Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Caffe Americano in Swansea, Wales... terrible management :(

BigBassBob

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1339772322' post='1694138']
Not to mention no "Mind your head sign" the pedals on the piano look like they could hurt a bit.
[/quote]

Yeah but elf n safety is SUCH a burden on small businesses in this country, it's gawn mad. Damaging the odd punter is cheaper innit.

Like many others I can see both points of view. I also in my day job work in what could be loosely considered a "Customer Service" environment (Education). I know it only takes one thing to set some people off, and the chances are your party of 16 were already aggrieved and looking for a fight finding themselves seated in a small space right up against the band, and it all whent downhill from there. Letters of complaint do tend to increase and exagerate the situation. Believe you and me I have been accused of all crimes bar piracy by Parents who have been agreived at something I had nothing to do with, nor any control over. Think both sides can learn a valuable lesson here. I would think myself as a punter would not like much more than an accoustic duo type arangement if I was sitting down to eat. I think the only time music and food mix well is in a dinner-dance situation where the band starts when the eating stops, or in an italian resteraunt (on one of my wedding aniversaries, at his resteraunt, had the pleasure of having Renato of "rene and Renato" fame sing to myself and the wife - pity he passed away and the restraunt changed hands).

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1339773270' post='1694167']
Like many others I can see both points of view. I also in my day job work in what could be loosely considered a "Customer Service" environment (Education). I know it only takes one thing to set some people off, and the chances are your party of 16 were already aggrieved and looking for a fight finding themselves seated in a small space right up against the band, and it all whent downhill from there. Letters of complaint do tend to increase and exagerate the situation. Believe you and me I have been accused of all crimes bar piracy by Parents who have been agreived at something I had nothing to do with, nor any control over. Think both sides can learn a valuable lesson here. I would think myself as a punter would not like much more than an accoustic duo type arangement if I was sitting down to eat. I think the only time music and food mix well is in a dinner-dance situation where the band starts when the eating stops, or in an italian resteraunt ([u]on one of my wedding aniversaries, at his resteraunt, had the pleasure of having Renato of "rene and Renato" fame sing to myself and the wife - pity he passed away and the restraunt changed hands).[/u]
[/quote]

What? DURING the song? That's an anniversary to remember!

The Venue can't have its cake and eat it. Taking large bookings and shoehorning them into a space too small is obviously not going to work. Often these situations can be fudged and it works out. This time it didn't and the customers have taken out their frustration out on the band. IMO Instead of blaming the band the venue should be apologising to them and the customers.

I almost never move furniture as that's the venues job. I would also avoid asking customers to move for the same reason. However the band shouldn't have been put in a position were they have to ask people to move.

I'm sure anyone would be unhappy if they booked a meal and this happened. Bad management.

Edited by geoffbassist

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1339765733' post='1693982']
Over to Fumps live at the scene...
[/quote]
thank you Charic

Well today has seen some harrowing Scenes here ladies & Gentlemen !
Earlier on today it looks as though several imp like creatures lost control of a high speed piano that has careered straight through the wall of a full [s]green house[/s] drinking establishment . The whole place was in dispensary as all 5 member's of the public who was inside escaped with a serious chafing !

Seriously though i think it was a case of poor planning, a school buy error on the venues part. A band is there to play not move furniture round & not have to work round someone who cannot plan correctly.
Tempers have been stretched & that's basically it. If you book a people, pay them that is all

I've heard a story somewhat like this not that long ago - they're trying to book an act I play with so this has sorted my opinion of the venue. They're on a 'gigging blacklist' according to the acts management..? Sounds right to me!

[quote name='TomKent' timestamp='1339776008' post='1694233']
I've heard a story somewhat like this not that long ago - they're trying to book an act I play with so this has sorted my opinion of the venue. They're on a 'gigging blacklist' according to the acts management..? Sounds right to me!
[/quote]

Is this with the same place?

Tiny place for a blues band to play! For shame venue owners - you should really have considered that after 3 or so gigs they were not going to be suitable for shoving in a corner.

Thing is - the OP said the band weren't paid, then they just got expenses, while the venue says they were paid in full. Did the guitarist run off with the money?

Oh and this comment from the venue:

[quote name='americano' timestamp='1339769154' post='1694064']
Unfortunately on this occasion the situation has escalated and has led to a member of the band venting in public, the band member has chosen to vent in anger which is essentially what happened to him on the evening in question when having to deal with complaints from our customers about his attitude.
[/quote]

Gets right up my nose because the original complaint was that the guitarist was the one who moved tables etc and caused the customers/venue trouble, not the bass player. Be careful that you're not just randomly pointing your finger around, it undermines any credibility in your assertions that the band was in the wrong.