Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a Muse album

Fitzy73

[quote name='Bidd' timestamp='1329954592' post='1550527']
Being the slightly obsessive Muse fan that I am, I actually prefer Hullabaloo over the rest of the standard studio albums if you want a complete album experience. 1CD of live performance and 1 CD of some great B sides - if you're a metal head you might appreciate "Yes Please", which is just a brilliant song in my humble opinion
[/quote]

You're right on the B sides. First album was good, and there were a lot of great B sides around in the fairly early days. Yes please is a great song.

For me they just slowly descended into grandiose space rock w@nkery . There were a few good moments along the way, but the early stuff really is where it's at for me. But I get that a lot of people came to them later, and the grandiose space rock w@nkery is, to them, what Muse is about.

It always takes a couple of listens before I get into any new Muse album. I also used to get annoyed about Matt Bellamy's gaspy vocal style, but I don't really notice it now.

Definitley start with Origin Of Symmetry, give it at least three listens before moving on to Absolution. Give that a couple of listens before moving on to Showbiz.

Then listen to some early Radiohead, Queen's 'night at the opera' and 'Grace' by Jeff Buckley. Just for a bit of perspective. ;-)

I've been into Muse since the Showbiz/OOS days, and I can definitely recommend both of those. Absolution is I guess their break-through album that garnered them more mainstream attention and appeal. They had a bit of a blip with Black Holes (but only IMHO) and kind of redeemed themselves with Resistance.

Tracks I would listen to (plus album it came from, may be easier to get off of Youtube/iTunes etc):

[i]Sunburn (Showbiz)[/i] - played in Drop D and some OD

[i]New Born (OOS)
Plug-In Baby
Space Dementia
Citizen Erased/Microcuts[/i]

[i]Stockholm Syndrome (Absolution)
Interlude/Hysteria[/i] - this is [i]the[/i] rock riff of the Noughties :lol:

[i]Map of the Problematique (Black Holes)
Knights of Cydonia[/i]

[i]Uprising (Resistance)
Resistance
MK Ultra[/i] - some damn great bass and guitar riffs in this track
[i]Exogenesis Symphony[/i] (all parts)

This is my list of listen-to tracks - emcompasses all that I feel Muse means to me, so may not be your cup of tea, but should be a suitable starting point

HTH,
Ian

Edited by Bottle

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1329994053' post='1550881']
I've been into Muse since the Showbiz/OOS days, and I can definitely recommend both of those. Absolution is I guess their break-through album that garnered them more mainstream attention and appeal. They had a bit of a blip with Black Holes (but only IMHO) and kind of redeemed themselves with Resistance.

Tracks I would listen to (plus album it came from, may be easier to get off of Youtube/iTunes etc):

Sunburn (Showbiz) - played in Drop D and some OD

New Born (OOS)
Plug-In Baby
Space Dementia
Citizen Erased/Microcuts

Stockholm Syndrome (Absolution)
Interlude/Hysteria - this is [i]the[/i] rock riff of the Noughties :lol:

Map of the Problematique (Black Holes)
Knights of Cydonia

Uprising (Resistance)
Resistance
MK Ultra - some damn great bass and guitar riffs in this track
Exogenesis Symphony (all parts)

This is my list of listen-to tracks - emcompasses all that I feel Muse means to me, so may not be your cup of tea, but should be a suitable starting point

HTH,
Ian
[/quote]

You forgot the Osaka and Finland Jams :P

The glasgow one with bagpipes was pretty cool too!

I'm die hard Muse fan I've seen them live 5 times and I believe they are probably the best live act ever

Defiantly start with Origin of Symmetry, however Showbiz is an awesome debut album i just don't think they found there sound as a band until OOS. Listen to OOS then Absolution. Then do Showbiz.

The latter two Black holes and Revelations and The resistance are a little more erm.............. commercial? I think they were trying to appeal to a wider audience. I love The Resistance for the haunting sounds the band produce across a number of Tracks, but I wouldn't say its the band at there best.

Oh and if you get chance the Hullabaloo Soundtrack has some wicked b-sides

I've seen them live three times, each time better than the last (Plymouth Pavilions, Eden Project and Teignmouth), and live I don't think there are many bands that can touch them. I always find it remarkable how tastes vary, as every time they are mentioned one of the principle complaints is Matt Bellamy's voice. Personally I would kill for a voice like that-his range is nothing short of incredible IMHO. Then again there are singers I can't stand either.
The first album I bought was Origin of Symmetry, which has some real classics on it (Plug in Baby was the first song of theirs I heard, although I confess my first reaction was 'bloody hell, Radiohead have woken up'). My personal fave of their albums is Black Holes and Revelations-we used to do Knights of Cydonia, but I was forced to abandon the attempt as I just couldn't sing it credibly enough. It's a brave band that attempts a Muse cover, although it seems every bass player wants to do Hysteria for the intro. Resistance I am not crazy about-I find Bellamy's lyrics have become increasingly cringe-inducing in recent years.
Incidentally I have recorded in the same studio as Muse recorded the first two albums, with the same engineer-yes, I have used a toilet used by Matt Bellamy-the engineer said they has the best rhythm section, bar none, that he had ever seen.

Surprisingly I see all albums mentioned except H.A.A.R.P which I thought was a cracking live album and the DVD which came with it isn't bad either.

They were staggeringly good at the Lancashire cricket ground gig a couple of years ago. Their choice of support bands wan't bad either. I thought the Editors were excellent (with some nice Ric action going on).

Edited by Leon Transaxle