Why become a member? ×

Stingray 5 With Status Graphite Neck Question

Rumple

I'm thinking about getting another Stingray 5, I've had a rosewood necked H before but I'm preferring maple necks at the moment and fancy an HS or HH, finding one secondhand in the right spec and colour is proving hard, one option is to order exactly what I want but I'd rather go down the secondhand route, maybe getting one with a rosewood board and swopping the neck to a graphite Status one.

So the question is, how does a Graphite neck on a SR5 compare in sound and tactile wise to a maple or rosewood fingerboarded neck?

Cheers

R.

I had a fretless Ray 5, and looked into converting it by going down the Status route. As far as I know, the neck profile replicates the original. In terms of sound, expect a slightly more aggressive but more tonally even sound with a less compressed sound than Maple and colder but clearer than Rosewood. Do be aware that Status aftermarket necks come as fretted blanks- without hardware. If you want the factory to drill out all the holes/set it up, it does cost more than the already considerable expense.
(I DO own a Status, Btw..)

Replacing the neck could be an expensive way of getting a stingray 5 together.
And it's a big risk if you don't know exactly what it will sound like.
I have a SR5 with a rosewood fingerboard and I like the dark tone, but I have been impressed by the sound of basses I,ve tried with maple boards with carbon rods in them (sadowskys / lakland) they have both brightness and woodiness with a more even tone which seems like the best of both worlds to me.
Worth checking out.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1328806560' post='1532999']
They leave them blank in case you want to fit non-standard hardware, such as sealed tuners which are smaller in diameter than the originals (Schaller ABM?) and have fewer retaining screws etc.
[/quote]

That makes sense.
[quote name='dub' timestamp='1328812576' post='1533133']
Replacing the neck could be an expensive way of getting a stingray 5 together.
And it's a big risk if you don't know exactly what it will sound like.
I have a SR5 with a rosewood fingerboard and I like the dark tone, but I have been impressed by the sound of basses I,ve tried with maple boards with carbon rods in them (sadowskys / lakland) they have both brightness and woodiness with a more even tone which seems like the best of both worlds to me.
Worth checking out.
[/quote]

I think you're right, I'm just weighing up all the various options of getting what I want, a secondhand Ray plus the cost of a Status neck is going to probably equal close to the price of ordering a brand new Ray to my spec from MM.

[quote name='dub' timestamp='1328812576' post='1533133']
....but I have been impressed by the sound of basses I,ve tried with maple boards with carbon rods in them (sadowskys / lakland) they have both brightness and woodiness with a more even tone which seems like the best of both worlds to me.
Worth checking out.
[/quote]

If you thought basses with wood necks and graphite reinforcement were good, then check out Vigier Passion/Arpege Series III and Series IV basses. Graphite rods instead of a truss-rod..

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1328815566' post='1533213]

I think you're right, I'm just weighing up all the various options of getting what I want, a secondhand Ray plus the cost of a Status neck is going to probably equal close to the price of ordering a brand new Ray to my spec from MM.
[/quote]

All too true, I'm afraid. You might be better off seeing if a s/h 'Ray 5 with a Status neck pops up. Unfortunately, you may have to wait forever for that to happen!
The cost put me off, too, and I sold my Fretless 'Ray 5 eventually.

Also, Oli@bass had a staus necked stingray, and he posted a thread of extensive sound comparisons between that, maple necked, rosewood and mahongany versions. I can't find that thread now but give him a shout I'm sure he'd be willing to help!

In my opinion, the status neck is the ideal compliment to the stingray sound.

[quote name='Duarte' timestamp='1328880071' post='1534234']
Also, Oli@bass had a staus necked stingray, and he posted a thread of extensive sound comparisons between that, maple necked, rosewood and mahongany versions. I can't find that thread now but give him a shout I'm sure he'd be willing to help!

In my opinion, the status neck is the ideal compliment to the stingray sound.
[/quote]

Thanks, Sound clips would be very helpful, I'll get in touch.

You should ask OBBM.

He has a graphite necked SR5 - I had a play on it once and it was immense. I thought it was much nicer than the stock neck, although a costly mod. The other thing (that I'm given to understand having never owned one) is that the graphite necks are much less subject to environmental change than wooden ones. I find with my SR5 that when the seasons change it needs to go off to the luthiers for a rod check.

If only I could afford a graphite neck :(

[quote name='gilmour' timestamp='1328889335' post='1534437']
You should ask OBBM.

He has a graphite necked SR5 - I had a play on it once and it was immense. I thought it was much nicer than the stock neck, although a costly mod. The other thing (that I'm given to understand having never owned one) is that the graphite necks are much less subject to environmental change than wooden ones. I find with my SR5 that when the seasons change it needs to go off to the luthiers for a rod check.

If only I could afford a graphite neck :(
[/quote]

When I get a minute I'll send him a PM, I need to get a cable from him anyway so I'll kill 2 birds with one stone :)

An SR5 is definitely going to be my next project, with or without Graphite.

• 1 year later...

im sort of at the same place as the op.... i was a bit shocked that the stingray neck for a 4 comes without peg holes drilled?? i was hoping to do the neck swap myself but i would be a bit spooked about drilling those holes in the right spot. Surely status could drill those for the customer if they requested it? Also the nut ...does it even come with one?

I have a StatusRay as I call it, the Status graphite necks are the best in the business imho, the sonic differences are a brighter tone, more even harmonics, but be careful if you push the treble settings though, the lovely brightness can turn into a horrible brittle glassy sound, the tuning stability is amazing and really the biggest plus for me, I am a bit of animal and have pounded my bass on stage for 2 hours straight, checked the tuning and the thing was rock steady all night.

The status necks are EBMM factory specs in terms of dimensions, the fretboards (phenolic) are very comfortable and flat.

The work very well for everything from slap, tap, finger style or good old simple pick and play :) Status will supply you with a neck fully loaded to go, if you pay them, I found a couple of excellent guys in the Midlands to do my work, in particular Lance Perkins at the Guitar Studio near Evesham is one of the VERY best. I am sure they may be others out there who can do a Status Graphite conversion for you, cost is going to be around £100 depending on what you want (I had Hipshot and few other little trick bits)

Bottom line is a Graphite neck worth it on a Stingray, for me YES, good luck mate.