Why become a member? ×

Norman Watt Roy's Bass

Grim13

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1330203377' post='1554193']
Even if you had the cash spare, what could you do with it. Really. Especially if you respect the history of the instrument.
[/quote]

Gig with it.
What's the point in owning a musical instrument if you ain't going to use it.

[quote name='mentalextra' timestamp='1330952986' post='1565181']
Its a bit of history, wants putting in a museum!
[/quote]

Its a piece of wood, play it or use it with your canoe, but museum...Why ?
Norman made the music and probably wouldve done it with or without that particular Bass.

Would you put him in a museum when he croaks ?

On this particular bass, I'd play it, I'd be very careful where i played it, but I'd play it.

Firstly, Norman is certainly an acquired taste, and with respect, isn't in the Entwistle/McCartney/Jaco league of past owners, that would push its value into the stratosphere, and thus deem it a display/private playing instrument.

Secondly, it is not in near mint condition, or of specific rarity (It's rare all'right, but it's a '62 Jazz, with an alleged likely refin, they are not exactly unseen), that would therefore deem it appropriate to preserve it, and not play it on a regular basis.

This is certainly not my opinion on all vintage basses, but on this one, yes, play it, and....... i bet it plays, and sounds, the dogs cajones!!

Had a play of this the other night:

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/16/blockheads.jpg/][IMG]http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/595/blockheads.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

From what I understand it's not a refinish, but it has been over-sprayed with a clear-coat in the past, but original shoreline gold finish underneath.
It's certainly not a collector, so anyone saying that it should be put in a museum I find very odd. It's a knackered Jazz bass, albeit with a cool history, that should be played.
It's pretty mellow with rounds fitted, very similar tone to my '73 J....but my '73 J has flats on it lol, so that gives an idea to it's mellownessness.

Si

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1331911471' post='1580830']
... and Norman is there to hand it over. Even then id be hesitant to hand over 10G. Six maybe.
[/quote]

I once looked into hiring Wilko Johnson (with Norman on bass, natch) and the fee would have been £4000 for the evening.

[u][b]There's[/b][/u] your answer.

Offer him the £10k for the bass, but only if Wilko Johnson plays a free gig at your local with Norman playing the bass before handing it over to you.

Be prepared to spend an hour or two drying it though. Have you seen him play live?

:lol: