Why become a member? ×

Hi from Bristol

Red Dog

Hi all! What an impressive site very taken with how well ourganised it all is!! A little
bit about me... Been aroung Basses for forty odd years, started with an old Hofner violin
being a lefty it converted well and it filled my early teens. Through the years I traded and
eventually ended up with Hagstroms, Fenders and now a L/H Steinberger which is now going
to be part of a home studio which will entertain and amuse me no doubt!

I've recently sold an 80's L/H Fender Precision Bass which was modified by my old friend
Ashley Pangborn. Before the days of Ian Middleton and the Tooting Workshop I founded
the original Ashley Pangborn Guitatrs Ltd along with Ashley.Firstly, it was based at Whomes
Pianos in Croydon where for a couple of years the company made and repaired. Ashley had
big plans and made his first aluminuim fingerboard bass here, we decided to move to Redhill
in Surrey to Music and Entertainment where the forerunners of his his most well known ranges
were built.

After an bad illness I decided to leave the the company and Ashley moved the business to Tooting.
Sadly I lost touch with him but if anyone knows how I could get in touch with him I would very much
like to know. nowerdays I hand out with Steve Baker at Electric Ladyland Guitars in Bristol this is
the home of rare and vintage basses in the South West woth a visit where you can play and buy
basses that you might dream about!

Well thats about it if any does know if the information I seek I would be much obliged ... Cheers!

Welcome aboard - plenty of us Bristol bassers here...many of whom will have ventured into Old Market, I'm sure. Interesting to read about your Pangborn history - I recall seeing a review of one of the aluminium fingerboard fretless basses a very, very long time ago...was it a Pbass type with two split pickups? I'd also love to learn more about Ashley's work - by the time I could afford to buy a good bass he was long out of business.

Orright my luvvur? Welcome to yet another Bristle based bass basher :) hope you enjoy it here. Must admit i have only ever admired the Electric Ladyland stock from afar, really must pop in one day.
I used to love Ashley's Warlord basses. Many moons ago I fell in love with one at the Bass Centre, I'd tried a very nice JD Roadie first but the Warlord blew it away both sonically and visually. I'd have gone back to buy it if i hadn't stumbled across a Wal going for silly money instead.

[i]Hello there & welcome aboard from another Bristol dweller. [/i]
[i]Used to lust over Ashley Pangborns too, always wanted a Chieftain myself.[/i]
[i]Cheers[/i]
[i]Nick[/i]

Edited by nick

[quote name='gcordez' timestamp='1330089608' post='1552537']
Blimey, theres loads of Bristol bassers here.
[/quote]

There is a lot down this neck of the woods, maybe one or even a few of us could consider idea of arranging a 'bass bash' in the future(?) ;)
Could be quite an event....

Edited by nick