Why become a member? ×

Badass vs Gotoh

GreeneKing

I'm not certain that this is in the right section but hey.

I've got a Badass II on my Flea and it's been filed and does a perfectly good job. I fitted a Gotoh 201 onto my Warmoth and whereas they don't seem to have grabbed the imagination off the bass public so much it seems to be as good as the Badass if not better.

I'm thinking of getting another Gotoh for my Jazz 'u'like unless anyone can persuade me a Badass (or any other bridge) is significantly better.

Peter

I like the Hipshot bridges. I've got a 'Vintage' on my Jazz-thing:

And I'm about to replace the bridge on my precision with one of these:

(Which uses 3 of the standard Fender 5-hole fittings)
I want a bit of side-to-side adjustment on that one...

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='170266' date='Apr 5 2008, 02:35 PM'].....Gotoh seems to be as good as the Badass if not better......[/quote]

glad you asked this pete, i was wondering the same thing......so it's a gotoh 201 going onto my jazz once it's arrived (cheaper & IMO looks better!). :)

(will also try it out on my PB, but that sounds great already).

Edited by kdphysio

Technically anything denser than a piece of folded steel, [u]should[/u] make a noticable difference.

I firmly believe whilst a BA is better than the std folded Fender article there are better bridges than BA.... eg Schaller Gotoh Hipshot ABM....

I'm sure theres others.....

for EASE of fitting and if you cant or wont take a drill to your body (bass not your belly button...!) Then a BA is a great option.... But as for being the Ultimate.....

Errrrr non monsieur!

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='170266' date='Apr 5 2008, 02:35 PM']I'm not certain that this is in the right section but hey.

I've got a Badass II on my Flea and it's been filed and does a perfectly good job. I fitted a Gotoh 201 onto my Warmoth and whereas they don't seem to have grabbed the imagination off the bass public so much it seems to be as good as the Badass if not better.

I'm thinking of getting another Gotoh for my Jazz 'u'like unless anyone can persuade me a Badass (or any other bridge) is significantly better.

Peter[/quote]

Hi Peter, I took a Gotoh bridge off the flea to have the BadAss installed, the difference was not a subtle one

BadAss every time for me

Rgds

Mark

[quote name='Marcus' post='170346' date='Apr 5 2008, 05:29 PM']Hi Peter, I took a Gotoh bridge off the flea to have the BadAss installed, the difference was not a subtle one

BadAss every time for me

Rgds

Mark[/quote]
I've often wondered if the Badass is not another Basschat bandwagon that everyone jumps on. Ok the choices are limited for direct replacement without drilling new holes, but if Badass are so great, how come all the UK's custom builders dont use them.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='170368' date='Apr 5 2008, 06:31 PM']I've often wondered if the Badass is not another Basschat bandwagon that everyone jumps on. Ok the choices are limited for direct replacement without drilling new holes, but if Badass are so great, how come all the UK's custom builders dont use them.[/quote]

Good point .. I was thinking the same about custom builders .. seem to go for Hipshot !

I'm after a new (string thru) bridge ... looking at Hipshot A &/or Badass III ?
Anyone got a Hipshot Transtone ... any good ?

[url="http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=259"]http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=...etail&p=259[/url]

Si

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='170368' date='Apr 5 2008, 06:31 PM']... but if Badass are so great, how come all the UK's custom builders dont use them.[/quote]

Aesthetics mostly, I'd imagine - They can't be described as elegant, can they? :)
(In my opinion they suit precisions, but not jazzes...)

One of my main requirements for a bridge is quick-release for the strings, once I've got the new one none of my (5) basses will require me to poke the entire length of each string through a hole - which is as it should be, I reckon !

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='170307' date='Apr 5 2008, 04:09 PM']Allparts

[url="http://www.allparts.uk.com/gotoh-bass-bridge-p-1679.html?p=product"]http://www.allparts.uk.com/gotoh-bass-brid....html?p=product[/url]

Peter[/quote]

Ta much