Why become a member? ×

Musicians ear defenders/muffs?

TRBboy

I've got some Alpine Musicsafe ear plugs, which are great, but at rehearsals and the like I get fed up with faffing about taking them in and out, and then I have to wash them too, etc, etc.

Just wondered if anyone knows of any ear defenders/muffs which are aimed at the music industry, which attenuate the noise level but retain a good degree of clarity? It would be much easier to just pop them on and off!

Ta.

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1328119700' post='1522180']
Plus a million bajillion.

An investment you won't regret.
Any earplugs you may find you'll have to take in and out. I find my ER 15's so comfy I leave them in all night.

Dan
[/quote]

ACS all the way. they cost a lot and they feel weird when they mould them to your ears. And you can take the filters out and use the moulds for in-ear monitoring too. You just don't want to loose them!

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1328116403' post='1522109']
I've got some Alpine Musicsafe ear plugs, which are great, but at rehearsals and the like I get fed up with faffing about taking them in and out, and then I have to wash them too, etc, etc.

Just wondered if anyone knows of any ear defenders/muffs which are aimed at the music industry, which attenuate the noise level but retain a good degree of clarity? It would be much easier to just pop them on and off!

Ta.
[/quote]

I've got a set of Alpines - they're good plugs - I don't have the available dosh to spend on moulded ones, but if I did, then I'd go for those.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1328117561' post='1522139']
So why do you need to be so loud at rehearsal?

Seriously.

G.
[/quote]

In the average band with say, two (or even one) guitars, bass and drums, even with everyone playing very low, this is still enough to damage your hearing. I cant remember the exact amount of decibles required to cause damage, but I know it is comparatively low. Even the drums alone, played reasonably low can cause damage. If you doubt this, then do some research.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

I've got no problem with the Alpines, they work fine, it would just be easier to have something I could just slip on and off.

We're a pretty balls-out rock band with two guitars, and unfortunately I can't turn the drummer down! We practice at more or less gig volume really.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1328133617' post='1522568']

In the average band with say, two (or even one) guitars, bass and drums, even with everyone playing very low, this is still enough to damage your hearing. I cant remember the exact amount of decibles required to cause damage, but I know it is comparatively low. Even the drums alone, played reasonably low can cause damage. If you doubt this, then do some research.
[/quote]

I was informed from level 42's sound man that it's 85db. Though I would think it would be that region as every one is different.

Dan

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1328133617' post='1522568']
[/quote]
Does this help?

From http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg362.pdf

[color=#113a67]
[size=4]The health effects of noise at work[/size][/color]

[size=4][b]Hearing loss[/b][/size]

[size=4]Noise at work can cause hearing loss which can be temporary or permanent. People often experience temporary deafness after leaving a noisy place. Although hearing recovers within a few hours, this should not be ignored. It is a sign that if you continue to be exposed to the noise your hearing could be permanently damaged. Permanent hearing damage can be caused immediately by sudden, extremely loud, explosive noises, eg from guns or cartridge-operated machines. [/size]But hearing loss is usually gradual because of prolonged exposure to noise. It may only be when damage caused by noise over the years combines with hearing loss due to ageing that people realise how deaf they have become. This may mean their family complains about the television being too loud, they cannot keep up with conversations in a group, or they have trouble using the telephone. Eventually everything becomes muffled and people find it difficult to catch sounds like ‘t’, ‘d’ and ‘s’, so they confuse similar words.

[size=4]Hearing loss is not the only problem. People may develop tinnitus (ringing, whistling, buzzing or humming in the ears), a distressing condition which can lead to disturbed sleep.[/size]
[size=4]Remember: Young people can be damaged as easily as the old[/size]
[color=#113a67]
[size=4]Noise levels[/size][/color]

[size=4][b]What are the action levels and limit values?[/b][/size]
[size=4]The Noise Regulations require you to take specific action at certain action values. These relate to:[/size]
[size=4]I the levels of exposure to noise of your employees averaged over a working day or week; and[/size]
[size=4]I the maximum noise (peak sound pressure) to which employees are exposed in a working day.[/size]
[size=4]The values are:[/size]
[size=4]I lower exposure action values: – daily or weekly exposure of 80 dB; – peak sound pressure of 135 dB;[/size]
[size=4]I upper exposure action values: – daily or weekly exposure of 85 dB; – peak sound pressure of 137 dB.[/size]
[size=4]The actions you need to take are described in the rest of this leaflet. Figure 2 will also help you decide what you need to do.[/size]
[size=4]There are also levels of noise exposure which must not be exceeded:[/size]
[size=4]I exposure limit values: – daily or weekly exposure of 87 dB; – peak sound pressure of 140 dB.[/size]
[size=4]These exposure limit values take account of any reduction in exposure provided by hearing protection. [/size]