Why become a member? ×

Is this normal for a G&L?

CBbass

Hey,

About to buy a bass but there's one thing which I'm slightly concerned with. There's a gap on the neck pocket joint, I thought the necks were made to fit perfectly. Is it perhaps a temprature change based thing and simply needs the neck to be re-aligned?

Anyway, here's a pic. There sides not in the picture are tight, it's just the bottom of the joint. Can anyone tell me (if you have ever owned one) if this is normal? Thanks.

The corners have a noticable gap then theres a slightly smaller gap along the bottom, I've never seen a G&L in person so I really can't tell but aren't they supposed to be really tight (no gaps)? Thanks for the comments so far though!

That "gap" is perfectly within tolerances. Try getting a fag paper all the way in. :huh:

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1331563761' post='1574851']
Is that to be expected of your average good quality control G&L? :P
[/quote]

QC at G&L is spot on... far better than say that of a leading manufacturer you may have heard of.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1331567886' post='1574952']
That "gap" is perfectly within tolerances. Try getting a fag paper all the way in. :huh:

QC at G&L is spot on... far better than say that of a leading manufacturer you may have heard of.
[/quote]

I know that, but is this example in particular worth going for based on this? If it's not then it's no problem I'll just find another one. I know G&L's are great, I just want to find one which is perfect :) . If people here have ones with necks with gaps in like this then I'll go for it.

it looks like the radius of the corner of the neck is larger than the radius of the neck pocket from the picture. Not sure if this is normal or not but I wouldn't expect it from a G&L. The ones I have played have all been top notch. I can't see it affecting the sound much but if its going to annoy you then look for another one.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1331569740' post='1575007']
it looks like the radius of the corner of the neck is larger than the radius of the neck pocket from the picture. Not sure if this is normal or not but I wouldn't expect it from a G&L. The ones I have played have all been top notch. I can't see it affecting the sound much but if its going to annoy you then look for another one.
[/quote]

This.

It's probabl;y perfectly fine. But it's going to annoy the hell out of you. So get a different one.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1331570584' post='1575033']
I can't see it that well but if its a noticable gap it would annoy me.

Is the bass a USA version? If so, shop for another.
[/quote]

Yeah, its a USA l2000 with a jazz neck and custom finish. Im pretty ocd with basses and won't settle so I guess ill have to pass this one. Shame... You had a ray with the same problem if I remember correctly, right?

Guess I'm passing on this bass, if anyone wants to know where it's from PM me. It's a black-burst with a jazz neck (vintage tint maple). I'll delete my post if it's against the forum rules to mention this though. Thanks for the comments guys!

[quote name='CBbass' timestamp='1331571354' post='1575057']

Yeah, its a USA l2000 with a jazz neck and custom finish. Im pretty ocd with basses and won't settle so I guess ill have to pass this one. Shame... You had a ray with the same problem if I remember correctly, right?
[/quote]

I found out the Ray never left the factory like that. After it got to the UK someone swapped out the neck to a Matching Headstock/Rosewood neck. It didn't work. Finally got one fresh from the factory and it's great!

Edited by Musicman20