Why become a member? ×

Finding *THE* bass - following from the 'end of GAS' topic...

Gust0o

I've had my fretless Wal for nearly 30 years and I've tinkered a lot with it over the years - changing the body etc and building up a 'bond' with it. I do love it.

It's taken me a lot longer to know what i want from a [i]fretted [/i]bass, though,

However it's important to GET ON WITH THE MUSIC even if you've got something you only half like, rather than constantly considering the next bass, IMO.

Hi all, i am in the process of looking to sell the two Fenders in my signature as i am just a bedroom player who really has no need for three quality basses. I like my G&L that will be the last to go, but the ONE could be another G&L. I just want one bass but will it be the one, I have not had either Fender long thinking these would be the ones i would keep for ever, but here i am 7 months later thinking of changing again. I am sure i am not the only one in this position. Cheers Paul.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1330692736' post='1561683']
I've had my fretless Wal for nearly 30 years and I've tinkered a lot with it over the years - changing the body etc and building up a 'bond' with it. I do love it.

It's taken me a lot longer to know what i want from a [i]fretted [/i]bass, though,

However it's important to GET ON WITH THE MUSIC even if you've got something you only half like, rather than constantly considering the next bass, IMO.
[/quote]
changing the body on your WAL? the most beautiful part? for what might I ask? another Wal body? intrigued I am

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1330682363' post='1561368']
A psychologist would have a field-day with this thread! :o :lol:

On finding "the one" must one abandon all others as long as ye shall live? :blink:
[/quote]
This is the core principle behind marriage...only basses don't judge us if we play around a bit... :blink:

[quote name='paul j h' timestamp='1330701949' post='1561898']
Hi all, i am in the process of looking to sell the two Fenders in my signature as i am just a bedroom player who really has no need for three quality basses.
[/quote]
Oh get off. :) I'm essentially a bedroom player too (for now)

I knew as soon as I played it that my 79 p bass was one day going home with me. Totally agree with the "feels like coming home after a long journey" that people have said. It totally does! It does everything I want it to, I love even the things that others might pick up on as faults; to me those little buzzes and what have you are just part of its personality. The idea of getting rid of it is totally ludicrous, and as much as I am completely over the moon excited about the arrival of my overwater jazz (which Im actually selling basically all of my other basses other than the p in order to fund the small amount i need to put towards it) I know that the p will always feel like home. :) just wish I felt the same about my hubby LOOOL kidding ;)

This...

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1330607541' post='1560230']

I don't feel like I have to polish it and stare lovingly at it all the time, or talk about it all the time, or feel compelled to play it all the time. It just IS.

Mine sometimes stays in its case for a week after a rehearsal, or sits in the corner of my studio unplayed (I rarely practice or work on my technique, I just play), I don't think about my amazing bass all the time or anything like that. HOWEVER, when I strap that bass on and play, or restring it, or clean and oil the fingerboard, do maintenance, whatever - there is a deep feeling of peace, familiarity, comfort, care, and one-ness. It is MY bass and everything about it fits my requirements, the looks, the weight, balance, the materials, the feel of the neck
[/quote]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1332028496' post='1582412']
Strange, because I seem to be able to make all basses sound like me.
[/quote]

That's probably the subject of another worthwhile thread, for new players wondering how to go about setting their sound up.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1332028496' post='1582412']

Strange, because I seem to be able to make all basses sound like me.
[/quote]
I have an uncanny ability to sound like Les Dawson's piano playing, what ever bass I have in my hands

Some of the posts in this thread remind me of the Rifleman's Creed. I've adapted it for bass...

[indent=1][i]This is my bass. There are many like it, but this one is mine.[/i][/indent]
[i] [/i]
[indent=1][i]My bass is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.[/i][/indent]
[i] [/i]
[indent=1][i]My bass, without me, is useless. Without my bass, I am useless. I must play my bass true.[/i][/indent]
[i]
[/i]
[indent=1][i]My bass is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its fretboard and its sounds.[/i][/indent]
[i] [/i]
[indent=1][i]I will keep my bass clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...[/i][/indent]

Edited by Sean