weekend if the neighbours nip out for a bit. The band won't be having any rehearsals for a couple of weeks as our guitard has a heavy work load at uni, so that opportunity is out.

I'm really not sure what to expect pitting an 8 ohm 4x10 against a 4 ohm 2x10. I certainly don't remember the 4x10 ever making the dishes in the kitchen cupboards rattle themselves into pieces the way this wee beastie can... but then again I've probably never cranked it in the house as I usually only ever get it out for gigs.

The 2x10 is way more sensitive to the master volume on my wee amp than the 4x10. I had a guy round yesterday afternoon getting his bass set up (he's a pretty hard player using a pick) and I had the vol down to almost nothing (literally a degree or two more would turn it off) and it was still too loud for the volume police next door.

Edited by Ou7shined