Why become a member? ×

Now THIS is what a Rick should sound like!

Cosmo Valdemar

A pretty rare egg, featuring a wonderful daydream of a bassline, perfectly suiting the song's summery meander. The bass player is Peter Giles, briefly of King Crimson, and on a glorious old Rickenbacker - either an early 4001 or more likely a 1999. Enjoy!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snwZ36EH6L4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snwZ36EH6L4[/url]

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1330073171' post='1552170']
Rush, Xanadu, from the Exit Stage Left film. Plus you get a double-neck thrown in for good luck.
[/quote]

if only mr peart had been playing TWO drum kits thatwould have been even better than everything turned up to eleven

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1330079393' post='1552291']
How about this tone?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pCw3Aw9yyk[/media]
[/quote]

Now that is truly gorgeous bass tone. Don't get me wrong, but to my rather bass-inexperienced ears a lot of that tone is in the overdrive and EQing after the bass. COuldn't a J bass make pretty much an identical tone with the same processing ?

I'm actually very interesed in this. I've tried out a couple of RIcs (admittedly just in shops) and I didn't feel they added any "clankiness" or anything much else that you don't get in a decent J bass. Please educate me !

I didn't mean to start a discussion, but what the hell! My personal favourtie Rick tones are probably those of Roger Glover, Jon Camp,and Geddy Lee circa Signals/ESL. And Mr Squire, of course :)

The song I posted just struck me as a wonderful example of the instrument - those flute-like quality of the high notes and the slightly snarly, snappy low notes. It was just a little different to the norm and also an excuse to post a great song!

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1330102265' post='1552853']
Hmmm, not for me. You've gotta play a Rick with a pick!
[/quote]

Yup, like this...... I've always thought of Ricks as having a nasal twang about them..............[b]not[/b] in a derogatory way!
Like Lemmy's "solo" at around 1:15
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVFJrOlwdkw[/media]

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1330087113' post='1552457']... to my rather bass-inexperienced ears a lot of that tone is in the overdrive and EQing after the bass. COuldn't a J bass make pretty much an identical tone with the same processing ?

I'm actually very interesed in this. I've tried out a couple of RIcs (admittedly just in shops) and I didn't feel they added any "clankiness" or anything much else that you don't get in a decent J bass. Please educate me !
[/quote]

There has indeed been quite a lot of discussion over this exact point! Try searching for some of the older (and newer!) threads about Geddy Lee's tone and which particular basses he was supposed to be playing on which track on which album, etc. Funnily enough, some of the tracks which I thought were the archetypal Rick/Jazz/Steinberger tone, were (according to other members on here) not those basses at all!! It's all very confusing...

To my ears though, the Rick tones that define the style are Chris Squire's and Dave Meros's. Clang-tastic!!

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1329944342' post='1550252']
A pretty rare egg, featuring a wonderful daydream of a bassline, perfectly suiting the song's summery meander. The bass player is Peter Giles, briefly of King Crimson, and on a glorious old Rickenbacker - either an early 4001 or more likely a 1999. Enjoy!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snwZ36EH6L4[/media]
[/quote]
If that is the Peter Giles that I know,I shall remind him of this!
Peter plays bass in Aluna,and is an entertaining guy.
He now uses(IIRC)a 60's Jazz with a Villex tone contrl straight into the PA.

Edited by lee4

[quote name='lee4' timestamp='1330113478' post='1553064']
If that is the Peter Giles that I know,I shall remind him of this!
Peter plays bass in Aluna,and is an entertaining guy.
He now uses(IIRC)a 60's Jazz with a Villex tone contrl straight into the PA.
[/quote]

Wow, if it is him get him on here! Funny if it turned out it wasn't a Rick after all... :lol: