Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I like the Jazz. But I also like the Precision. Which is better?

mildmanofrock

Hi folks. I have a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz. And right now, that's all I have. So I have my sights on another bass to call on should things go wrong. I'm a passive pickup man.

First, I was looking at the Fender Aerodyne, because I quite like the idea of a Jazz/Precision blend in one bass. Then I looked at the Fender Precision Special. Then the Squier VM looked good - a cheap second bass with good sounds.

But then, I'm considering going for an all-out Precision, just for something different, live and in the studio. So the choice widens.

Should I stay Jazz or go Precision? If I go for a Precision, can anyone recommend a good model please, that won't need European credit bailout funding? There seem to be so many to choose from.... Highway... reissues... Steve Harris signature. I have choice paralysis. :)

Thank you, good people, I appreciate it.

as we all know, there is no 'better'...

but it seems to me you like the jazz and the p bass.. so why not do the PJ route.. either a jazz Reggie, or a PJ precision... the best precision ive ever played was either an MIJ Squire P, or a Pino custom shop... you got a great jazz bass, so a P seems logical..

Edited by bubinga5

For me it depends on what sort of thing you're playing. I love precision tone but moved to a jazz because I found that the P tended to fall back in the mix as I went up the neck.
with the jazz you lose a bit of low end balls but get more focus and power higher up.
I'd still like to get a 5 string P for sight reading gigs.

[quote name='mildmanofrock' timestamp='1331463240' post='1573020']
If I go for a Precision, can anyone recommend a good model please, that won't need European credit bailout funding? :)
[/quote]

Check out the G&L SB2 Tribute. If your funds are good, you could opt for the USA model, though for the price difference there is not too much seperating them. It has a jazz width neck, so you should feel at home. ;)

[url="http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/SB-2/index.asp"]http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/basses/SB-2/index.asp[/url]

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1331464019' post='1573035']
I love precision tone but moved to a jazz because I found that the P tended to fall back in the mix as I went up the neck.
with the jazz you lose a bit of low end balls but get more focus and power higher up.
[/quote]

+1

I have solved this problem by having my 2nd Jazz fitted with flats!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1331465650' post='1573086']

Fender Roscoe Beck.

Both pups in single-coil mode, you have a Jazz. Solo the neck, and switch it to series, near-as-damn-it P. Both in series is just ridiculous. Laahvley.
[/quote]

I'm guessing it's an active? I've never really got on with actives. The ones I've owned sounded a bit artificial and keyboardy. And I've had trouble with their high output distorting things in signal chains. I am, however, prepared to be persuaded otherwise. It's a beaut.

[quote name='mildmanofrock' timestamp='1331466215' post='1573110']

I'm guessing it's an active? I've never really got on with actives. The ones I've owned sounded a bit artificial and keyboardy. And I've had trouble with their high output distorting things in signal chains. I am, however, prepared to be persuaded otherwise. It's a beaut.
[/quote]

Nah... 100% passive. :-)

I know a few things about Jazzes, Up until recently I had a Geddy, a 62 reissue and I still have my old MIJ Squier Jazz. I thought Precisions were for old fuddy duddys until I saw a guy I know playing a battered US one through a GK combo which changed my preconceptions of P basses overnight. It sounded so big and fat and ballsy and defined that the next day I swapped my MM SUB for an old MIJ Precision on this very forum. It's a 57 reissue which has a nice shallow maple neck. It's great live and sounds especially good when recorded compared to my Jazzes which sometimes could get lost in the mix. You could pick up something similiar on Basschat or Ebay for about £400.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1331466572' post='1573122']
I know a few things about Jazzes, Up until recently I had a Geddy, a 62 reissue and I still have my old MIJ Squier Jazz. I thought Precisions were for old fuddy duddys until I saw a guy I know playing a battered US one through a GK combo which changed my preconceptions of P basses overnight. It sounded so big and fat and ballsy and defined that the next day I swapped my MM SUB for an old MIJ Precision on this very forum. It's a 57 reissue which has a nice shallow maple neck. It's great live and sounds especially good when recorded compared to my Jazzes which sometimes could get lost in the mix. You could pick up something similiar on Basschat or Ebay for about £400.
[/quote]

Thanks gjones, good advice.

If I'd the choice between a Jazz or a Precision, it'd be the latter, purely for the simplicity and wider neck which suits me better. I've had a Mex in my time which was fine, a decent Japanese should be do-able for £400 or less. Of course, for a wee bit more wonga a 2EQ Ray would be my weapon of choice over either....:)

when i was in my previous rock band, it was the p bass all the way! I have had a mex p for about 5 years now and after i changed the pickups, i haven't played a better one.

Trouble with the musicman stingrays is the quiet G. I sold it because my jazz bass which cost 1/4 of the price was just as good but with a G string that was as full in tone as the other strings.

Might be worth having a look at the squire classic vibe p basses.

Mark Hoppus sig. Fender jazz/precision hybrid might be worth a go.

Reverse P pickups with an offset jazz body and neck makes for a really nice sounding and feeling bass. No tone knob, but the standard tone you get falls somewhere between jazz and precision IMO and they look wicked.

I went through a phase of 'needing' a Jazz and a P and honestly, I never even bothered taking a particular one to particular gigs. I just took what was being playedore at the time. Most people in a live situation won't notice what bass is being played, and in recording situations you'll be EQ'ing it anyway to get the sound you want!

Personally, I find that my Blazer (excellent P substitute) and my Eagle (jazz-ish neck and reverse p pups) are perfectly adequate for most situations. Unless I need a 5th or a fretless!

Truckstop

Im using a Mex built Roger Waters P and the build quality and playabilty is top notch. Ive tried US P's that were dogs and some were sublime.

For the price difference, I dont think the US ones are THAT much better than the Mex ones. IMHO. I also picked up a Squier CV thats really well put together.