Why become a member? ×

Pick wear

musophilr

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1328869385' post='1533905']
I have worn out 3 of them in the last year, and I only use a pick on 3 songs in the set... :o
[/quote]

They do wear out. But they're so cheap I don't really care. Just buy 'em in bulk and keep a good stash in your case.

I just don't like thin picks on bass. The feel is all wrong and I just don't feel like I have the same level of control. And, it might just be me imagining it but I think they sound better than thin picks too.

Pick choice is as personal as any other piece of equipment, and like lots of other bits of gear what sounds good in isolation doesn't always work in a band context. I really like the attack sound that I get with hard picks, but stick a clean(ish) guitar in the mix and it suddenly disappears.

And picks wear out - faster than strings the way I play. It's just a fact of life.

If you're unhappy with the picks your using go to your local music shop and buy a selection of different ones to see what suits you (and the sound you need for your band) the best.

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1328879979' post='1534233']
@ them that use rigid picks ... any string wear? I'd rather grind the end off the pick than unravel the windings off an expensive set of strings ...
[/quote]

I've thus far never broken a bass string full stop, let alone worn through one with a plastic pick... I don't play anything any more expensive than Rotosound or D'addario and I don't spare them any abuse at all! So, unlikely in my experience.

I'm using Dunlop 3mm Big stubby. Hard attack when I dig in and soft but clear when I don't. Some wear on the tips but I don't think I've ever thrown one away because it was too worn.

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1328879979' post='1534233']
@ them that use rigid picks ... any string wear? I'd rather grind the end off the pick than unravel the windings off an expensive set of strings ...
[/quote]
[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1328881016' post='1534261']
No string wear that I've ever noticed.
[/quote]

None here either.