Why become a member? ×

70s Precision on Preloved

TheGreek

Advertised on Preloved - located in Andover Hamps..

[url="http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/104896168/vintage-fender-precision-modified-bass-guitar.html"]http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/104896168/vintage-fender-precision-modified-bass-guitar.html[/url]

Hmm- lots to check out there. The bridge and pickups are obviously not original, but also the pickguard doesn't fit properly over the body routing. Also no holes for the thumbrest and / or ashtrays which there should be on a 73 P.

Also the machine heads are not 70s. And the neck plate doesn't have a large "F" logo on the back "which a '73' should have.

And the pictures of the headstock are not great.

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1330265163' post='1554802']
Shouldnt the serial be on the neckplate (with the large F?)
[/quote]

It should on a '73. It moved onto the headstock mid 76ish. He does say it might be a '78, but unfortunately, we can't see the headstock properly in the photos!

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1330266379' post='1554837']
It should on a '73. It moved onto the headstock mid 76ish. He does say it might be a '78, but unfortunately, we can't see the headstock properly in the photos!
[/quote]

Ah mine was an early 76 (Serial was on the Neckplate). Thought all the 70's were the same. Thats what I love about this forum, you learn things no end!

Neck looks reasonably legit to me, body is either a poosly fitting aftermarket scrathplate, or a non original body with original scratchplate.

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1330331812' post='1555642']

Neck looks reasonably legit to me, body is either a poosly fitting aftermarket scrathplate, or a non original body with original scratchplate.
[/quote]

I don't think the body is original. Even as late as 1978, Fender were fitting ashtray pickup covers. There are no holes for those for the bridge ashtray. I suppose the body might have been filled and refinished, but given the other uncertainties on this, I would need a lot of re-assurance.

[size=5][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][sub]Serial nos. were nominally moved to the headstock for 1976 models. [/sub][/font][/size]

[size=5][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][sub]P Basses retained the 'F' neck plate until phasing in of the fully titled 'Fender' neck plate in 1982/83[/sub][/font][/size]

I've had a lot of corresponcence with this chap who sent me a photobucket link, he tells me he has no real knowledge about the bass other than what he found on the net and was told when he got it. The pictures show that the neck has Schallers installed and a late 70s serial that checks out. He hasn't had the neck off since he owned it and had no knowledge of pot codes etc. I'm assuming the body is a replacement. I decided not to go for it as I have found another bass I'm interested in that is totally original. It may be worth contacting him if anyone is interested in the bass as he seems genuine enough and is willing to negotiate.