Why become a member? ×

'That' Chord again !

lowdown

The Beatles blow my mind. I can take or leave earlier stuff of theirs but man, words don't describe their collective songwriting abilities or their sound. John Lennon always tried to distance himself in later life from the band, god knows why because with the exception of a few tunes, he never did anything any better.

OK - now you got it, what are you going to do with it? Its like dogs chasing cars. Great fun until you catch it. I had a mate once who used to agonise over why he used to keep finding elastic bands all over the streets of the town where we lived. He pondered the issue for over a year until, one day, I told him that the bands were dropped by postmen and after a 10 second 'wow', he was devastated at the mundane reality and the fact that he had actually enjoyed the mystery of it all more than the knowing.

So, now we know. Its G, C F A and D. In theoretical terms its a voicing of a F6/9 chord (F, G, A, C and D = i, III, V, VI & II (IX)). Paul played the D, which is the relative minor.

What makes it unusual/exceptional is the [i]arrangement[/i] rather than the notes.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1329336626' post='1540956']
I don't get what you're trying to say; that music becomes mundane once you understand how it's put together? Isn't that like asking what's the big deal about English literature because it's just a jumble of 26 letters?
[/quote]

Thanks, you just ruined English Lit for me...... :)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1329336626' post='1540956']
I don't get what you're trying to say; that music becomes mundane once you understand how it's put together? Isn't that like asking what's the big deal about English literature because it's just a jumble of 26 letters?
[/quote]

Bilbo probably wants to know why [you] found the breaking down and theoretical underpinning of the chord, and its reconstruction, so exciting, and what that knowledge will bring to your music, what is it teaching you?

It taught me a lot when at about 16 I had a sort of epiphany when shown a complex chord that I'd loved hearing. I subliminally took in many musical messages from that and they inform my musicality even now.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1329336225' post='1540944']
So, now we know. Its G, C F A and D. In theoretical terms its a voicing of a F6/9 chord (F, G, A, C and D = i, III, V, VI & II (IX)). Paul played the D, which is the relative minor.
[/quote]

So its a case of how many Beatles does it take to play a Jazz chord [D Minor7 add 11] ?

Garry

Edited by lowdown

My point was that, when you break down all the details and have all the knowledge required, you still can't comprehend the magic. If the whole of English Literature is down to 26 letters placed in various orders, William Shakespeare is no better than Jeffrey Archer. But its the ideas behind the letters that count and, in this case, knowing the notes and the chord is only half the story. The arrangement is another part of it and then there is the question why did they chose to open the song like that'? Add those factors together and you have something that is pretty much unprecedented and unrepeateable. Its brilliant.

'Magic' Musical moments in pop history - I was talking to someone yesterday about that very thing.
Something magical to ones self is not always magical to others.
I think that chord unites everyone and goes down in Music folk law.
Would be interesting to see what other 'moments' people on this forum can come up with.

Garry

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1329384597' post='1541462']
My point was that, when you break down all the details and have all the knowledge required, you still can't comprehend the magic. If the whole of English Literature is down to 26 letters placed in various orders, William Shakespeare is no better than Jeffrey Archer. But its the ideas behind the letters that count and, in this case, knowing the notes and the chord is only half the story. The arrangement is another part of it and then there is the question why did they chose to open the song like that'? Add those factors together and you have something that is pretty much unprecedented and unrepeateable. Its brilliant.
[/quote]

Can't argue with that.

Lowdown is right, of course, that the magic of music can be subjective - but the fact that there exists somewhere a little bit of magic for everyone is, well, just magic and 'that' chord is a near-perfect example of what it's like when it happens.

[/quote]
The variables which create magic are hard to comprehend aren't they. For me it's really all down to whether I FEEL some communication from it. It's a beautiful 'chord', but I imagine it came about from happy accident and thrilled the Beatles when they played it the first time as much as it thrilling some BC members. I think that thrill a musician feels when something beautiful like this happens often communicates to audiences because there ARE common musical elements that many can relate to and feel a visceral reaction to. In this case I admire the Beatles' discipline in not repeating it and trying to milk it for all it was worth.

Brilliant - that chord has always stood the hairs up on the back of my neck since the day the record was released.

Forget the name of the chord, who devised, built the bloody thing and recorded it like that in the first place? - That's the genius of it IMHO. B)

Edited by Jazzneck

[/quote]

I can't argue with that either. The magic is always the important thing.