Why become a member? ×

SELLING ON HERE BEATS EBAY

rockabillybob1

Bought and sold loads of stuff on here, generally very smooth and pleasant transactions. Couple of minor irritations here and there but nobody got hurt. I feel much more confident that no one is going to shaft you when trading on here as it is something of a community - when the odd bad deal has been publicised it is great to see the way folks rally round.

I've had a bit of a mad run of selling, buying and trading stuff on here of late. Never had any problems with anything on BC, we're all just brilliant lovely people who look after our gear. And then sell it on.

Don't forget to donate to keep the site running.

I've traded a couple of things on here, without any problem, and i've bought and sold on eBay too, again with no real problems, and most were foreign purchases. The down side of ebay is the double fee's. I've no problem with eBay fee's (They are a business after all, and you can't question the coverage the item gets with their service), they have a maximum £40 fee on items in the thousands which is good. However, i do resent them getting another set of fee's via Paypal (eBay owned), when someone buys your gear, although its a users choice of course.

The best part of basschat though, for me anyway, is the contacts i've made, of some fab folk, people who, for the most part, genuinly know their stuff (A truly rare thing, even most 'experts' in guitar shops are very lacking in my experience!), good advice on all manner of subjects, and some humour thrown in. No-one takes things too seriously, or gets overly personal (There have been moments i've seen! ;) ), or offensive etc, and my knowledge, and friendships have both increased to the good.

Only negative is that i probably spend too much time on here, than is reasonable!! Thanks to you all, for at least keeping me away from the sh*te bright box in the corner of the room!! :)

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1329521959' post='1543949']
Bought and sold and traded here on the forum. I much prefer Basschat than Ebay. No fees (other than a donation) for a start.
[/quote]

This!! Don't forget the donations chaps. There may be no fees as such, but if we want that to continue the odd donation every now and again is the least we can do! B)

[quote name='rockabillybob1' timestamp='1329243105' post='1539509']
I have bought some really great gear of here and sold some aswell no fees genuine bass users and you never get ripped off i no this may not be the place for this thread but it had to be said id rather buy off a fellow bass player than anywere else
[/quote]

Buying of here is the easy bit, wait until you want to sell something.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='deanbean502' timestamp='1329648520' post='1545210']
Buying of here is the easy bit, wait until you want to sell something.
[/quote]

It would be interesting to know what percentage of basses put up for sale actually sell. It's not really a Basschat problem though, I'm sure most basses put on eBay with a BIN or a start price close to the market value don't sell either.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1330368291' post='1556374']
It would be interesting to know what percentage of basses put up for sale actually sell. It's not really a Basschat problem though, I'm sure most basses put on eBay with a BIN or a start price close to the market value don't sell either.
[/quote]

I agree, I don't think it's a basschat problem, although in my experience, eBay exposes your item to 1000x the audience. From my experience of basschat, more people are up for swaps and trades. I've done this 3 times on here, but never managed to sell anything. Sign of the times also i think!!

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1330368291' post='1556374']
[/quote]

It seems to depend on the market sector. There is plenty of movement at the budget end of the price scale, and deluxe basses always seem to shift.... more problems in the £300 - £1500 range perhaps?

In the last few months I 've bought strings, fretboard markers and a bass. I've sold two guitars and a bass. Sales are happening.

As a previous Powerseller on eBay (for my business and nothing to do with basses), I have tons of horror stories, not about customers although there were a couple of those, but from eBay themselves with ridiculous policy decisions and at that time, ever-increasing fees. I very rarely purchase from there now and where possible, I approach the seller away from eBay. I have noticed that some companies have lower prices on eBay than they do on their own websites (Rickenbacker parts spring to mind) so bear this in mind.

As regards Basschat, I have bought one bass and one bass amp from here and both purchases went without hitch, both sellers being very friendly, very professional and very helpful.

Basschat every time!

Bought myself an amp on here and I sold my old Stingray. both very pleasant. I've listed plenty of other stuff but it always ends up on ebay after a while. I've got plenty of stuff I want so maybe I'll have a go at trading next time.

I don't mind dealing on eBay but rarely do I buy anything directly off it. My last buy was listed on there with no bids, so I approached the seller by email and negotiated an awesome price. Mine now :D

The Ric and the Hartke both came from Gumtree, never a bad experience there either.