Why become a member? ×

NBD - G&L USA L2500 - "none more orange!"

Jakester

Just thought I'd share my latest acquisition, that's prompted the sale of my L2000T ([url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/167591-fs-gl-l2000t-now-with-extra-pics/"]here[/url] if you're interested!).

It's late 90's USA L2500 in what I understand to be 'Clear Orange'. It was purchased by the former owner in 1998 as a special order from G&L in the states. I'm not sure what the cap wood is, but the pictures don't do it justice - it shimmers.

The body has natural maple binding, and an original 5-string saddlelock bridge secured with 7 screws - the more recent ones for 5ers are body-through and there's a school of thought that means that doesn't allow the full resonance to transfer.

It's the old 4+1 headstock configuration (nice bit of maple on the headstock too!) but there's no immediate balance issues.

Came with G&L hardcase and all case candy.

The sound is a little more "modern" sounding than the L2000T - it takes a touch more effort to bring a jazz-twang or precision-thump out of it than the more modern guitar, but its natural sound is very much to my liking indeed. The B-string is great - holds its tension well so it's barely distinguishable from the others, which IMO wasn't the case on the L2500T I had briefly.

If anyone can ID the strings from the widings on the headstock, I'd be grateful - the former owner couldn't remember what they were, and I'd like to know as the B is great.

Anyway, now to the pics:

Shimmery!

Close up of the binding:

Older bridge, as I understand it:

Any idea as to the strings?

Nice bit of wood:

USA "dot" present:

[quote name='jonno1981' timestamp='1328970218' post='1535437']
Was this the one on gumtree? If yes then you beat me to it!! Hope it plays as great as it looks.
[/quote]

Yep, off the Birmingham Gumtree. I'd been idly considering trying a cheapo 5-er and was scanning eBay and the like, so when I came across this it just seemed like it was meant to be!

Lovely.

I had one like that except mine had a maple board. It was a true monster of a bass, thunderous B string and a tone like a Precision on steroids.

Yet another of those "why on earth did I sell that" basses :-(

What's the neck profile like Jake? Mine was pretty substantial but still surprisingly playable.

T

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1328983661' post='1535716']
Wow you really got that one on Gumtree for a steal of a price.
[/quote]

Yes indeedy! Very pleased with that! TBH I hadn't planned on spending anywhere near that on a 5er, as I still wasn't convinced I'd get on with one after selling that L2500T, but I tried it at the seller's house and loved it, and went straight to a 2.5 rehearsal, only swapping to my jazz once for a particularly fiddly tune.

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1328984123' post='1535728']
What's the neck profile like Jake? Mine was pretty substantial but still surprisingly playable.
[/quote]

I have limited 5er experience, but though it's quite wide (obviously!) it doesn't feel too unwieldy in thickness. From their website, it looks like G&L only offer one 5er neck but I'd swear it's thinner than the L2000 and definitely thinner than the 5er Tribute I sold to EB. Could just be me justifying it to my meself, of course! ;)

As I said above, I had real problems the first time I played a 5er, but this time it just 'clicked'. I dunno whether I was just approaching it differently - I played much more around the 5th fret than the last time and that made a heck of a difference.

[quote name='Joebass' timestamp='1328990854' post='1535850']
Those strings look like the Warwick red label strings to me, they're Warwicks budget strings. I bought a set once and they looked just like.
[/quote]

That's interesting - they don't feel like cheapies to me, but if they work...

Can anyone else confirm?

Lovely, i sadly need to downsize my collection after moving to a flat so i'm thinking about selling all my basses apart from the Lakland and using the money to buy a good 5-string - does anyone know ballpark prices for new and second hand USA L2500s?